News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What year was this installed?

Started by traffic light guy, June 26, 2016, 04:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year was this installed

0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1 (11.1%)
2 (22.2%)
3 (33.3%)
1 (11.1%)
0 (0%)
1 (11.1%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)
1980 Or Beyond
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

traffic light guy

This may be a stupid question, but I assume this was installed in the 1970s. Plus the traffic signal bracket wasn't invented until 1968.  Despite this, it's still very difficult to tell exactly when this was installed, as this is a doghouse traffic signal, and the yellow arrow wasn't approved by the MUTCD until 1971. However the model of this signal, which is an Eagle Flatback, ceased production in 1973. Making It more of a head-scratcher to tell the persice year this was put up. I'm gonna round this up to the nearest estimate and say this was installed in 1974, but I know for sure this was installed in any year between 1967 and 1978.

traffic light guy

I'm also confused as to what year this was installed too. Mainly because there are a few things going on with this picture. The oldest signal is the Flatback doghouse, but the signal on the right is a slightly newer Durasig (Gen 2 possibly), I'm guessing it was installed around 1990, as it got replaced with an Econolite in 2009, but the older doghouse remains in service as of today, but will probably be replaced with something modern within the next few years. But with the 12" Flatback Doghouse, I'm guessing 1973-ish. The signal itself was manufactured in the early-'70s, but I don't know for sure the era it was installed, because these signals look very close together in age, these are at least 17 years apart. This is also the same intersection as the previous picture. But I'm going with my gut and say that the doghouse signal was installed in 1974 and the Durasig was installed around 1990.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Ian

Are you aware that there is another forum that's based specifically on traffic signals? It's called Highway Divides, and everyone there is very knowledgeable when it comes to signals (and sometimes signs). You might be better off asking questions like this over there...
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

traffic light guy

Quote from: Ian on June 27, 2016, 06:59:19 PM
Are you aware that there is another forum that's based specifically on traffic signals? It's called Highway Divides, and everyone there is very knowledgeable when it comes to signals (and sometimes signs). You might be better off asking questions like this over there...

I did, but for some reason It won't let me register

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: Ian on June 27, 2016, 06:59:19 PM

I do agree with Ian. Not many people here are knowledgeable about signals and such. If you can't register there, send an e-mail to the admit (Matt). There shouldn't be a problem.

traffic light guy

I figured it out, I E-mailed someone from PennDOT, accoridng to old data that showed up on a microfilm, the supervisor stated that Levittown's last modernisation was in 1973, which included all the Eagle flatback intersections in the surrounding area.

traffic light guy

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 27, 2016, 06:30:55 PM
I'm gonna guess about 1973.
You are correct, that signal was installed in 1973, according to an E-Mail that I had received from PennDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.