News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: dvferyance on May 06, 2017, 11:23:37 PM
I would like to see I-74 extended east across OH-32 down US-23 to US-52 to I-64 in Huntington. I would end it there though the WV portion is not needed. Portions of OH-32 and US-52 are already freeway like.[/quote]

Good luck with that. Ohio isn't interested in any new interstates, most recent example being OH-8 between I-77/I-76 in Akron and I-271 near Macedonia. There was a push from local officials along that corridor a few years ago to designate OH-8 as I-380, but ODOT refused to pursue it and pretty much told them to pound sand.

Sharp contrast from NC, where NCDOT is quick to pursue new interstate designations if there's strong local support for it. Look no further than eastern NC, where they gained future interstates I-42, I-87, I-587 and the future extension of I-795 from Goldsboro to I-40, all within a year.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: dvferyance on May 06, 2017, 11:23:37 PMI would like to see I-74 extended east across OH-32 down US-23 to US-52 to I-64 in Huntington. I would end it there though the WV portion is not needed. Portions of OH-32 and US-52 are already freeway like.

Not really needed. The AA Highway moves traffic just fine between the Cincinnati and Ashland/Huntington area. And if you want to stay in Ohio, OH 32/US 23/US 52 is all four-lane with not enough traffic lights to be overly burdensome.

Not everything needs to be an interstate a limited-access full freeway (and yes, I still feel this way about US 220 between Martinsville and Roanoke, and US 31 between Indy and South Bend).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Strider

Quote from: dvferyance on May 06, 2017, 11:23:37 PM
Quote from: Strider on May 03, 2017, 03:06:05 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 02, 2017, 06:51:13 PM
It seems unlikely West Virginia will construct its portion to Interstate Standards. Whether it will ever enter Virginia is up in the air. Ditto for South Carolina.

It will enter Virginia and South Carolina some day. It just won't go to Ohio or Michigan. Maybe not West Virginia.
I would like to see I-74 extended east across OH-32 down US-23 to US-52 to I-64 in Huntington. I would end it there though the WV portion is not needed. Portions of OH-32 and US-52 are already freeway like.

Yeah that would be very nice, but I cannot see it happening unless Ohio seriously wants I-74 extension. (or to have I-73 extended into there).

MikeSantNY78

Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 04, 2017, 04:25:12 PM
If I-73 can be built from South Carolina to Virginia, then I think it won't be a waste. I think that I-73 could help provide a western bypass of I-95 and the Northeast Corridor. Then someone can use I-73 to cut over to I-81 (then to I-78), and vice-versa.
Maybe it's possible to amend the legislation so the route of I-73 can be altered: from Roanoke, use I-81 to get to western VA, and maybe to a more-developed Corridor H, tying in (eventually) to US 219 in Grantsville, then through Western PA and WNY to the Buffalo area, thus breathing new life into the Continental 1 project; the possibility is there...

NE2

Continental 1 doesn't need new life. It's a bullshit project.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

sparker

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on May 08, 2017, 09:17:37 AM
If I-73 can be built from South Carolina to Virginia, then I think it won't be a waste. I think that I-73 could help provide a western bypass of I-95 and the Northeast Corridor. Then someone can use I-73 to cut over to I-81 (then to I-78), and vice-versa.
Maybe it's possible to amend the legislation so the route of I-73 can be altered: from Roanoke, use I-81 to get to western VA, and maybe to a more-developed Corridor H, tying in (eventually) to US 219 in Grantsville, then through Western PA and WNY to the Buffalo area, thus breathing new life into the Continental 1 project; the possibility is there...
Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2017, 12:37:05 PM

While a few segments of the overall Continental One plan may have merit as regional SIU's, the overall concept is simply overstated and speculative at best (NE2 is essentially correct on this one!).  The US 219 corridor in WVA will never, ever host enough traffic to warrant an expressway, much less an Interstate-grade facility (the portion carrying Corridor "H" notwithstanding).  Most of the function of that conceptual corridor is presently being fulfilled by already-developed parallel routes, particularly in the areas to the south of the southern US 219 terminus.  It's just unnecessary and duplicative! 

Henry

Quote from: sparker on May 08, 2017, 11:13:22 PM
Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on May 08, 2017, 09:17:37 AM
Quote from: NE2 on May 08, 2017, 12:37:05 PM

While a few segments of the overall Continental One plan may have merit as regional SIU's, the overall concept is simply overstated and speculative at best (NE2 is essentially correct on this one!).  The US 219 corridor in WVA will never, ever host enough traffic to warrant an expressway, much less an Interstate-grade facility (the portion carrying Corridor "H" notwithstanding).  Most of the function of that conceptual corridor is presently being fulfilled by already-developed parallel routes, particularly in the areas to the south of the southern US 219 terminus.  It's just unnecessary and duplicative! 
Yes, and besides, isn't that what I-79 is for? (Actually, you still need to take I-90 East to get from Erie to Buffalo, but US 219 is just fine as it is.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

vdeane

Heck, Continental 1 is actually LONGER than the existing routes.  Aside from a few sections that would be useful from a regional level, it's a solution in search of a problem.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

There's probably justification for building an improved US 219 between Erie and I-68, especially since there are disconnected segments of freeway/expressway along the corridor, but not down into West Virginia. Elkins to Marlinton to Lewisburg isn't exactly heavily traveled.

