News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2017 Southeast Adirondacks Meet - July 8

Started by cl94, October 02, 2016, 10:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Possible Glens Falls/Lake George meet date?

June 24
5 (45.5%)
July 8
11 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Duke87

The route cl94 recommends for getting to Long Island from upstate shouldn't be too bad on a Sunday morning but it will get progressively worse as the day goes on. Try to be across the East River before noon if you can.

On your way back west, you're almost guaranteed to hit traffic no matter what route you take, and it's going to be a question of which is worse that particular day - which isn't all that predictable. Check live traffic before coming back from LI.

I would also caution, if you are going to the GWB, the Deegan is not necessarily any bargain compared to the Cross Bronx right now on account of construction that has it narrowed down to two lanes with lots of bumps and no shoulders in the Bronx Terminal Market area. You may be better off with the Harlem River Drive - which also allows you to save $8.50 in tolls if you take the Queensboro Bridge (bonus: this means clinching part of NY 25 if you haven't already been on it).
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Plus the ramps from the Deegan to the Cross-Bronx and GWB tend to be backed up.  I have never not seen a line of stopped cars there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on May 11, 2017, 07:50:15 PM
The route cl94 recommends for getting to Long Island from upstate shouldn't be too bad on a Sunday morning but it will get progressively worse as the day goes on. Try to be across the East River before noon if you can.

On your way back west, you're almost guaranteed to hit traffic no matter what route you take, and it's going to be a question of which is worse that particular day - which isn't all that predictable. Check live traffic before coming back from LI.

I would also caution, if you are going to the GWB, the Deegan is not necessarily any bargain compared to the Cross Bronx right now on account of construction that has it narrowed down to two lanes with lots of bumps and no shoulders in the Bronx Terminal Market area. You may be better off with the Harlem River Drive - which also allows you to save $8.50 in tolls if you take the Queensboro Bridge (bonus: this means clinching part of NY 25 if you haven't already been on it).

Bolded for emphasis. The bridges are the choke point here. It should be smooth sailing until you're almost to the Bronx, though. I forgot about the Deegan construction - I typically use HRD, BRP or the Hutch, so haven't been on that thing in a couple years. Waze is your friend here.

Quote from: vdeane on May 11, 2017, 08:35:57 PM
Plus the ramps from the Deegan to the Cross-Bronx and GWB tend to be backed up.  I have never not seen a line of stopped cars there.

Seconded and I've been going through that area semi-often for my entire life. That interchange is one of the worst in the region in terms of backups. Trucks have a hard time on the grades and there's a nasty weave just west of the interchange.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

I created an event for the optional pre-meet in southern Washington County 2 hours before the meet. Some of the stuff we'll stop by is quite remote and you'll get to see a few things that you may have never seen before. I designed this thing to be convenient if you're staying in Albany (like most attendees probably are).

Finalized notes for the main meet and pre-meet will be up within the next week or two
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hbelkins

I'm officially backing out of this one. The biggest allure of traveling to the northeast was getting the two Long Island counties I need to finish off New York, but I'll save that for another time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Could the OP be updated to show the date/time/location chosen?

cl94

Quote from: froggie on June 20, 2017, 12:30:45 PM
Could the OP be updated to show the date/time/location chosen?

Done

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

It's in the thread title, but why was the meet renamed from Southeast Adirondacks to Glens Falls?  I'm not aware of a requirement that the meet be named for the town where lunch is (see: the NYC meet in NJ; day 2 didn't even enter NY).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on June 21, 2017, 08:48:50 PM
It's in the thread title, but why was the meet renamed from Southeast Adirondacks to Glens Falls?  I'm not aware of a requirement that the meet be named for the town where lunch is (see: the NYC meet in NJ; day 2 didn't even enter NY).

Because somebody wanted a defined location.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on June 21, 2017, 08:54:14 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 21, 2017, 08:48:50 PM

Because somebody wanted a defined location.
When they wanted a defined location, I believe they meant something along the lines of "the meet will be at 11:30 AM at Cooper's Cave Ale Company in Glens Falls" in the body of the first post.

froggie

^ Yes, that's what I was expecting....in the body of the OP, not in the title.  That's general SOP around here.

cl94

Sorry about that, misunderstood what you were talking about. Updated accordingly.

cl94

Couple of quick things in the week before the meet:

