News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Dislodged manhole cover in O'Neill Tunnel strikes car, kills driver

Started by roadman, February 12, 2016, 01:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

What kind of force at what angle could send a manhole cover airborne?

The Ghostbuster

I've never heard of a manhole cover in a tunnel before. Are they used for maintenance purposes?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 12, 2016, 03:24:41 PM
I've never heard of a manhole cover in a tunnel before. Are they used for maintenance purposes?

In most tunnels, there needs to be some sort of access to the sump at the lowest point in the tunnel. In some tunnels, that is apparently with a manhole. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

SidS1045

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 12, 2016, 03:24:41 PM

As the linked article stated, "The manhole that caused the crash covered a storm drainage system and was last inspected June 12, 2014."
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

Here's a link to the official MassDOT press release about the incident:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-highway-administrator-tinlin-statement-on-vehicle-struck-by-manhole-cover/

I had to travel through Boston on I-93 today for a lunch meeting on the North Shore. Because of the on-going investigation in the southbound lanes, traffic was still backed up into Medford on I-93 South at 11:30 this morning. Coming back (via the Tobin Bridge) the VMS displays in the Big Dig Tunnel and and further south warned of work crews in the roadways, but I didn't see any. I did drive by the location of the manhole and saw all the lines spray painted on the pavement by the accident investigators. Since I frequently drive I-93 it's sobering to think if this had happened at another time, I could have been that driver (a teacher at a public school in Milton).

briantroutman

The only scenario that I can imagine is that the manhole cover wasn't replaced correctly and was wedged unevenly on another object, then a passing vehicle put enough pressure on the right point and flipped it up, tiddlywink-style.

mass_citizen

MassDOT has published a new policy requiring bolt down manhole covers on all projects. This is in addition to the bolt down catch basin policy implemented some years ago.

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/EngineeringDirectives/2016/E-16-003.pdf

roadman

Quote from: mass_citizen on May 19, 2016, 10:55:16 PM
MassDOT has published a new policy requiring bolt down manhole covers on all projects. This is in addition to the bolt down catch basin policy implemented some years ago.

https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/EngineeringDirectives/2016/E-16-003.pdf

A clarification - the new requirement to bolt down manhole covers only applies to roadways with speed limits of 45 mph or greater, and not "all projects".
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

formulanone

Quote from: briantroutman on February 12, 2016, 06:47:16 PM
The only scenario that I can imagine is that the manhole cover wasn’t replaced correctly and was wedged unevenly on another object, then a passing vehicle put enough pressure on the right point and flipped it up, tiddlywink-style.

Sounds a lot like this race, but those particular cars also produced an enormous amount of underbody pressure (downforce) against the road surface.

Skip to 13:00...thankfully, he was only slightly injured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-21jsFAc0I

mass_citizen

Quote from: roadman on May 20, 2016, 09:24:12 AM
Quote from: mass_citizen on May 19, 2016, 10:55:16 PM

A clarification - the new requirement to bolt down manhole covers only applies to roadways with speed limits of 45 mph or greater, and not "all projects".

My apologies...my use of the term "all projects" was referring to the fact that the directive applies to all active construction projects in addition to those in design. You are correct with regard to the speed restriction.

It is interesting to note however that MassDOT's policy with regards to bolt down/hook lock catch basins has not changed and applies to all roadways and projects regardless of speed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.