News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgolub

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on December 14, 2016, 06:15:27 PM
Photo of Construction This project will provide mobility improvement on the North bound Bruckner Expressway between Wilkinson Avenue and Hutchinson River Parkway exit ramp, construct an exit ramp from North bound Hutchinson River Parkway to Bartow Avenue and reconfigure Pelham Parkway interchange. .

Maybe this means they'll get rid of that atrocious merge going from the Hutch onto I-95 south.  I wonder what the exit number for Bartow Avenue will be.  Probably either 4 or 4A.

D-Dey65

I'm trying to envision how either of these projects are going to be carried out, because the NYSDOT site isn't providing me any pics or maps. All I see when I look up anything in the Bronx is the Bruckner Expressway/Sheridan Expressway deconstruction project.

NJRoadfan

That section of the Bruckner was completely rebuilt in 2002-03, any reason why they didn't do it then? Also part of that construction is on NYTA ROW as the New England Thruway starts at Pelham Parkway (the transition of which used to be MUCH more noticeable before the above reconstruction was done).

cl94

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 14, 2016, 11:42:24 PM
That section of the Bruckner was completely rebuilt in 2002-03, any reason why they didn't do it then? Also part of that construction is on NYTA ROW as the New England Thruway starts at Pelham Parkway (the transition of which used to be MUCH more noticeable before the above reconstruction was done).

You say that like it isn't still a noticeable transition.

As far as part of it being on NYSTA ROW, NYSDOT typically takes the lead on projects that are on both. It's one giant interchange, so one project makes sense. They didn't mention anything about the SB side, but I always take the Whitestone if coming from the Hutch and going to the Island just to avoid that merge.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Duke87

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 14, 2016, 02:55:54 PM
Speaking of the I-95/Pelham Parkway Interchange, what were those extra RIRO ramps from the west-to-north and south-to-west outer ramps?

Service access to the train tracks. The NY & New Haven Railroad used to have a maintenance facility there.

Quote from: dgolub on December 14, 2016, 06:56:21 PM
Maybe this means they'll get rid of that atrocious merge going from the Hutch onto I-95 south.

Not really room available to do much about that. And given that the description specifically mentions the northbound Bruckner, seemingly out of the scope of this project. What I am guessing this will involve is the interchange with Pelham Parkway being reduced from a full(ish) cloverleaf into a parclo, with the aim of eliminating the nasty weaving in the area which is the source of frequent traffic jams.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

My guess is that they're going to get rid of the NB-WB loop ramp because it's redundant. Widen the bridge over Pelham Parkway to get rid of the stop sign or move things around a little to make it a left from EB Pelham to I-95 NB (more likely).

Adding the new exit from the Hutch will help with some of this as well, because traffic to Baychester and Co-Op City from the NB Hutch currently has to get off at Pelham and immediately hop onto the New England Thruway, only to get off at the next exit.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Duke87

Quote from: cl94 on December 15, 2016, 12:34:08 AM
move things around a little to make it a left from EB Pelham to I-95 NB (more likely).

That doesn't help with the weave between that ramp and the offramp to the Hutch, though.

I threw this concept together a while back as a way to resolve the situation. Let's see if what they implement resembles this:

cl94

I was thinking more about the cloverleaf weave (which is also a PITA and the Hutch merge could be remedied by realigning the ramp), but that would be better (albeit more disruptive). Only issue is that they'd still have to widen the bridge to get rid of the stop sign. I thought up a couple concepts as well and I'll throw them up here when I get out of the office.

Mergingtraffic

Based on the description I can see the 4th NB lane on I-95 extend to the Hutch, as this area ties up almost all day. 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Duke87

Quote from: cl94 on December 15, 2016, 01:43:06 PM
Only issue is that they'd still have to widen the bridge to get rid of the stop sign.

Not necessarily. My quick sketch shows the onramps from Pelham Pkwy and Westchester Ave still merging separately, if you made them merge with each other before joining I-95, you wouldn't need to widen the bridge as the ramp from Westchester Ave already adds a lane. You could then, without the ramps in the NE quadrant, simply have that 4th lane continue all the way to the exit for the Hutch and drop there. This would create an auxiliary lane which is three times longer than either of the current weaves.

