Anyone remember US 84 signed in downtown Brunswick GA?

Started by usends, May 07, 2016, 09:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usends

Official maps consistently show that US 84 ended in central Brunswick from about 1956 to 1989.  But I think I've read eyewitness reports that it was not actually signed that way.  Does anyone here have personal recollections from somewhere in that timeframe?
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

roadman65

It was signed along US 17 to the GA 50 cutoff to Jekyl Island.  When coming off the original lift bridge back in 1977 it had both a JCT GA 50 as well as a JCT US 84 shield heading SB on US 17.  Then the shields at the turnoff for Jekyl Island and beyond featured US 84 as being concurrent with US 17.  It never went across the Sydney Lanier Bridge at all into Brunswick, as far as I know for that time period.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

usends

So your recollection is that US 84's endpoint was to the south of the lift bridge, at the turnoff to Jekyll Island?  What are the approx. years that you remember it that way?

roadman65

Quote from: usends on May 08, 2016, 03:18:33 PM
So your recollection is that US 84's endpoint was to the south of the lift bridge, at the turnoff to Jekyll Island?  What are the approx. years that you remember it that way?
I was only there in 77, so it had to be that way for around then.  I think it was that way soon after and before it became US 82, but cannot be totally sure.

Yes, things can change at the hat drop with road signs, so it could have been signed over the lift bridge and ended with US 341 or even further up with US 25.  However at the time GA 520 was GA 50, and GA 50 followed US 84 to Waycross and then US 82 to the AL State Line from there, so I assume that US 84 would have followed the state route counterpart and not deviate from it. 

In fact I am surprised that it did not go all the way to Jekyl Island at that time as I thought it was strange it ended abruptly even though its state route companion went all the way there.   

Sheryl Crowe

usends

Does GDoT have any roads that are designated state highways in terms of maintenance, but which are signed differently than what is stated on the route logs?  Or not signed at all?

Specifically, I'm wondering if it's possible that US 84 might have been defined as going into downtown Brunswick for maintenance purposes, but signage didn't actually extend that far?

roadman65

I was reading in Wikipedia that US 82 officially stops at US 17 just west of I-95.  I do not know how accurate that one is or not, but I was last there in 04 on the stretch from I-95 into Brunswick at that time it did feature US 82 signs and very much indicating a concurrency with US 17 at least to the Sidney Lanier Bridge.

I am beginning to think that US 84's signing an endpoint is ambiguous!  Being that the perfect reference point is not just there, so all throughout the years each engineer might of thought that it should end at the spot he or she though fit, even though it might of been already determined at one specific point.

My question is why did not they agree that all the US routes end at one intersection and why does US 25 and US 341 both split in Downtown Brunswick and end separately?  First of all locals consider US 25 to be nonexistent and refer to the two route concurrency as just plain ole US 341.  In fact US 25 from Luduwici to Brunswick is totally concurred with both US 301 and US 341, so GA 99 should have always been US 25 to Elonia where it would concur with US 17 through Darien and end it at where US 341 ends at US 17.  Also at that time US 84 should have ended at that intersection as well.

Now with I-95 truncation to the interstate is probably the best.  First of all US 25 when approaching US 84 does have a TO I-95 Shield directing motorists to stay ahead on GA 99 instead of turning right with it onto US 84 with US 301.  Being that no one even cares that US 25 even exists south of Ludwici (and even maybe Statesboro) why don't GA just ask AASHTO to decommission it's concurrencies with US 84 and US 341 and route the damned thing down GA 99 and end at I-95 there.  Second leaving US 82 at I-95 Exit 29 is the best and don't stop it even a few feet short if Wikipedia is correct.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.