News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2016 March Madness (and conference tournaments)

Started by US 41, March 04, 2016, 01:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win it all this year?

Kansas
4 (20%)
Oklahoma
1 (5%)
Virginia
1 (5%)
North Carolina
2 (10%)
Michigan State
6 (30%)
Villanova
0 (0%)
Kentucky
0 (0%)
Indiana
0 (0%)
Arkanas - Little Rock
1 (5%)
Wichita State
0 (0%)
Xavier
1 (5%)
Duke
0 (0%)
South Carolina
0 (0%)
Maryland
1 (5%)
Other (please specify in comments below)
3 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 20

ET21

Butler and Purdon't are gone. Nice to see Yale advance
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

US 41

Quote from: ET21 on March 17, 2016, 10:28:25 PM

Butler's still in, they beat TX Tech.

I was UALR's biggest fan today. Purdon't totally choked the game away. Letting UALR go on a big run was so funny. Then Purdue blames the refs. Haha go home Boilermakers!

Hopefully Wichita St can hold on to their 12 point half time lead. Wichita hasn't exactly played great. Also LOL at Arizona's head coach. He is literally sweating it out over there. I've never seen anyone sweat that much before. You can almost see through his shirt.

UNC having only a 1 point lead over #16 FL Gulf Coast makes me glad I picked them to lose in the Sweet 16. 
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

brownpelican

I'm a little ticked at how they did Wichita State. First, you make them an 11-seed, then make them play a play-in game. Really?

74/171FAN

Quote from: US 41 on March 17, 2016, 10:40:19 PM
Hopefully Wichita St can hold on to their 12 point half time lead. Wichita hasn't exactly played great. Also LOL at Arizona's head coach. He is literally sweating it out over there. I've never seen anyone sweat that much before. You can almost see through his shirt.

UNC having only a 1 point lead over #16 FL Gulf Coast makes me glad I picked them to lose in the Sweet 16. 

I am not shocked by the Wichita State upset at all as they have become super dangerous the last few years (I picked them and Gonzaga to win with little thought).

I have UNC losing to Kentucky in the Sweet 16.  To me they are too inconsistent to win it all.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

HazMatt

Quote from: brownpelican on March 17, 2016, 11:24:37 PM
I'm a little ticked at how they did Wichita State. First, you make them an 11-seed, then make them play a play-in game. Really?

And they get the 12PM game Saturday after 9PM Thursday and a play-in.  Fix is in, boys.

Big John

And the brackets bust with Michigan State losing.

CNGL-Leudimin

What, nobody gave a cent for Middle Tennessee in their brackets? I see, with such a high seed, nobody cared, and now they crashed the brackets by surprise...

Oh, and North Carolina ended beating Florida Gulf Coast by 16 points. BTW, had Stetson beaten Florida Gulf Coast in the Atlantic Sun tournament final, due to a penalty North Florida would have entered March Madness instead.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ET21

Quote from: US 41 on March 17, 2016, 10:40:19 PM

Butler's still in, they beat TX Tech.

I was UALR's biggest fan today. Purdon't totally choked the game away. Letting UALR go on a big run was so funny. Then Purdue blames the refs. Haha go home Boilermakers!

Wow my bad lol. I think I meant Baylor but typed Butler and didn't give a second thought  :-(

Clinched:

US 41

Then late last night Northern Iowa hit a half court shot at the buzzer to beat Texas by 3. Yesterday literally defined March Madness.

-----------------------
In the Older than Noel pool below are the current standings (the best bracket of each person after the first round).

Pianocello is currently in the lead with 25 correct picks, Scott is in second with 24, I'm in third with 22, Brian, Jim, and Kenny are all tied for fourth with 21, Buck87 has 20, and Alps has 19.

1995hoo

I almost wanted Yale to beat Duke....almost.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

If Charles Barkley had E-ZPass, this wouldn't happen  :-D

jp the roadgeek

My bracket- Dead
My team- Dead

Now, someone please just knock off Duke.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kurumi

UConn women were up 41-4 at the end of the first quarter in Round 1, and led 93-28 before taking the foot off the gas and coasting to a rather sedate 101-49 finish.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

US 41

Quote from: kurumi on March 20, 2016, 01:59:52 AM
UConn women were up 41-4 at the end of the first quarter in Round 1, and led 93-28 before taking the foot off the gas and coasting to a rather sedate 101-49 finish.

Doesn't women's basketball always come down between UCONN and Notre Dame? I think 13, 14, and 15 seeds (Harvard won as a 16 miraculously) have never won in the women's tournament. Men's basketball had all three happen on the 18th. :awesomeface:

Hopefully today the tournament is a little more "mad". The only true upset yesterday was #11 Gonzaga beating #3 Utah. Hopefully a few more of the remaining mid majors will advance today (SFA, Middle TN, VCU, Hawaii, N Iowa, St Josephs). I think Middle Tennessee, Stephen F Austin, and Hawaii have the best chances to move on. Mid Major Previews below.

