50 Worst Traffic Bottlenecks In America

Started by swbrotha100, November 23, 2015, 02:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbrotha100

The American Highway Users Alliance released a study today of the worst bottlenecks in America. They were measured by hours of delay. Link to the study is below:

http://www.highways.org/2015/11/unclogging-study2015/

The Nature Boy

Not at all surprised to see two sections of I-93 in the Boston metro area on that list.

Rothman

Wait, they didn't think it was I-290/I-90 in Williamsville, NY like Cambridge Systematics did some years ago?  :D :D :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

No surprise there: Los Angeles has six of the seven worst bottlenecks in America, none of which can top the Kennedy Expressway in Chicago. And I-5 through downtown Seattle ranked 17th on that list.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

roadman

Quote from: The Nature Boy on November 23, 2015, 03:07:04 PM
Not at all surprised to see two sections of I-93 in the Boston metro area on that list.
Except that one of those sections of I-93 was recently reconstructed as part of a $20 billion project.  Doesn't exactly speak well for the project as a whole, if you ask me.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Rothman

Quote from: roadman on November 24, 2015, 01:24:34 PM
Except that one of those sections of I-93 was recently reconstructed as part of a $20 billion project.  Doesn't exactly speak well for the project as a whole, if you ask me.

Pfft.  The point was to get that mess underground rather than continue to have eyesore of the Central Artery above ground.

Still, even if it's considered bad now, my experience with it is that it's better than the Central Artery was, traffic-wise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kkt

I see there's two stretches in Nevada on the list of other trouble spots.  I'm shocked, shocked, that neither of them is in Tonopah.

Thing 342

Somewhat surprised that none of the tunnels in the Hampton Roads areas made the list.

Bruce

The Seattle segment could be extended north across the Ship Canal Bridge on most days. I usually get off the bus at NE 45th and walk over to an Eastlake-bound bus to avoid that crawl.

roadfro

Quote from: kkt on November 24, 2015, 05:37:59 PM
I see there's two stretches in Nevada on the list of other trouble spots.  I'm shocked, shocked, that neither of them is in Tonopah.
They used weird cutoff points for those Nevada locations:

*I-15 from Oakey (not "Oakley") Blvd to exit 41. Oakey is an overpass and not an interchange. Exit 41 is Charleston Blvd. This stretch will be alleviated eventually with Project Neon.

*US 95 from Clarkway Drive to I-15. I had to look up where Clarkway was, and it's a very minor street just north of the freeway between Rancho Dr and the Martin Luther King Blvd interchanges. Not sure why that brief stretch is on there, but it does incorporate some of the transition to I-15.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

OCGuy81

I'm really surprised that the 91 freeway didn't make the list.  The "Corona Crawl" is awful most hours of the day.

mcarling

I'm surprised that I-5 through Portland and across the Colombia River didn't make the list.
US 97 should be 2x2 all the way from Yakima, WA to Klamath Falls, OR.

thefraze_1020

If there is only one entry for Seattle (or all of Washington state) on that list, then I think Washington state is doing all right.

As for Los Angeles, well...
Alright, this is how it's gonna be!

Bickendan

Quote from: mcarling on December 03, 2015, 05:49:30 PM
I'm surprised that I-5 through Portland and across the Colombia River didn't make the list.
Or I-84 between I-5 and I-205...
An aside, I-84's lack of westbound exits in the Metro area make for miserable drives when someone decides to be an idiot and cause a crash between NE 43rd and I-205.

silverback1065

Quote from: Rothman on November 24, 2015, 01:43:51 PM

Pfft.  The point was to get that mess underground rather than continue to have eyesore of the Central Artery above ground.

Still, even if it's considered bad now, my experience with it is that it's better than the Central Artery was, traffic-wise.

I agree, I thought that was the only purpose

jeffandnicole

I always felt 295 in South Jersey gets unfairly excluded from these lists.  Even the Philly area doesn't give it the respect it deserves, probably because it doesn't feed directly into Philly.  But when a backup stretches about 14 miles on a daily basis (Rt. 38 to Rt. 42), it's a significant point of congestion.

hm insulators

Surprise, surprise, Los Angeles got 11 of the Top 30. :sleep:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

noelbotevera

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

odditude

cpzilliacus

[Bumping this thread with a new story just out on the same topic]

Washington Post: The 100 worst traffic bottlenecks on U.S. highways

QuoteYou know it when you see it: that piece of highway where everything slows to a crawl for no apparent reason, where it's stop-and-go for miles but no crash in sight.