I can also see making improvements to US 220 between I-64 and Roanoke since it serves as a shortcut from the Covington/Clifton Forge area and acts as a hypotenuse of sorts (ducking).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on May 09, 2017, 02:38:37 PM
I can also see making improvements to US 220 between I-64 and Roanoke since it serves as a shortcut from the Covington/Clifton Forge area and acts as a hypotenuse of sorts (ducking).

IIRC, that section of US 220 was actually part of High Priority Corridor #3, as a connection between I-64 and the continuation of that corridor across VA on US 460.  So it's been on someone's radar since 1991.  Now how it got to the "western" section of HPC 3 (which was the nascent I-66 cross-KY concept) through WVA was anyone's guess; the corridor language never spelled that out (although a combination of King Coal, Coalfields, and I-64 would have likely sufficed if developed).  HPC 3 was the very definition of a "corridor-by-committee"; a pretty pie-in-the-sky overall concept, but not terribly well thought-out -- the nuts & bolts just didn't fit -- and still don't!

bob7374

No news on when I-73 between NC 68 and US 220 will open, but it should soon. Meanwhile, I've posted photos Strider took of construction progress further north along US 220 which includes the opening the NC 68 South exit and new ramps to access NC 65. Here's a closeup of the signage for the NC 68 and NC 65 exits. Exit tabs will be added for future Exits 122 and 123 when construction is complete:

I've posted all the photos on my I-73 Segment 1 http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg1.html#photos
and Segment 2 pages: http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg2.html#photos

wdcrft63

The section of I-73 from NC 68 to US 220 will open at noon Friday (5/19), weather permitting (and it will probably permit).
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=13848

Strider

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 17, 2017, 04:44:06 PM
The section of I-73 from NC 68 to US 220 will open at noon Friday (5/19), weather permitting (and it will probably permit).

Yeah I found out about it this afternoon. About time.

bob7374

Quote from: Strider on May 17, 2017, 07:04:45 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 17, 2017, 04:44:06 PM
Here's the Greensboro News & Record article with 2 of the NCDOT photos from the press release:
http://www.greensboro.com/rockingham_now/news/danville/portion-of-i--in-guilford-opening-to-drivers/article_2270836a-3b42-11e7-9bb5-cb99c98e102c.html

Here's one of the photos:

Yeah I found out about it this afternoon. About time.

Strider

Drove on the road today when it opened. I must say that they did very good job with the NC 68-US 220 Connector. It does help cut down travel time between NC 68 (Exit 111) and US 220 (Exit 119). My only complaint about the road is the tight curve at the US 220 interchange.

Now waiting for the section between NC 68 (Exit 111) and the PTI Airport interchange (Exit 109) to open later in July. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Strider on May 19, 2017, 10:07:26 PM
Drove on the road today when it opened. I must say that they did very good job with the NC 68-US 220 Connector. It does help cut down travel time between NC 68 (Exit 111) and US 220 (Exit 119). My only complaint about the road is the tight curve at the US 220 interchange.

Did they leave the I-73 shields up, or were they covered?

Strider

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on May 19, 2017, 10:08:32 PM
Quote from: Strider on May 19, 2017, 10:07:26 PM

Did they leave the I-73 shields up, or were they covered?

The I-73 shields are up.

Strider

Here are the YouTube link to the newly opened US 220-NC 68 Connector. You might have to view it in a full screen since it was filmed with the iPhone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuQoV1tJjb0 (northbound)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flyqWb5FHj4 (southbound)

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

Here's the photos of the new section of I-73 sent to me from Strider, including of the overhead signs at the temporary end of I-73 South:

The remainder of the photos can be seen on my I-73 Segment 3 page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/i73seg3.html#photos

GreenLanternCorps

Does anyone have a link to a good map of the project, showing what is open and what is being worked on?

I cannot find a high resolution map for this project.

Strider

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on May 22, 2017, 09:57:28 PM
Does anyone have a link to a good map of the project, showing what is open and what is being worked on?

http://www.malmeroads.net/i7374nc/index.html

or

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/futureI73/

Look for the section from NC 68 northeast to US 220, that is what is just opened (R-2413A). The section (I-5110) between NC 68 and Bryan Blvd should be open this summer.

The section from US 220 northwards to NC 68 (R-2413B) in Rockingham County should be finished in late fall.

You should be able to find the maps in the NCDOT section.

bob7374

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on May 22, 2017, 09:57:28 PM

Here's the map on my site I got from the NCDOT website a couple years ago showing the route, what's open, and what's being worked on, a little out of date with some of the projects listed now complete:

Roadsguy

Why doesn't I-74 just go to Wilmington?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

sparker

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 23, 2017, 12:49:29 PM
Why doesn't I-74 just go to Wilmington?

That would make much more sense than the reverse "C" routing through the swamps -- but the authors of HPC 5, the corridor's authorizing legislative effort, wanted both halves of the composite (73/74) corridor to serve Myrtle Beach & environs; although close, Wilmington wasn't on their radar.  It would take modifying legislation to that extant statute to change matters -- or, as a simpler alternative, designating US 74/76 east of NC 211 a x74 or (blech!) I-74N.  It's likely that some freeway upgrades to US 17 from Wilmington to the SC state line (in conjunction with that state's plans to extend SC 31 northeast to the line) will take place sooner or later; the portion of 74 along NC 211 could then be developed on an "infinitely leisurely" schedule, with the portion not on the original HPC 5 corridor being, in all probability, an extension of I-140.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.