News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your planned 2016 Roadtrips

Started by US 41, December 19, 2015, 11:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravelingBethelite

This is not definite-but I am planning in July to RAGBRAI with my father, so we'd drive out there in late July.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

froggie

I just finished a 4-day roadtrip down to DC for a short transportation conference.  Nothing else currently planned outside of New England or Saratoga Springs, NY...

Pete from Boston

Thinking about driving to Toronto just for the hell of it, but airfares are so damn cheap I may just end up flying and renting a car or bike out there.

freebrickproductions

I know I'm going to be taking a trip down to Guin, AL next week, and over the summer I'll be going down to Port St. Joe, FL and Auburn/Opelika, AL.
I also have plans to go to Birmingham, AL; Chattanooga, TN; Gadsden, AL; Fort Payne, AL; and Atlanta, GA this year.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on December 24, 2015, 05:51:20 PM
Time's passing by and I absolutely want to get to Alaska. So, I'll be checking cruises, preferably on the edges of the travel season. If I get there, I'd like to do a one-way cruise where I rent a car and do some tripping around Alaska. Then, fly back to the point of departure (Seattle or Vancouver). It's entirely possible we could drive to the starting point.

If you're interested in driving, look into Holland America's Glacier Discovery cruise. It's a one-way seven-day itinerary from Seward to Vancouver or vice versa. They also operate the "Cruisetrain," a glass-topped train that runs from the airport in Anchorage to the port in Seward. So you could fly into Anchorage, rent a car and drive around Alaska, then drop the car back at the airport and take the train to the ship. Then fly home from Vancouver. We did something similar for our Alaska cruise in 2005 except we didn't have the time to drive around. Ms1995hoo had won two Delta tickets as a prize at her office Christmas party, so we got an open jaw where we flew out from Reagan to Atlanta to Anchorage on a Saturday, took the Cruisetrain on Sunday and boarded the ship that afternoon, arrived in Vancouver the following Sunday morning, and then spent three days there before flying home on Wednesday going Vancouver to Salt Lake City to Reagan. Worked great. We'd have loved to have explored the Interior before the cruise, but when you're working with free airfare....!

Regarding our roadtrips this year, we don't know yet, mainly because replacing the roof of our house is on the to-do list and I haven't figured out how that will affect the budget. We've considered either a golf trip to PEI and New Brunswick or else a two-week drive to Florida in late June. Maybe I can figure out some way to detour to Alabama to play some of the RTJ Golf Trail courses.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

leroys73

1995hoo
[/quote]

If you're interested in driving, look into Holland America's Glacier Discovery cruise. It's a one-way seven-day itinerary from Seward to Vancouver or vice versa. They also operate the "Cruisetrain," a glass-topped train that runs from the airport in Anchorage to the port in Seward. So you could fly into Anchorage, rent a car and drive around Alaska, then drop the car back at the airport and take the train to the ship. Then fly home from Vancouver. We did something similar for our Alaska cruise in 2005 except we didn't have the time to drive around. Ms1995hoo had won two Delta tickets as a prize at her office Christmas party, so we got an open jaw where we flew out from Reagan to Atlanta to Anchorage on a Saturday, took the Cruisetrain on Sunday and boarded the ship that afternoon, arrived in Vancouver the following Sunday morning, and then spent three days there before flying home on Wednesday going Vancouver to Salt Lake City to Reagan. Worked great. We'd have loved to have explored the Interior before the cruise, but when you're working with free airfare....!

Thanks for the great info. 

The wife and I were planning for a trip to AK to visit her nephew this summer and drive around AK.  Then she was flying back home and work  :-D while I would take a motorcycle trip up the Dalton to Prudhoe Bay. But he nephew will not be in Alaska so we were looking at some options.  This sounds like a good choice.  Thanks.

'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

noelbotevera

Planning to go to Ocean City or Kings Dominion....what do you guys recommend? Also it's sometime in late Junne, so either way the traffic is hell in every possible dimension.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Jbte

Mi road trips for this year:

-This summer, I plan going back to Durango-Tepic road, totally loved it, I promise bring more pictures than last time
Here's last year trip:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14964.0

-Sierra de las cumbres road trip (Las Cumbres National Park), between Real de Catorce and Monterrey, in canyon road like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/mZn7dwPuwWz

-Hopefully going to the Northwest this summer, probably Oregon, Washington state and British Columbia, only if I get enough cash :P

TheHighwayMan3561

I thought I already threw my two cents in here but I guess not yet  :pan:

I'm hoping for two trips, one back to the Mountain West and the other back to New England (specifically Maine) where I have not visited since 2007.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: noelbotevera on January 22, 2016, 10:07:44 PM
Planning to go to Ocean City or Kings Dominion....what do you guys recommend? Also it's sometime in late Junne, so either way the traffic is hell in every possible dimension.

Hypothetically, is there not a dimension with ok traffic?  :sombrero:

noelbotevera

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on January 26, 2016, 10:57:27 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on January 22, 2016, 10:07:44 PM

Hypothetically, is there not a dimension with ok traffic?  :sombrero:
That's our dimension, but trash overtakes those ok drivers and traffic.