QuoteThere are many reasons that traffic just won't flow, and technology may provide some insight as to why. Using GPS, the trucking industry has identified the 100 worst bottlenecks in the U.S. highway system.

QuoteFor those prone to complain about turgid traffic in the mightily congested urban sprawl that extends from Washington north past Boston, there is news that no resident will believe.

QuoteTheir home turf is home to just one of the county's top 30 worst traffic choke points.

QuoteA bunch of the rest are in places that true traffic jam aficionados in the northeast sniff at in disdain: Baton Rouge; Tacoma, Wash.; Nashville; and Seattle.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Rothman on November 24, 2015, 01:43:51 PM

That's only because of the extension of I-90 via the Ted Williams Tunnel to Logan Airport was included in the Big Dig as well.  Such diverted a portion of coastal traffic (to/from points south & west) off I-93 though such has since created traffic havoc along MA 1A north of the airport.  The then-Third-Harbor Tunnel was originally planned (circa 1969) to include an expressway north of the airport that would've connected to (unbuilt) I-95 just north of Copeland/Cutler Circle.

Nonetheless, the public was somewhat (mis)led to believe that the underground I-93 mainline corridor was to be 8 to 10 lanes wide throughout not just in key areas.  Much of the mainline tunnel is still only 6-lanes wide.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 25, 2017, 09:20:53 AM
Nonetheless, the public was somewhat (mis)led to believe that the underground I-93 mainline corridor was to be 8 to 10 lanes wide throughout not just in key areas.  Much of the mainline tunnel is still only 6-lanes wide.

IMO the entire Big Dig should have had (or be retrofitted now) as a variable-priced toll road. 

I understand and accept that when the Big Dig was being planned, E-ZPass and video tolling was not really on the horizon. 

But now with Massachusetts going with cashless tolling on the MassPike, Tobin Bridge and others, it should be fairly easy to toll the Big Dig.

Yes, it's easy  for me to write that, as I live many hundreds of miles south of Boston, and am an infrequent user of the highways of Massachusetts.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Rothman

I would think that would be difficult given PA's problems getting I-80 tolled.  I would think MA would run into the same regulations if they wanted to toll I-93.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 25, 2017, 02:13:02 PMIMO the entire Big Dig should have had (or be retrofitted now) as a variable-priced toll road.
I mentioned similar before and I'll mention it here (modified in the wake of 2-way AETs being established on all harbor crossings):

Place two AET gantries along I-93: one north of the Zakim Bridge and the other south of the I-90 interchange; and charge the same fixed toll rate (sorry, I'm not completely sold on variable-priced tolling) as the harbor crossings and the Allston tolls.  That way everybody outside of immediate local traffic heading to/from Downtown Boston gets tolled in a fair manner.

Quote from: Rothman on January 25, 2017, 02:20:18 PMI would think that would be difficult given PA's problems getting I-80 tolled.  I would think MA would run into the same regulations if they wanted to toll I-93.
PA's biggest problem was that the planned tolls for I-80 were going to be diverted a-la-Act 44 in the same manner that the PA Turnpike tolls were.  Thankfully, the Feds (under 2 different Presidential administrations I might add) saw the proposal for the Robbing Peter to Pay Paul it was and shot it down... more than once.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Looking at the graphs for the areas I'm familiar with in the Philly area, while I believe the rush hour congestion speeds, the non-rush hour speeds seem kinda low.  Then I spotted this one: http://atri-online.org/research/results/congestion_mobility/2017bottleneck/078.pdf Apparently the travel speed is limited to the speed limit of the roadway.  Clearly these trucks are running faster than 55 in a 55 zone.

This one is even worse: http://atri-online.org/research/results/congestion_mobility/2017bottleneck/097.pdf  Speed limit of 55 mph, but yet the chart tries to show that speeds are averaging barely 50 mph...even in the middle of the night.  No way in hell is that the truth.

I'm wondering where they got their info from.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.