I'm not too confident that St Josephs or VCU can knock off Oregon and Oklahoma, especially after the way Dayton (the A-10 regular season champs) played against Syracuse.

Northern Iowa is kind of iffy. It depends which UNI team shows up; the one that beat IA State and UNC or the one that lost to Missouri State. The SEC wasn't exactly great this year and it would be kind of cool if the MVC could knock 2/3 of the SEC out of the tournament.

I feel like SFA should be able to beat Notre Dame. They handled West Virginia perfectly fine and I don't think Notre Dame is as good as West Virginia.

Middle Tennessee is also kind of iffy. Last year UAB (also from CUSA) beat Iowa State, but then lost to a UCLA team that probably didn't actually belong in the tournament. On the other hand Middle Tennessee beat Michigan State and is going to be facing a Syracuse team that also probably should have been in the NIT, not the NCAA. Syracuse's zone and size may also create some issues. If Middle Tennessee can shoot the way they did against Michigan State I think they'll win. I don't know if they shoot that good all the time though.

I think Hawaii should and will advance to the Sweet 16 today. They are a very good team that almost beat Oklahoma. Maryland hasn't played as good late this year as they did earlier in the season. Heck South Dakota State gave them a run for their money and I was not very impressed with SDSU when I watched 2 of their games in the Summit League tournament. Remember #13 Ohio that lost to #1 UNC in OT? This Hawaii team should give Kansas a scare (if they win today). 

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: US 41 on March 20, 2016, 11:07:40 AM
Doesn't women's basketball always come down between UCONN and Notre Dame? I think 13, 14, and 15 seeds (Harvard won as a 16 miraculously) have never won in the women's tournament. Men's basketball had all three happen on the 18th. :awesomeface:

#13 seeds have actually reached as far as the Sweet Sixteen in the women's tournament. That Harvard win over Stanford back in 1998 is the only instance of a #16 beating a #1 in both genders, as it has never happened in men's tournament (the closest instance was when Murray State managed to force an overtime against Michigan State back in 1990).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

US 41

First it was SFA, now it's UNI. I'm so tired of the cheating by refs in D1 basketball.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: US 41 on March 20, 2016, 10:46:59 PM
First it was SFA, now it's UNI. I'm so tired of the cheating by refs in D1 basketball.

Refs didn't screw UNI. Everything that happened to UNI was their own fault.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Thing 342

Haven't had time to really pay attention to the tournament (thanks, professors who decide to load up on the exams the week back from spring break), but I had Michigan St going all the way, which should tell you something about how my bracket is going.

US 41

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 20, 2016, 11:17:01 PM

Refs didn't screw UNI. Everything that happened to UNI was their own fault.

Yes, but there was no foul on the "and one" and Washpun was getting fouled in the corner with a ref standing right there. Then you had all the stupid reviews allowing TX A&M to draw up plays with free timeouts. TX A&M got a free timeout once in exchange for taking 0.2 off the clock. Really?

What I don't understand is how can you not inbound a freaking ball? They choked, but the refs did them no favors in the end either.

ET21

Quote from: Thing 342 on March 20, 2016, 11:43:21 PM
Haven't had time to really pay attention to the tournament (thanks, professors who decide to load up on the exams the week back from spring break), but I had Michigan St going all the way, which should tell you something about how my bracket is going.

MSU is out

Clinched:

NWI_Irish96

SFA got more than their share of breaks in their second game.  Not sure why you think they were cheated.  Pretty clear block got called a charge on Pflueger which by itself created a 4 point swing.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: ET21 on March 21, 2016, 10:03:25 AM
Quote from: Thing 342 on March 20, 2016, 11:43:21 PM

MSU is out

I believe that was his point.

US 41

In the NIT Tournament it is all mid majors in the Final 4. Valparaiso will play BYU, and George Washington will play San Diego State. I'm honestly looking forward to the NIT Final 4 more than I am the rest of the NCAA Tournament. Gonzaga is really the only team left that I sort of care about in the NCAA Tournament now; although I will be cheering for TX A&M when they play Oklahoma even though they beat Northern Iowa. You have to give credit where credit is due. Most teams that are down by 12 with 44 seconds to go would have just gave up. I still think there were some very questionable calls (and no calls) in those last seconds that all favored TX A&M, but you still have to love the effort by the Aggie players. Unless they end up playing Gonzaga in the championship game I'll be cheering for Texas A&M the rest of the way.

CNGL-Leudimin

Wow, Villanova has made it to Elite Eight. US 41 said they wouldn't get past Sweet Sixteen. I wanted Miami to win the tournament, due to the town I had replacing it in my bracket. Anyway, most, if not all, of the brackets went bust already in First Round. I doubt there's any bracket getting it right by now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.