News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tappan Zee Vantage Points

Started by AsphaltPlanet, May 26, 2016, 08:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

I am planning to swing by the Tappen Tappan Zee construction site on my way home after the Corridor H meet this weekend.  I am just wondering about good publicly accessible vantage points to go and have a look at the construction site.  I don't mind having to walk a bit to get there.  Thanks!
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Pete from Boston

There are a lot of signs on either end (including on the Thruway) directing motorists to "viewing platforms" on the water.  Neither is a straight shot from the highway, but the signs are thorough.

Find your way to Old Mountain Road just south of the Thruway on the Nyack side.  Drive slowly down the hill and you'll have a stunning end-on view of the bridge.

And it is Tappan, no e.

Duke87

The "viewing platform" on the Nyack side is at the end of Depew Ave.

Ferry Rd in Piermont is also a pretty cool spot to check out although the existing bridge will be between you and the new one.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

dgolub

There's also a viewing platform near the train station in Tarrytown on the other side of the river.

Alps

What time of what day do you expect to be there? I do live fairly close.

AsphaltPlanet

I'd imagine that I'd be through sometime on Sunday evening or so.  I don't typically plan my trips enough to know a specific time this far out.  I'll PM you.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Pete from Boston

If you have the time and really want to raise the bar, there are several kayak rental places in the area.  There was no above-water new structure when I last did this, but the water's generally calm enough to get a ways out and get some really neat perspectives.  It helps to have a vehicle in which you can easily tote the boat to an ideal launch.

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on May 26, 2016, 07:08:37 PM
There's also a viewing platform near the train station in Tarrytown on the other side of the river.

Yes, from the area of Tarrytown station you could walk south through the various parks and marinas and get pretty close to the bridge site. You could even buy yourself a round trip ticket between Tarrytown and Irvington and get two train rides directly under the bridge. You get a great view of the progressing steelwork as well as the raising of the central piers.

Strider

Take pictures of it! I am curious on what it look like now.

AsphaltPlanet

Thanks for the tips.  The viewing platforms were indeed quite well signed, and there were a number of good vantage points for the new bridge.  I am happy that I got out there to have a look at the construction, and there were quite a number of kayakers in the river adjacent to the bridge construction.  I took quite a number of photos.  A have posted a small selection of them below:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NY/I/287/I287_dv_17-5_east_May16_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NY/I/287/I287_structure_18_northeast_May16_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NY/I/287/I287_structure_18_east_May16_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NY/I/287/I287_structure_18_southwest_May16_24x16.jpg

froggie

For those who are also train-buffs, it's also a neat view from the rail tracks along the Hudson, whether riding Amtrak's Empire Service or the Metro-North Hudson Line.

jpi

I plan on passing through there tomorrow late morning\ early afternoon, what exit off 287 did you take to get to the viewing point?
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

AsphaltPlanet

There are vantage points on both sides of the river from accessible from both Exit 9 and Exit 10.  If I were to only chose one, I'd pick the eastern vantage point in Tarrytown accessible from Exit 9, as I think the view from that one is better.  The viewpoints are well signed from the interstate.

jpi

Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

KEVIN_224

@ ASPHALTPLANET: Any idea what was with the ramp closure in your first picture?  :hmmm:

AsphaltPlanet

I'm sure others here can provide a better answer than I, but I'm guessing that ramp was closed due to the construction of the new bridge.  The new bridge is being constructed to the north of the existing structure, and this ramp would carry traffic through the active construction zone onto the old bridge.  The bridge is still pretty easily accessed by following the ramp to 119 immediately downstream of this sign.

empirestate

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 02, 2016, 08:47:44 AM
I'm sure others here can provide a better answer than I, but I'm guessing that ramp was closed due to the construction of the new bridge.  The new bridge is being constructed to the north of the existing structure, and this ramp would carry traffic through the active construction zone onto the old bridge.  The bridge is still pretty easily accessed by following the ramp to 119 immediately downstream of this sign.

Yes, the direct ramp from US 9 south making a simple right turn onto the bridge is closed for the project. Access is maintained by taking US 119 to the left (via a jughandle on the right) and using its ramp onto 87/287.

Pete from Boston

Here's a look at the toll booth area a couple of weeks ago, from the Broadway overpass:

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 02, 2016, 04:29:55 PM
Here's a look at the toll booth area a couple of weeks ago, from the Broadway overpass:

That area will be much better next year when everything is on the new WB bridge. Even without the construction, driving over Tappan Zee was a nightmare due to the holes in the deck and the grades.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Pete from Boston

Quote from: cl94 on June 02, 2016, 08:05:38 PM

That area will be much better next year when everything is on the new WB bridge. Even without the construction, driving over Tappan Zee was a nightmare due to the holes in the deck and the grades.

Holes in the decks?  I have driven it hundreds of times; did I miss the holes?

cl94

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 02, 2016, 09:27:52 PM

Can't see them when driving, but knowing there are some is enough to keep me off of the thing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Didn't they just redeck the thing?  It certainly didn't last long then.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

AsphaltPlanet

The eastbound lanes of the Tappan Zee were pretty much immaculate when I drove over them last weekend.  There were no visible problems at all with the bridge deck.

connroadgeek

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 02, 2016, 09:27:52 PM

Haven't driven it in a while, but I remember steel plates to cover up holes especially eastbound.

froggie

The holes that I remember seeing on the eastbound side were before the redecking.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.