News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Train "Street Running"

Started by Roadrunner75, July 11, 2016, 01:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner75

So while looking around on Google Maps I ran across this street in West Brownsville, PA where the freight tracks run right down the middle of Main Street for a few blocks.  From watching lots of train videos with my son I know this is commonly called "street running", but it's still interesting to see active tracks running down a residential street.  Trolleys and passenger light rail are one thing, but I can't imagine looking out my front door at a freight train coming down my street within inches of my parked car.  Here's a few GSV links:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0252515,-79.8889213,3a,66.8y,36.81h,90.25t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1spqwM_0EUfm1dRWx83PV3Xg!2e0?force=lite

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0287226,-79.8832887,3a,79.3y,33.78h,89.57t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1squLZj7Rjd5IAMI2Pxg8XRQ!2e0?force=lite

...and one of the videos of the train passing through:

And finally...

coatimundi

Years ago, I came across the one in New Albany, IN and it just scared the hell out of me. I can imagine it being terrifying to be driving along, and seeing a giant locomotive in your rearview. I guess people get used to it.

jakeroot

The Port of Tacoma, in Washington State, has several railways running down the center of the street, but they're not commonly used.

Renton, WA has a passenger railway running down Houser Way, one of their main arterial roads. The railway is, however, hardly ever used (only, very rarely, by specialty dinner trains, and by Boeing to ship airplane fuselages to their Renton plant).

SteveG1988

Burlington NJ, i think the Riverline (which is light rail) uses CSX track there. So that means at night there is the potential for trains to use it that are freight oriented.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

GaryV

Until 1933, train tracks shared the right of way with US-41/M-28 in Marquette.

catch22

La Grange, Kentucky is another example.  The CSXT Cincinnati-Louisville main line runs down Main Street.  Here's a pic I took back in March:

mgk920

CN (original Chicago and North Western) goes down a few blocks of street in Oconto, WI, too.

Mike

KEVIN_224

I think some of the NICTD commuter train line does this en route to South Bend, IN. I've only been on it to Hammond, IN and it wasn't doing it there. The line heads out south and east from under Millennium Park in Chicago.

Max Rockatansky

Hell that used to be a lot more common...  Usually those kind of rail alignments if they still exist are found in the northeast where street grid pre-dates automobile traffic.

TEG24601

Monticello IN used to have this, until they line was decommissioned, and the rails removed.  Now it is just a gravel median, with two blocks of planters, between the two directions of travel.  The only clue on the ground is that the street is called "Railroad St".
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

catch22

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on July 11, 2016, 10:13:32 AM
I think some of the NICTD commuter train line does this en route to South Bend, IN. I've only been on it to Hammond, IN and it wasn't doing it there. The line heads out south and east from under Millennium Park in Chicago.

Yes, in Michigan City for a few blocks along 11th Street:

https://goo.gl/maps/oiaNbpprMt92

JCinSummerfield

Can also be found in Marietta, OH.

jwolfer

Downtown Pensacola had a freight train through the street downtown at least in 1992. I went to visit my brother who was stained there and my friend and I went to the bar, people we climbing on the train and it was moving

1995hoo

Ashland, Virginia, has that, including a train station in town, but there is a curb to either side of the tracks separating the street from the tracks. It's one of the more interesting parts of the Auto Train run.

Edited to add Street View link: https://goo.gl/maps/JSwzLtyQhVy
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

renegade

E. First St. in Monroe, Michigan used to have a track running along the north curb line of the street.  It was removed in the late 70s, I think.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

7/8

All aboard, the Polar Express!  :bigass:

Roadrunner75

Here's one in Colton, CA that I found awhile back.  We were looking at old wigwag signals on Youtube, and we came across this one with both wigwags and street running:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0619618,-117.3240402,3a,66.8y,136.48h,90.83t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sumYbpapJpfyHcEIANNupCQ!2e0?force=lite

And video:

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Buck87

6th street in Augusta, GA has a street running rail line that follows it for about 10 blocks

Mapmikey

Salt Lake City has a public transportation rail system that at a minimum occupies the same space as some left turn lanes...

empirestate

I've found this to be surprisingly common, actually. Georgia seems to be fond of it; I know of active street running segments in Augusta (https://goo.gl/maps/rCrqHsf9vv32) and Columbus (https://goo.gl/maps/A49A2EF4jGz)–both on 6th Street, coincidentally.

Fort Collins is another major example, along Mason St. I see from Street View that they've reconstructed it to give the tracks a dedicated median, but it used to be flush with the road surface: https://goo.gl/maps/43eNQGcFx5x

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Mapmikey on July 12, 2016, 08:40:28 AM
Salt Lake City has a public transportation rail system that at a minimum occupies the same space as some left turn lanes...

Phoenix has that too in some locations in downtown since they put in the light rail.  But by that token wouldn't the street cars in San Francisco kinda sorta qualify if we're going beyond freight grade rails?

Roadrunner75

Trolleys and passenger light rail are pretty common, as is freight in industrial areas.  I would think less common would be freight running for a significant distance down residential streets as in the West Brownsville and Colton examples.

froggie

How are we defining "street running" here?  Are we defining it where it's simply a rail line that runs down a street?  In this case, several public-transit lines across the country would qualify, including the ones already mentioned.

Or are we defining it more narrowly in that it's a rail line that runs down the middle of a street and where non-train traffic can use the same "lane" that the train does?  In many cases, particularly with the rail transit lines, the line may run down the street but non-train traffic is not authorized to use the lane.  This is also the case with the CSX tracks through Ashland, VA that 1995hoo mentioned earlier...vehicle traffic cannot use the space the tracks are in.

1995hoo

That's why I noted there is a curb to either side. I wasn't sure whether it's exactly the same thing. Sure is interesting to see when you're on the train through Ashland, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.