Side note here: I talked with my dad, I picked Kings Dominion  :biggrin:
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

US 41

Quote from: Jbte on January 26, 2016, 02:08:37 AM
Mi road trips for this year:

-This summer, I plan going back to Durango-Tepic road, totally loved it, I promise bring more pictures than last time
Here's last year trip:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=14964.0

-Sierra de las cumbres road trip (Las Cumbres National Park), between Real de Catorce and Monterrey, in canyon road like this:
https://goo.gl/maps/mZn7dwPuwWz

-Hopefully going to the Northwest this summer, probably Oregon, Washington state and British Columbia, only if I get enough cash :P

I typed in Zacatecas to Seattle on Google Maps and it says that you'd probably enter in El Paso or Santa Teresa, NM. You could however save between $80-$90 if you used the Ojinaga/Presidio POE. (These prices are in USD)

Torreon - Las Cruces using cuotas
Time / Distance= 9 hrs 31 min, 577 miles
Gas= $53 (30 mpg @ 2.75 per gal)
Tolls= $52 (948 MXN)
Total= $105

Torreon - Las Cruces via Ojinaga/Presidio using libres
Time / Distance= 11 hrs 39 min, 646 miles (+2 hrs 8 min, +69 miles)
Gas= $60 (+$7)
Tolls (Puente Ojinaga)= $2 (24 MXN) (-$50)
Total= $62 (-$43)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To add to this I have driven on I-10, US 90, and US 67 from Las Cruces to Presidio, TX. I-10 southeast of El Paso has a speed limit of 80 (130 km/h), US 90 has a speed limit of 75 (120 km/h), and US 67 has a speed limit of 70 (110 km/h). It appears that most of CHIH 67 and MX 49 Libre has a speed limit of 50 mph (80 km/h). If you went this way twice you would save $86 based on my calculations. Also gas prices in most of the US are less than $2 per gallon right now so the sooner you get into the US and the longer you stay in the US, the cheaper the gas will be. The prices should stay down since it is an election year.

In less than a month I will be down in Ojinaga. I plan on driving to Coyame (to see the caves and soak in hot springs) and down to Camargo (just to drive). I'll let you know how it goes (border crossing / road conditions). Just west of Ojinaga, about 20 miles there is also the Peguis Canyon which you might want to check out if you go to this area. It is right off of MX 16 and is free to visit. (The overlook is actually located at a rest area on MX 16.) Ojinaga is also supposedly a safer border town to visit since it is so remote. I can almost guarantee it is safer than Juarez. Often times on http://bwt.cbp.gov/?com=0&pas=1&ped=0&plist=2403 the Presidio POE has no delay. The longest delay I've ever for this crosssing was a 20 minute delay. FYI this crossing is open 24/7 and there are also offices in Ojinaga that sell American Auto Insurance. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Takumi

I plan on going to the Outer Banks at least once, Charlottesville at least once, and perhaps Roanoke and/or Baltimore for potential drum & bass shows. Otherwise my trips are mostly around the Richmond-Hampton Roads area exploring back roads.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

coatimundi

On the larger scale, we'll be driving from Tucson to Monterey in April to bring back some furniture. Taking advantage of the annual rental car migration sale that comes up after Spring Training. Last year, Hertz had it for $1 per day if you picked it up at PHX and I used it for two road trips. Hoping it will be just as attractive this year.
I'm also planning a revisit of some of my favorite river cities in the Midwest, probably in May: Louisville, Cincinnati and probably St. Louis. It just depends on the prices of flights, and Frontier just added an SFO to Cincinnati non-stop. My wife has a conference in Tampa in May though, and they typically run a one-way rental car deal at about that time from Florida, so I may try to combine the trips to minimize cross-country air travel.
I may also take the easy flight to Vegas to rent a car and visit some national parks over there since I have a valid pass right now. That would probably be next month, but it depends on Allegiant's pricing. I've only been to Zion in the summer and early fall.
And there will be another trip down to Southern California at some point to see some US 6 sections.
I'm not totally sure what to check out on these trips, road-wise. I know they have a newer bypass of St. George, Utah I'd like to check out, and maybe some Interstate 11 work closer to Vegas. On the Tucson trip, we usually roll through Bakersfield, so I'll check out the work on the Westside Parkway/CA 99 connection, if it's even started by then, but I've already "clinched" the Westside Parkway to the end of its latest extension back onto Stockdale Highway.

On the smaller scale, I plan to get out to some of the isolated sections of the old El Camino Real. One near King City runs through NFS land and into Fort Hunter-Liggett but, last report I read, it was open. All of the fort is open, but they have a history of randomly closing roads on their land. Another is a section north of Salinas that may or may not be closed. I read something about the county dropping it and closing it off. I would also like to get over the partially paved La Gloria Road, which traverses the Gabilan Range just north of Pinnacles NP. It looks beautiful on StreetView, and we've had good rain this winter, so the hills are making it look like true paradise right now, especially in the afternoon light.

