News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ET21 on May 01, 2017, 05:48:02 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 01, 2017, 09:21:01 AM
Quote from: ET21 on April 28, 2017, 05:56:10 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 28, 2017, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: ILRoad55 on April 27, 2017, 10:52:29 PM
Technically it is land owned by the Arboretum. I've seen tons of coyotes (or foxes?)  along the fence at the top of that wall. I know the Arboretum will try and oppose it.

But I am curious about the tunnel under 88.
I will make it easy for you IL-56 to I-290 part does arboretum owns that? That part needs widening.

So you'll just leave the IL-56 to I-88 section 3 lanes, surrounded by 4 lane sections?  :hmmm:
That part has C/D lanes.

True, but 4 mainline lanes would still be needed just to keep consistent traffic flow

at very least 3+AUX for the IL-56 to I-290 part. Also rework the lake to I-290 part going north.  But having drop to 3 in between the I-88 ramps should not be that bad.

if 4 main line then the IL-56 to IL 38 part will need 4+AUX.

ILRoad55

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 01, 2017, 09:25:10 PM
Technically it is land owned by the Arboretum. I've seen tons of coyotes (or foxes?)  along the fence at the top of that wall. I know the Arboretum will try and oppose it.

I will make it easy for you IL-56 to I-290 part does arboretum owns that? That part needs widening.

So you'll just leave the IL-56 to I-88 section 3 lanes, surrounded by 4 lane sections?  :hmmm:
That part has C/D lanes.

True, but 4 mainline lanes would still be needed just to keep consistent traffic flow

at very least 3+AUX for the IL-56 to I-290 part. Also rework the lake to I-290 part going north.  But having drop to 3 in between the I-88 ramps should not be that bad.

It'll be up to IDOT to widen the stretch from Army Trail to 290 since that part is not the tollway. I never understood that though.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ILRoad55 on May 01, 2017, 09:38:52 PM
Quote from: Joe The Dragon on May 01, 2017, 09:25:10 PM

That part has C/D lanes.

It'll be up to IDOT to widen the stretch from Army Trail to 290 since that part is not the tollway. I never understood that though.

IDOT Maintains that stretch because it pre-dates the tollway portion by about 15-20 years. The tollway took over the the I-355 project in the 1980s when it was determined that IDOT didn't have the funds to complete it.

I-39

Have they started work on the I-90 WB entrance ramp from Central Road yet?

tribar

I forgot my I-PASS at home and drove through the I-PASS only lanes the other day.  Do they just take the money out of my account or do I have to go though the whole missed toll process?

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tribar on May 20, 2017, 04:15:59 PM
I forgot my I-PASS at home and drove through the I-PASS only lanes the other day.  Do they just take the money out of my account or do I have to go though the whole missed toll process?
they should read your plate and list it as a V-toll.

SSOWorld

you have 7 days to pay online before you get a violation.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 20, 2017, 05:14:21 PM

No.  He's fine.  It'll just be a vToll as he has a transponder and he's in their system.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cl94

Quick question: does ISTHA give E-ZPass discounts to all users, or only people with Illinois tags? Need to know how much I should have on my account when I'm out near Chicago for the meet next weekend.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on May 20, 2017, 06:35:47 PM

No.  He's fine.  It'll just be a vToll as he has a transponder and he's in their system.
Ah.

I learn something new every day :sombrero:
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

nwi_navigator_1181

I can personally vouch for this. My transponder missed the last three tolls of the Indiana-bound Tri-State Tollway and was later fixed. Just make the adjustments and calculate your balance accordingly; it will take a couple of weeks for the V-Tolls to reflect in your transponder history.

Regarding the iPass/EZPass discount: the discounted toll rate applies to all drivers who carry a registered transponder. The only thing that may cause hang up is the surcharge fee for non-iPass users, which is only a nickel or so.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Revive 755

Quote from: I-39 on May 12, 2017, 04:00:37 PM

Still has not started - rumor has it there were issues with the bids for the project.

I thought ISTHA was changing things so one time he's fine, but if it happens too many more times, he'll get a violation notice much sooner than in the past?

Brandon

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 20, 2017, 08:11:07 PM

I can personally vouch for this. My transponder missed the last three tolls of the Indiana-bound Tri-State Tollway and was later fixed. Just make the adjustments and calculate your balance accordingly; it will take a couple of weeks for the V-Tolls to reflect in your transponder history.

Regarding the iPass/EZPass discount: the discounted toll rate applies to all drivers who carry a registered transponder. The only thing that may cause hang up is the surcharge fee for non-iPass users, which is only a nickel or so.

And that surcharge is done by the agency that you got your EZ Pass from to cover their admin costs.  Some don't do the surcharge at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

quickshade

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 20, 2017, 11:18:51 PM
Quote from: I-39 on May 12, 2017, 04:00:37 PM

Still has not started - rumor has it there were issues with the bids for the project.

