News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Road Related Rivalry Trophies

Started by Buck87, January 19, 2016, 08:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Many sports rivalries (especially at the college level) involve some sort trophy that gets passed back and forth by the rival teams.

My hometown is involved in one of these traditions at the high school level, and the trophy in question happens to be road related. Every year since 1997 (100th anniversary of the first meeting) the winner of the Bellevue vs. Clyde football game has taken home the "Route 20 Football", named for the road that connects the neighboring towns. The game is also frequently touted at the "Battle of Route 20" in newspaper stories and t-shirts. Now as you can see, whoever designed the ball wasn't exactly a road geek...

Now my question is, does anyone else know of any similar road related trophy traditions?  (with an actual trophy, not just a nickname)

A lot of times when I see a sports matchup between teams from towns/cities that are connected by the same route I'll jokingly say "ah yes, the battle for the (insert route number) (insert sports object)".....so it would be interesting to see what other places actually have similar traditions

bing101

The Bay Bridge Series the 1989 World Series between San Francisco and Oakland.

spooky

Quote from: bing101 on January 19, 2016, 11:25:30 PM
The Bay Bridge Series the 1989 World Series between San Francisco and Oakland.

Quote from: jbnv on January 29, 2016, 10:40:48 AM
The rivalry between LSU and UL Lafayette is often called an I-10 rivalry.

I think you both missed the point of the thread.

Quote from: Buck87 on January 19, 2016, 08:50:08 PM
(with an actual trophy, not just a nickname)

jbnv

🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

TheHighwayMan3561

New Mexico/New Mexico State and its associated football trophy used to be called the Battle of I-25, but it was renamed at some point to the Rio Grande Rivalry.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Buck87

Quote from: DandyDan on January 31, 2016, 03:01:32 AM
Bowling Green and Toledo, since 2011, play for the Battle of I-75 Trophy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green%E2%80%93Toledo_football_rivalry

Ah nice, there's one that was right under my nose

Here's what the trophy looks like:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.