Meanwhile if you want something less disruptive to existing traffic patterns, you could build a traditional pair of parclo ramps in the SE quadrant (though with the existing braiding maintained) and remove the existing long ramp from 95 NB to Shore Rd (which, fun fact, is actually the former alignment of Shore Rd from before I-95 was built). My method creates a more circuitous routing for traffic to and from points west, but it reuses more existing pavement and would therefore presumably be cheaper.

MikeCL

So I was taking the FDR yesterday and went to cross the Triborough bridge holy crap that huge I love NY sign is full color and hugely distracting! It was I guess recycling as I was coming up to the bridge plus with the construction going on.. I think it's really too much given I was coming around that corner and trying to move to the right lane.

iPhone

MikeCL

On the FDR again on Sunday and I think it's exit 5 the backside of ConEd were the sign says stay in lane in the first lane..... they really need to put a warning saying about a bump. It's a huge dip I figured it would have been taken care of by now

iPhone

Mergingtraffic

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/19/cuomo-bruckner-sheridan-interchange/

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/843514801670242307/photo/1

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A long awaited, massive infrastructure project may soon be on the way to the South Bronx.

As WCBS 880's Kelly Waldron reports, the Sheridan Expressway sliced right through the community more than fifty years ago, cutting residents off from the riverfront.

If Governor Cuomo gets his way, the expressway will be transformed into a boulevard that is both pedestrian and cyclist friendly.

"Slow the traffic down, have pedestrian crossings so people can get across it and get to the Bronx River and enjoy the Bronx river,"  Cuomo said in the Sunday announcement.

The $1.8 billion plan also calls for the redesign of the Bruckner Expressway.

"And you have to build a whole new road and bridge system that goes from the Bruckner directly into Hunts Point,"  Cuomo said.

More than 78,00 vehicles travel to the Hunts Point Peninsula daily, including 13,000 trucks using local roads which has increased and contributed to poor air quality in the community, according to Cuomo's office.

The project will be completed in multiple phases, and the governor says he has allocated the $700 million needed for the first phase of the project in this year's state budget, which is expected to be voted on April 1.

It's going to be the southern version of NY-198.  Cuomo has done more to ruin freeflowing roads to satisfy the vocal minority.

TML

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on March 19, 2017, 07:16:56 PM
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/19/cuomo-bruckner-sheridan-interchange/

https://twitter.com/NYGovCuomo/status/843514801670242307/photo/1

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A long awaited, massive infrastructure project may soon be on the way to the South Bronx.

As WCBS 880's Kelly Waldron reports, the Sheridan Expressway sliced right through the community more than fifty years ago, cutting residents off from the riverfront.

If Governor Cuomo gets his way, the expressway will be transformed into a boulevard that is both pedestrian and cyclist friendly.

"Slow the traffic down, have pedestrian crossings so people can get across it and get to the Bronx River and enjoy the Bronx river,"  Cuomo said in the Sunday announcement.

The $1.8 billion plan also calls for the redesign of the Bruckner Expressway.

"And you have to build a whole new road and bridge system that goes from the Bruckner directly into Hunts Point,"  Cuomo said.

More than 78,00 vehicles travel to the Hunts Point Peninsula daily, including 13,000 trucks using local roads which has increased and contributed to poor air quality in the community, according to Cuomo's office.

The project will be completed in multiple phases, and the governor says he has allocated the $700 million needed for the first phase of the project in this year's state budget, which is expected to be voted on April 1.

It's going to be the southern version of NY-198.  Cuomo has done more to ruin freeflowing roads to satisfy the vocal minority.
I wonder where the general public stands on this issue...will there be protests against this?

Rothman

No.  It has been in the works for quite a while.

The story around here is that there is an old photo of people actually lying down on the Sheridan to show how little used it was...decades ago. :D

In my opinion, there has been a lot of work at the local level to prepare for it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cl94

Quote from: Rothman on March 20, 2017, 09:23:53 AM

The story around here is that there is an old photo of people actually lying down on the Sheridan to show how little used it was...decades ago. :D

In my opinion, there has been a lot of work at the local level to prepare for it.

