News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2016 Capital District Meet - September 24

Started by vdeane, December 21, 2015, 05:24:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

This roadmeet focuses on the Albany area in upstate New York. The tour will include the Twin Bridges, a former railroad bridge over the Mohawk River, the NY 2 tunnel in Troy, the Mid-Crosstown Expressway, the Dunn Memorial Bridge (meet photo location), the former Thruway rest areas on the Berkshire Spur, I-787 (downtown) and the South Mall Arterial, the Northway stub, the Washington Avenue Extension/Fuller Road interchange, and Railroad Avenue. There is also a pre-meet at 9:30 AM at the Albany Rail Trail off NY 32 to view the Thruway and US 9W bridges over the Normans Kill; we would also drive on NY 85 on the way to the meet restaraunt.

Tour notes: http://www.nysroads.com/files/cap16.pdf

Meet Date/Time/Location: September 24, 2016, 11:00 AM, Latham '76 Diner 722 New Loudon Rd, Latham, NY 12110
Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/206670216371779/
Premeet: 9:30 AM, Albany County Rail Trail, NY 32
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

November and December are two months that are open...you can also do January 2017 if it comes it.

dgolub

New Haven is still TBD whether it still be summer or fall.  Schedule the Albany meet whenever it works for you, and I'll make sure we don't conflict when I schedule the New Haven meet.

vdeane

I'm leaning towards staying with Columbus Day, which would be October 8-9.  The long weekend works well for a two day meet.  I'll edit the OP with the dates at some point before the end of the year if nobody objects.

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 21, 2015, 05:43:40 PM
November and December are two months that are open...you can also do January 2017 if it comes it.
Snow and roadmeets don't mix well, especially when the weather becomes less predictable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

A meet in upstate NY and a meet in Bamalama shouldn't offer too many conflicts among potential attendees. Meets with a significant distance between them have occurred on the same date before -- an example being Lawrence, Kan. and the most recent Columbus, Oh. meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

noelbotevera

Quote from: vdeane on December 22, 2015, 12:46:11 PM
Snow and roadmeets don't mix well, especially when the weather becomes less predictable.
2010 Detroit roadmeet? From pictures it was snowing, and there was snow present.

froggie

Quotebut that would appear to be off the table due to the Birmingham meet.

HB hit on this before I did (and I also mentioned this on Facebook), but the likelihood of direct conflicts between Albany, NY and Birmingham, AL on the same day is pretty darn small.  There are only a small number of people who would have the means and the time to attend both meets.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2015, 03:52:45 PM
A meet in upstate NY and a meet in Bamalama shouldn't offer too many conflicts among potential attendees. Meets with a significant distance between them have occurred on the same date before -- an example being Lawrence, Kan. and the most recent Columbus, Oh. meet.
Columbus both started before Lawrence (time zone difference) and ended after. We hit around 27 different sights and just kept deciding to press on until nightfall. Unforgettable.

cl94

Being as I'll be living there, I'd be interested, especially if it's on a holiday weekend where I wouldn't be leaving town.

Has a meet done the Bennington Bypass extension or the covered bridges in Shushan and along VT 313? That's not too much of a hike.

Except for Glenridge Road and the new Round Lake roundabouts, there's little "new" stuff that hasn't been mentioned.

Quote from: froggie on December 22, 2015, 06:55:52 PM

HB hit on this before I did (and I also mentioned this on Facebook), but the likelihood of direct conflicts between Albany, NY and Birmingham, AL on the same day is pretty darn small.  There are only a small number of people who would have the means and the time to attend both meets.

My thoughts exactly.

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 22, 2015, 05:49:46 PM
2010 Detroit roadmeet? From pictures it was snowing, and there was snow present.

You don't want to be doing a lot of driving in the area if it's snowing. Detroit is flat. Albany is anything but and it can get quite cold.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

I've decided to stick with Columbus Day weekend.

Quote from: cl94 on December 22, 2015, 10:16:46 PM
Being as I'll be living there, I'd be interested, especially if it's on a holiday weekend where I wouldn't be leaving town.

Has a meet done the Bennington Bypass extension or the covered bridges in Shushan and along VT 313? That's not too much of a hike.

Except for Glenridge Road and the new Round Lake roundabouts, there's little "new" stuff that hasn't been mentioned.

Quote from: froggie on December 22, 2015, 06:55:52 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 22, 2015, 05:49:46 PM

You don't want to be doing a lot of driving in the area if it's snowing. Detroit is flat. Albany is anything but and it can get quite cold.
I plan on hitting the major three construction projects that are going on now/soon: I-890 exit 4, Washington Ave Extension, and NY 85 (a natural consequence of including the Slingerlands Bypass).  Meet photo at the Dunn (given the circle interchange, can't really have it anywhere else).

And of course, if it's snowing in Albany, it's guaranteed to be snowing worse on the roads to/from Albany.  It's a consequence of being in a valley.

froggie

To answer cl94's question, yes the Bennington Bypass was the focus of a meet hosted by Doug Kerr.

As for VT 313, there is only one covered bridge along that route, IIRC.

cl94

Quote from: froggie on December 22, 2015, 11:02:34 PM
To answer cl94's question, yes the Bennington Bypass was the focus of a meet hosted by Doug Kerr.

As for VT 313, there is only one covered bridge along that route, IIRC.

Correct. I was referring to the bridge just off NY 313 in Shushan.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Buffaboy

I'll consider this. I can't make promises though.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

Given the draw of the Birmingham meet, I'm looking at moving this one a couple weeks and switching to a 1 day tour.  September 24 is the likely date but September 17 works for me as well.

froggie

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jpi

9/24 would work great for me since I plan to be in central PA around that time
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

74/171FAN

I could maybe come to this if it was one day.  By that time, I will probably want to avoid hotels for awhile.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

vdeane

I've pretty much decided on one day at this point.  I'll update the OP.  Leaning towards September 24, but I'll let the comments come in a little while longer.

vdeane

I settled on September 24 and added a link to the Facebook event in the OP.

jpi

Sweet, I am a "maybe" but will more then likely change to going getting closer to the time since I will be in central PA that weekend, also my wife may come too if she can get time off from work.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Rothman

By the way, what's special about Railroad Ave?  I just took a tour of the Coca-Cola facility there, but at least between Target and Fuller, there's not much going on there, is there?

cl94

I'm not on the Facebook event, but I'm an almost certain "will attend".

Quote from: Rothman on March 21, 2016, 08:25:03 AM
By the way, what's special about Railroad Ave?  I just took a tour of the Coca-Cola facility there, but at least between Target and Fuller, there's not much going on there, is there?

Other than the rail line that once ran down the middle, nothing I can think of.

If the speed bumps were still in front of Joe Bruno's house, I'd suggest driving through there to show how politics can influence roads, but the Town of Brunswick finally took them out.

vdeane

It's the rail line.  Not major, but we're going to be in the area anyways, so might as well.  It's at the end of the tour anyways, so if something runs long it can easily be cut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.