Alps

Quote from: coatimundi on January 27, 2016, 04:07:47 PM
On the larger scale, we'll be driving from Tucson to Monterey in April to bring back some furniture. Taking advantage of the annual rental car migration sale that comes up after Spring Training. Last year, Hertz had it for $1 per day if you picked it up at PHX and I used it for two road trips. Hoping it will be just as attractive this year.

How does one find out about this and get in on it? How would I find out which origin/destination pairs are discounted? I have a spring trip to PHX...

coatimundi

Quote from: Alps on January 27, 2016, 06:33:59 PM
How does one find out about this and get in on it? How would I find out which origin/destination pairs are discounted? I have a spring trip to PHX...
They do it every year but don't publish it until about late February, I think to not get the people who are actually going for Spring Training excited (because the prices are crazy during that period). You typically have to return to either Reno or California, but Hertz opened it up to Colorado and Texas last year. It won't start until early April, when the games are over.
Budget/Avis and Hertz always do it. You'll sometimes see it for National, Thrifty/Alamo and Dollar. I've never seen it for Enterprise.
To find it, you just have to keep looking at the offers section of their web sites. The city pairs and dates change every year but are posted in the terms.

====edit====
I knew I was going to type something out and then something would happen to prove me wrong: Avis has put up their one-way out of Florida for this year. 4-1 to 6-30, starting at $10 per day, dropping off in the Northeast, Central & Piedmont regions, 14 days maximum. Details.

AsphaltPlanet

By the way this deal is legit.

I was just able to book a rental car from Phoenix to Portland Oregan for $ 189 CDN, including tax,  for 11 days, unlimited mileage with enterprise.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

NWI_Irish96

Road trip to Myrtle Beach, SC, next week.  First road trip with the kids exceeding the 6 hour mark.  Starting out at 4am in hopes that they sleep for the first third to half of the trip.  Going to take two different routes down and back--partly because of the I-75 rockslide but partly because I want to clinch as many new interstate miles as possible.  Trip down will get 40 from Knoxville to Asheville, 26 from Asheville to Columbia and 20 from Columbia to Florence.  Return trip picks up 74 in North Carolina, and 77 from 74 to Beckley, WV. 

Biggest chunks of new interstate coverage for me in a long time.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

D-Dey65

An update in my previous message, I want to try to take my NYC and Long Island trip in May. Honestly, I don't care what it costs. It's something I feel I have to do before OPEC jacks up the price of gas around Memorial Day.

JJBers

I may be going to upstate New York some time this summer
Just more of a seeing I-90 and I-87
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

TravelingBethelite

My RAGBRAI trip will not be happening ( :-( ), but I will be going on this one, which I mentioned in a different thread (of its own): I will be going around the eastern & middle thirds of the US, by way of Binghamton, Cleveland, Toledo, Dayton, Indy, Peoria, Des Moines, Omaha, KC, Salina, Wichita, OK City, Fort Worth, Waco, Austin, Houston, Mobile, Jacksonville, Savannah, Richmond, DC, Baltimore, York, Allentown, and Peekskill, NY.

I just hope OPEC doesn't raise gas prices too high. We might need to cut back on it if we are, as my mom (Happy Mothers' Day!) and I are running this on a relatively shoe-string budget (~$1,215) Whew. I need a beer after that.  ;-)  :cheers:

CobaltYoshi27

I am doing college tours, so I am driving from Long Island to Nashville, TN to visit Vanderbilt University (via I-68 and I-64), then to DC for George Washington University (via I-81 and I-66), then to Baltimore for Johns Hopkins University (via I-95, joy), to Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA (via I-83 and I-78), and finally back home. This will happen the week of July 11, but I am leaving Saturday.
I's traveled:
10(TX) 20(TX) 24(TN) 30(TX) 35(TX) 40(TN) 45(TX) 64(KY-VA) 65(TN-KY) 66(VA-DC) 68(WV-MD) 69(TX) 70(IN-MD) 71(OH) 75(TN-MI) 76(OH-NJ) 77(VA-OH) 78(PA-NJ) 79(WV-PA) 80(OH-NJ) 81(TN-NY) 83(MD-PA) 84(NY-MA) 86(PA-NY) 87(NY) 88(NY) 89(NH-VT) 90(OH-MA) 91(CT-VT) 93(MA-NH) 95(NC-MA) 99(PA)

mariethefoxy

going to Pittsburgh with a side trip to Ohio so I can add it to the list of states I have been to.

Somehow I want to get to Vermont as well, its the only state the Northeast I haven't been to. Its usually one of those places I set out to go to and then when it comes down to getting there I get too tired/lazy.

texaskdog

We're leaving Austin to go to Zion, Bryce, and Grand Canyon (North Rim) National Parks for a week in July.

AsphaltPlanet

All of those parks are amazing.  I've never been to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, but it looks pretty spectacular.  I seem to recall there being some travel restrictions during peak times at Zion.  I think for some of the areas within the park, you have to park at specific parking lots and be shuttled around using park buses.  I may be wrong though, it's been a few years since I went, and I wend during off-peak.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.