What 'says' road trip to you?

Started by TravelingBethelite, May 02, 2016, 08:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/8

Many of my big road trips involve crossing the border in WNY (Buffalo-Niagara Falls), so these two apply for me:

US Customs at the Peace Bridge (from GSV)

The Cellino & Barnes billboard on I-190 in Buffalo (from here). I still prefer the old phone number, even though it's harder to remember. But it sounds better with their jingle - "Cellino & Barnes, injury attornies, call 854-20-20". Though I guess "Don't wait, call 8" works too :D

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 7/8 on August 12, 2016, 08:50:19 PM
Many of my big road trips involve crossing the border in WNY (Buffalo-Niagara Falls), so these two apply for me:

The Cellino & Barnes billboard on I-190 in Buffalo (from here). I still prefer the old phone number, even though it's harder to remember. But it sounds better with their jingle - "Cellino & Barnes, injury attornies, call 854-20-20". Though I guess "Don't wait, call 8" works too :D

Weird to see a Transformers 3 edition Camaro in that gaggle of cars.  Not that border crossings were exactly the biggest cake walk before passports but they sure as shit weren't like that.

7/8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 12, 2016, 09:31:24 PM
Weird to see a Transformers 3 edition Camaro in that gaggle of cars.  Not that border crossings were exactly the biggest cake walk before passports but they sure as shit weren't like that.

I would say it doesn't even look too bad for today's standards. :-/ I hear family members talk about days where they casually crossed the border with almost no questions asked, which makes me jealous :-D. But as long as you don't go during peak hours, the wait times aren't too bad.

kphoger

Quote from: 7/8 on August 12, 2016, 09:43:21 PM

I would say it doesn't even look too bad for today's standards. :-/ I hear family members talk about days where they casually crossed the border with almost no questions asked, which makes me jealous :-D. But as long as you don't go during peak hours, the wait times aren't too bad.

The last time I went to Canada, the guy in the shack on the Ambassador Bridge said, "Where you headed?"  I answered, and he replied "All right" and waved us ahead.  But that was in 2002 or so.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Thing 342

Generally depends on the direction that I'm headed. When i'm headed southbound, it's usually south of the border signs. Westbound,it's usually the signs at the I-64/I-81 junction in Staunton. Headed northbound, it's either signs for King's Dominion or the CBBT.

D-Dey65

Quote from: dgolub on May 02, 2016, 07:01:07 PM
For me growing up as a kid on Long Island, it was always the Throgs Neck Bridge (I-295).
As you know, I grew up on Long Island too, but as far as I was concerned it wasn't that much of a road trip until either north or west of the city. The Throgs Neck really wasn't enough for me.

These days... I don't know... maybe the Northbound I-95 Georgia Welcome Center.

Max Rockatansky

Plotting out on a spreadsheet your mileage so you can estimate when you need to change the transmission fluid and oil before a 2,500 mile trip.  Trying to think of ways to close the 300 mile gap that you are short between the interval because it falls on a day you have nothing better to do.  Pouring over tire reviews because your current set is at 5.5/32 of an inch left of tread and won't fit the bill for what's ahead.  Repairing battery acid ridden negative ECU terminal that you found because the digital clock attached to the infotainment system can't keep time straight.  Having the left front rotor machined because you warped it from too little engine braking on the downhill descent from the high mountains a couple weeks back even though you know better.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: 7/8 on August 12, 2016, 08:50:19 PM

Here in NYC they're obliged to add 800 in. Ruins the whole effect.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 31, 2016, 09:59:54 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on May 31, 2016, 06:42:51 PM
Having to wake up at 8 AM and waiting half an hour just for preparations because I'm done by then. Cue Sonic the Hedgehog's signature phrase.

That's way too damn late for a road trip wake up time.  My Dad would flip his $#*% back when I was your age if we weren't on the road by 4 AM.  :-D

Quoting humorist Dave Barry:

QuoteAnother part of the Guy Code of Conduct still in effect is that only Dad can drive.  If necessary, Dad will permanently bond his hands to the steering wheel with Crazy Glue to prevent Mom from driving, because he knows that if she had the wheel, she might suffer a lapse of judgment and decide to actually stop for something, such as food or sleep or medical care for little Jennifer, whose appendix has apparently burst.  No, Dad will not allow minor distractions such as these to interfere with his vacation schedule, which looks like this:

6:00-6:15 a.m:  See Yellowstone National Park
6:15-6:25 a.m:  See Grand Canyon
6:25-7:00 a.m:  Canada

What Dad means by "see," of course, is "drive past at 67 miles per hour."  Dad feels it is a foolish waste of valuable vacation time to get out of the car and actually go look at an attraction such as the White House, Niagara Falls, the Louvre, etc.

And quoting humorist Erma Bombeck:

"Don't you think we should stop and get a bite to eat?" I ask.
"Why?" answers Captain Daddy.  "We just got rolling."
"We got rolling at five this morning," I say.  "It is now two-thirty in the afternoon and my vision is beginning to blur."
"You exaggerate," he said.  "I wanted to make Goose Fork by four.  If we stop you'll all want to go to the bathroom, stretch your legs, and get out of the car to eat and that will blow another twenty minutes."

My own response to the OP:
Loading up my car with a gallon jug of water, maps, and GPS unit.  And in cold weather, putting my coat in the back seat because I'll be in the car for the next several hours and don't need to be wearing it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.