I agree. Not only has this been in the works for ages, it is practically useless with the northern section connecting it to the New England Thruway being canceled. AADT is 35K - lower than many streets in the City and roughly half of the West Side Highway. PHVs max out at 1450, well under what is expected on a city expressway. I have used the Sheridan once - to clinch it. If it were complete, it would be very useful for through traffic. Not in its current state.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cl94 on March 20, 2017, 12:00:51 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 20, 2017, 09:23:53 AM

I agree. Not only has this been in the works for ages, it is practically useless with the northern section connecting it to the New England Thruway being canceled. AADT is 35K - lower than many streets in the City and roughly half of the West Side Highway. PHVs max out at 1450, well under what is expected on a city expressway. I have used the Sheridan once - to clinch it. If it were complete, it would be very useful for through traffic. Not in its current state.

Actually I have no use for it.  If there was a free flowing connection to and from the east then I would. 

Duke87

Quote from: TML on March 20, 2017, 01:29:06 AM
I wonder where the general public stands on this issue...will there be protests against this?

I have not heard any non-roadgeek speak strongly in favor of keeping the Sheridan as is. Usually people's reaction to the suggestion of getting rid of it is along the lines of "might as well, no one really uses it." Naturally, as a road very few people use with any regularity, it's a road very few people have any strong personal interest in keeping.

Meanwhile the people most negatively impacted by its downgrading won't be the drivers who'll have to slow down and maybe stop at a light or two, but rather the current working class residents of the neighborhood who will inevitably be forced out to make way for luxury condos.

compdude787

Wow, if only 35K vehicles used it each day, then that traffic could easily be handled by an arterial street.

roadman65

How is NYC going to address the change in the MUTCD for their stoplights?  Now with one signal head per lane and many avenues being five or six lanes wide with the current double guy arms not able to span a whole width of the street in many places.  I am guessing they are not going to comply at all.

I can see them replacing the 8-8-8 with 12-12-12 like on the West Side Highway they already did as the mast arms do support the weight (well at least the two way heads), so that probably won't be an issue.  But NYC going span wire like the rest of the state or installing montotubes at every intersection in all five boroughs, I do not see them doing that like they have not replaced the controllers for each signal.

Plus backplates in the city as well.  This should all prove interesting.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

RestrictOnTheHanger

I've seen a bunch of upgrades recently to 12-12-12 on main arterials, and some newer or updated installs have more than one signal on the arms.

Other than that, I dont see much in terms of progress toward MUTCD compliance with backplates, one signal per lane, etc

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on April 05, 2017, 12:19:33 PM
How is NYC going to address the change in the MUTCD for their stoplights?  Now with one signal head per lane and many avenues being five or six lanes wide with the current double guy arms not able to span a whole width of the street in many places.  I am guessing they are not going to comply at all.

I can see them replacing the 8-8-8 with 12-12-12 like on the West Side Highway they already did as the mast arms do support the weight (well at least the two way heads), so that probably won't be an issue.  But NYC going span wire like the rest of the state or installing montotubes at every intersection in all five boroughs, I do not see them doing that like they have not replaced the controllers for each signal.

Plus backplates in the city as well.  This should all prove interesting.

As far as the backplates go, as long as the speed limit (and/or 85th percentile speed) is below 45 mph, they're not required.

ixnay

The Washington/Baltimore/Arlington CSA has two Key Bridges, a Minnesota Avenue, and a Mannasota Avenue.

Alps

Quote from: ixnay on April 29, 2017, 09:11:19 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-kosciuszko-bridge-brings-frustrating-jams-commuters-article-1.3114066

ixnay
I'm inclined to agree it's just people checking out the new bridge. Even with the same lane balance as existing, the shallower grades should help traffic accelerate and merge, decreasing the truck slowness that contributes mightily to existing issues.

compdude787

So the new bridge is open now?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.