I thought ISTHA was changing things so one time he's fine, but if it happens too many more times, he'll get a violation notice much sooner than in the past?

If his plate is listed linked to the transponder then it doesn't matter it'll just automatically deduct from the account every time. I'm pretty sure it just marks it as a plate read.

hobsini2

Quote from: cl94 on May 20, 2017, 07:14:53 PM
Quick question: does ISTHA give E-ZPass discounts to all users, or only people with Illinois tags? Need to know how much I should have on my account when I'm out near Chicago for the meet next weekend.
I believe you do get a discount but I don't know if it is the full discount. I know I did not get a discount in New York but I did in Indiana and Ohio several years ago.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 21, 2017, 01:46:47 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 20, 2017, 07:14:53 PM
I believe you do get a discount but I don't know if it is the full discount. I know I did not get a discount in New York but I did in Indiana and Ohio several years ago.

I am a Wisconsin resident with an EZ Pass and pay the EZ Pass rate.

SSOWorld

the only thing a non-I-Pass transponder on the E-Z Pass system pays besides the discounted rate (which is equal to that of the I-Pass itself) is what issuing agencies charge, if any.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

on_wisconsin

Quick question- Do I-Pass transponders expire? I got one in 2014 for a road trip out east and was wondering if it could still be used.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

quickshade

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 25, 2017, 04:19:24 PM
Quick question- Do I-Pass transponders expire? I got one in 2014 for a road trip out east and was wondering if it could still be used.

They do, I think mine was issued in 2013 and expires in 2021. But not sure what happens when you get to that date. I doubt it'll stop working. So I imagine they will say just keep it.

Brandon

Quote from: quickshade on May 25, 2017, 04:54:08 PM
Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 25, 2017, 04:19:24 PM

They do, I think mine was issued in 2013 and expires in 2021. But not sure what happens when you get to that date. I doubt it'll stop working. So I imagine they will say just keep it.

When you're close to the date, ISTHA will send you a letter telling you to exchange it for a new one at one of the service centers or a Jewel-Osco free of charge.  That's what I had to do a couple of years ago when mine (originally gotten in 2003) was ready to expire.

dcharlie

My understanding is that the expiration is more a factor of transponder battery life than anything else.

cl94

Quote from: dcharlie on May 26, 2017, 08:20:22 AM
My understanding is that the expiration is more a factor of transponder battery life than anything else.

I'm assuming that's the case, because none of the E-ZPass transponders in my part of the country expire.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the Illinois Tollway system when on it today. Highway-speed toll lanes and pavement was in excellent condition. Compare that to what we have in the northeast (cough...NYSTA and MassDOT...cough) and I actually don't mind paying the toll as much as I do in New York.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

ChiMilNet

Quote from: cl94 on May 26, 2017, 09:17:32 PM

I'm assuming that's the case, because none of the E-ZPass transponders in my part of the country expire.

That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the Illinois Tollway system when on it today. Highway-speed toll lanes and pavement was in excellent condition. Compare that to what we have in the northeast (cough...NYSTA and MassDOT...cough) and I actually don't mind paying the toll as much as I do in New York.

What's ironic is that the Tollway here used to be the system of highways out of date and in poor condition. However, in the past 10-15 years, that really has changed and they really are the best highways in Illinois, definitely much better than anything maintained by IDOT. The Tollway portion of I-90 in particular is quite nice now. Having driven on a number of the Toll Roads in the NE, I must agree that it is rather amazing they're not in better shape there considering how high the tolls are.

quickshade

Quote from: ChiMilNet on May 27, 2017, 02:08:07 AM
Quote from: cl94 on May 26, 2017, 09:17:32 PM

What's ironic is that the Tollway here used to be the system of highways out of date and in poor condition. However, in the past 10-15 years, that really has changed and they really are the best highways in Illinois, definitely much better than anything maintained by IDOT. The Tollway portion of I-90 in particular is quite nice now. Having driven on a number of the Toll Roads in the NE, I must agree that it is rather amazing they're not in better shape there considering how high the tolls are.

After Blago and the toll board being all but cleaned out by Lisa Madigan (the one good thing she might have done in this area) and Quinn the tollway itself cleaned up it's act. The biggest thing it did was distant itself away from Springfield money and politics and really just focused on having a clean image and what was best for the surrounding communities.

It also took a heavy approach in build for the future and not just the repair and replace system that it had in place for so many years, including looking at long term pavement options, green tech, proper water drainage and 21st century technology to help improve the roads and communities. This combined with actually improving the roadway itself via expansion and proper interchange relief has really changed the image of the Illinois Tollway itself. I'm sure there are still a few shady dealings going on underneath it all, because face it we are Illinois but overall the turnaround that it has put itself through and results are well worth it.

ajlynch91

Just imagine what IDOT and Metra could accomplish with some new blood and some addition by subtraction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.