News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Your traffic signal pictures

Started by traffic light guy, November 03, 2016, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

traffic light guy

I have a handfull of pictures of signals in the Philadelphia area:

A few modern Peek signals

Same set of Peek signals, except it's zoomed out.

Then we have some awesome old  Eagles on an angled mast-arm! According to an old PennDOT record, these were installed in the summer of 1969, and unfortunetly, Abington is applying money in order to replace this equipment. Same intersection as the Peeks.

More 1969 12-inch Eagle Flatbacks , on another awesome angled mast-arm.
Unfortunately, these will be replaced by the time they reach the age of fifty.

Finally a set of Durasigs.

MNHighwayMan

New signal installed last month with a three-section flashing yellow arrow head in Ankeny, IA

epzik8

This is U.S. Route 1 (the Bel Air Bypass) at the Maryland Route 24 split outside of Bel Air, Maryland. This is one of those "left turn yield on flashing arrow" signals. There's also a separate lane for thru traffic continuing on U.S. 1 toward Baltimore that doesn't have to stop at this signal.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

traffic light guy

Modern Econolite signals, these were installed in 2012, and replaced a set of 1980s-era Generation 2 Durasig signals.

Classic Safetran, with a slightly older (By about twenty years) set of Eagle flatbacks.

Older Safetran signal near an elementary school

jakeroot

I have a growing interest in signals, but more so in the operation of them, not so much the signals themselves. Nonetheless, I have a few photos.

British Columbia is a bit of an anomaly among Canadian provinces. 8-inch signals are very widespread around here (both red and green orbs, though less red). 8-inch arrows are also common. 8-inch orbs and arrows are still installed regularly.

Top three are from Vancouver, BC. Bottom is from Seattle.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Is the light in the first picture with the bus signal sign red or yellow?

jakeroot

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on November 15, 2016, 08:42:29 PM
Is the light in the first picture with the bus signal sign red or yellow?

Red. The top lens shows a white vertical line when buses are to proceed.

jakeroot

Here's some post-mounted signals in Renton, Washington. Post-mounted signals are not common in the Seattle area, so it's strange (though, quite nice) to find a whole bunch in one place. Both the right turn from the off-ramp (loop) and the left turn onto the freeway have three turn signals, all at eye level.

Big John

^^ Another oddity for an American signal is the back of the backplates are yellow instead of black.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on November 15, 2016, 09:32:08 PM
^^ Another oddity for an American signal is the back of the backplates are yellow instead of black.

Indeed. Why they chose this, I don't know.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jakeroot on November 15, 2016, 10:33:26 PM
Quote from: Big John on November 15, 2016, 09:32:08 PM

Indeed. Why they chose this, I don't know.
Probably to make the backs of the signals more uniform looking?
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

traffic light guy

Here's a classic Crouse-Hinds setup that I found in Cheltenham, PA. These are all Type Rs.

epzik8

I caught this yesterday at Maryland Route 24 and Jarrettsville Road, a crossroads known as Forest Hill. Something is up with one of the red lights here.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

M3019C LPS20

Looks as if the door for the red section opened on its own, due to wind. The contractor probably didn't tighten the door well enough.

Porksoda

Here are some oddball signals in the troubled town of Zanesville, Ohio.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Porksoda on November 26, 2016, 01:37:09 PM

I really don't understand why that needs to be signed. Weird.

SE 14th St (US-69) and Indianola Ave in Des Moines:

paulthemapguy

I don't take many of these, so it shouldn't be too burdensome to post these all in one go:

Huge spans on these wires at I-65 and US231 in Bowling Green, KY.  I also thought the diagonal arrows were interesting.

IMG_6666 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Old classic signal in Bettsville, OH

OH-012-590E by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Constant-burn green balls being installed in Delaware, OH

IMG_6278 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

Constant-burn ahead arrow at Coal Grove, OH

OH-US52-652W by Paul Drives, on Flickr

I have some other photos I've been looking for too.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 29, 2016, 04:06:42 PM
Constant-burn ahead arrow at Coal Grove, OH

In that same vein, this signal installed at Broadway St and NB MN-280:

Porksoda

Ooh, I remember passing under some of those "green-only" signals in Delaware, Ohio! Those are oddly encouraging because you know they can't turn red!

Here's a very Michigan-esque arrangement outside the steel mills in Dearborn, MI. I always thought it was funny how they use those big lit-up boxes to designate right- or left-turn signals instead of arrows...

MASTERNC

Saw this one yesterday in front of the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.  Not even sure this is compliant?

roadfro

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 11, 2016, 03:28:06 PM
Saw this one yesterday in front of the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ.  Not even sure this is compliant?

Is that showing a red arrow or FYA? I can't tell...

Do you know what each of the five sections displays? It sure doesn't look compliant with MUTCD, and looks extremely uncommon... Especially curious if it's intending to have permitted lefts (the sign suggests otherwise though).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

MASTERNC

Quote from: roadfro on December 11, 2016, 07:52:39 PM

Do you know what each of the five sections displays? It sure doesn't look compliant with MUTCD, and looks extremely uncommon... Especially curious if it's intending to have permitted lefts (the sign suggests otherwise though).

That is a red arrow.  The bottom-most lens is one of the LED arrows that turns from green to yellow.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: MASTERNC on December 11, 2016, 09:54:10 PM

That is a red arrow.  The bottom-most lens is one of the LED arrows that turns from green to yellow.
The red arrow should at least go between the green ball and bi-modal arrow sections. Honestly though, they should've just put up a three-section left turn signal and a three-section through signal. What prevented them from doing that here?

In all honesty, that reminds me of some signals I've seen pictures of in Chicago...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jeffandnicole

NJ doesn't have any FYAs.

Seems like they wanted to go fancy here for no reason. Should've just been a standard protected left turn signal

Bruce

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.