- If you're planning to attend, please RSVP on the Facebook event or send me a PM before the end of Wednesday so I know you're coming. I'd like to try and make a restaurant reservation Thursday. If you think you'll be there but won't know for certain until the day of or a day before, let me know as well. I don't think we'll have any trouble getting a table at the restaurant if we're there when it opens, but I'd rather not take chances.
- If you were at yesterday's Goethals meet, I know whether or not you are coming, so you need not RSVP.
- The pre-meet will be canceled if we do not have at least 2 attendees other than myself RSVP in some fashion by 8 PM Friday night (Why 2? One person could follow the route on their own pretty easily). Again, not a part of the main meet as I know several people are driving in the morning of from quite a distance away, but the Shushan stuff isn't really enough for its own meet and it's a must-visit location for roadgeeks.
- If you have 2-way radios, it might be a good idea to bring them so you have a line to me or another person familiar with the area. I tried to write clear directions and stuff is generally signed well, but a decent portion of the meet is in an area without cell service.
- Current forecast is low 70s with scattered rain. Nothing on the tour involves much (if any) time on unpaved surfaces. If the rain isn't too bad, it will benefit us by keeping some of the tourist traffic away and reducing the number of bugs at the various stops.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on July 02, 2017, 02:23:28 PM
Couple of quick things in the week before the meet:

- If you're planning to attend, please RSVP on the Facebook event or send me a PM before the end of Wednesday so I know you're coming. I'd like to try and make a restaurant reservation Thursday. If you think you'll be there but won't know for certain until the day of or a day before, let me know as well. I don't think we'll have any trouble getting a table at the restaurant if we're there when it opens, but I'd rather not take chances.
- If you were at yesterday's Goethals meet, I know whether or not you are coming, so you need not RSVP.
- The pre-meet will be canceled if we do not have at least 2 attendees other than myself RSVP in some fashion by 8 PM Friday night (Why 2? One person could follow the route on their own pretty easily). Again, not a part of the main meet as I know several people are driving in the morning of from quite a distance away, but the Shushan stuff isn't really enough for its own meet and it's a must-visit location for roadgeeks.
- If you have 2-way radios, it might be a good idea to bring them so you have a line to me or another person familiar with the area. I tried to write clear directions and stuff is generally signed well, but a decent portion of the meet is in an area without cell service.
- Current forecast is low 70s with scattered rain. Nothing on the tour involves much (if any) time on unpaved surfaces. If the rain isn't too bad, it will benefit us by keeping some of the tourist traffic away and reducing the number of bugs at the various stops.
Also, Flying Chicken on Friday night.

froggie

At this point, I'm a TBD and probably game-time decision.

Brandon

I'll be there, but I'm not doing the pre-meet event.  Instead, I'll be visiting the Saratoga Battlefield on the way up from Albany that morning.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: froggie on July 03, 2017, 08:45:34 AM

Noted, I'll make sure there's a seat for you at the restaurant.

Quote from: Brandon on July 03, 2017, 09:31:18 AM
I'll be there, but I'm not doing the pre-meet event.  Instead, I'll be visiting the Saratoga Battlefield on the way up from Albany that morning.

Definitely worth a visit, especially now that they stopped charging entrance fees, and one of my favorite places in the region. 30-45 minutes from the restaurant. Depending on which route you take from the battlefield to Glens Falls, the surrender location (on NY 29 2 blocks east of US 4/NY 32 in Schuylerville) may be an easy stop.

Brandon

Quote from: cl94 on July 03, 2017, 03:37:39 PM
Quote from: froggie on July 03, 2017, 08:45:34 AM

Noted, I'll make sure there's a seat for you at the restaurant.

Quote from: Brandon on July 03, 2017, 09:31:18 AM

Definitely worth a visit, especially now that they stopped charging entrance fees, and one of my favorite places in the region. 30-45 minutes from the restaurant. Depending on which route you take from the battlefield to Glens Falls, the surrender location (on NY 29 2 blocks east of US 4/NY 32 in Schuylerville) may be an easy stop.

My ancestor had his farm on part of the battlefield (not in the park though) and fought for the New York Militia during the battle.  That's kinda my first stop there.  :bigass:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

tckma

Unfortunately I don't think I can make this one either.  Stupid budget!

cl94

I should have a final set of meet notes on here and Facebook tomorrow or Thursday, plus several printed copies. Might not have a printed copy for everyone, but there will definitely be at least 2 for each car. Just want to re-scout the area tomorrow to determine if damage from last weekend's storms will force changes.

cl94

Final notes are here. Only real change was to the snack/restroom stop- figured Stewart's would be faster than Price Chopper, even if it's slightly out of the way.

Again, let me know here or elsewhere if you plan to attend this (or are thinking about it and are not certain) and I want a FIRM count for the pre-meet by 8 PM EDT Friday. I'm canceling the pre-meet if we don't have at least 2 people other than myself.

vdeane

Is there any interest in the pre-meet?  I was thinking of attending, if anyone else was going to.

froggie

Sorry, folks, and apologies to cl94, but I'm out for tomorrow.  Got too much to take care of (including a literature review for thesis) before I leave for Minnesota in 2 weeks.

Duke87

I'm passing on the pre-meet so I can clinch roads.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.