News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 278, Mississippi 6 and US 45 in Tupelo

Started by mwb1848, August 17, 2016, 05:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwb1848

Does anybody have an update on the stretch of new US 278 between Pontotoc and Tupelo?

Has US 278 been switched to the new southern alignment which ends at Green Street and US 45? Or does it still trek thru Tupelo on Mississippi 6/Main Street? Also, has any of the signage on US 45 been updated to reflect the changes? Are there any old Mississippi 76 shields still handing around?

lordsutch

Yes, both US 278 and MS 6 now follow the new alignment from Pontotoc to US 45. MS 6 is then signed as a multiplex with US 45 north to Main Street. This was all done when I drove it over a year ago.

As far as I know they got rid of all the evidence of MS 76 west of Tupelo, although there are MS 76 signs on the Red Bay bypass east of MS 23.

mwb1848

Thanks for the intel! I have a quick follow-up, though.

So, Mississippi 6 is multiplexed with US 45 north from Green Street to Main Street, where it rejoins the original alignment, going east, then south through Plantersville and on to Nettleton – making an upside down "U"? (Not that traffic would ever follow Mississippi 6 for a particularly efficient route form, say, Pontotoc to Amory.)

lordsutch

Quote from: mwb1848 on August 18, 2016, 11:43:31 AM
Thanks for the intel! I have a quick follow-up, though.

So, Mississippi 6 is multiplexed with US 45 north from Green Street to Main Street, where it rejoins the original alignment, going east, then south through Plantersville and on to Nettleton – making an upside down "U"? (Not that traffic would ever follow Mississippi 6 for a particularly efficient route form, say, Pontotoc to Amory.)

Yes. MDOT eventually intends to extend Corridor V east to the existing MS 6 alignment to straighten it out.

sparker

From the gist of this discussion, it sounds like the Corridor V connector between MS 25 and MS 23 will be designated as MS 76.  Can anyone out there verify this? 

lordsutch

Quote from: sparker on August 18, 2016, 06:42:25 PM
From the gist of this discussion, it sounds like the Corridor V connector between MS 25 and MS 23 will be designated as MS 76.  Can anyone out there verify this? 

It's marked as MS 76 on the State Designated-State Maintained system map.

sparker

Thanks.  That is certainly a useful map to have around -- will definitely  be used in the future.  SP.

codyg1985

That map also shows the proposed realignment of MS 25 through Itawamba and Monroe Counties.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.