New Texas exit gore signs

Started by dallasnomad730, November 08, 2016, 03:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dallasnomad730

Hey guys, this is my first post here so I went out to Weatherford, TX on the weekend and saw an E5-1a sign out on I-20, not only that but I've seen several gore exit signs out in the Dallas area that are much different than the old style Texas used in the past. I believe the state used E5-1 signs. Personally, I prefer the newer signs than the old ones because the older signs were so ugly looking and over the top.  :biggrin: For example the old signs have the number on top with the numberless exit with a big arrow, Now the modern ones have the exit on top WITH the number with the arrow below. I hope there'll be more new signs in TX and get rid of the old ones! Has anyone seen these types of sign here before? Thanks for reading : )

I don't know how to post a picture here so here are links:

file:///C:/Users/pjayharvey/Pictures/IMG_2065%20copy%201.jpg

file:///C:/Users/pjayharvey/Pictures/16753998430_80c3cee36b_c.jpg
body > img

Ace10

Quote from: dallasnomad730 on November 08, 2016, 03:47:27 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post here so I went out to Weatherford, TX on the weekend and saw an E5-1a sign out on I-20, not only that but I've seen several gore exit signs out in the Dallas area that are much different than the old style Texas used in the past. I believe the state used E5-1 signs. Personally, I prefer the newer signs than the old ones because the older signs were so ugly looking and over the top.  :biggrin: For example the old signs have the number on top with the numberless exit with a big arrow, Now the modern ones have the exit on top WITH the number with the arrow below. I hope there'll be more new signs in TX and get rid of the old ones! Has anyone seen these types of sign here before? Thanks for reading : )

I don't know how to post a picture here so here are links:

file:///C:/Users/pjayharvey/Pictures/IMG_2065%20copy%201.jpg

file:///C:/Users/pjayharvey/Pictures/16753998430_80c3cee36b_c.jpg
body > img

Hey there, and welcome! Posting pictures from your computer won't work on the forum that way. Lots of people use imgur (http://imgur.com/) to post pictures here; try giving that a shot. If you can find the signs on Google Streetview (unlikely if they're really new) you can also post a Google Streetview link which people can click.

dallasnomad730

Pardon my amateur mistake, I have it fixed now:

US 81

I didn't especially mind the old ones but I do like the new ones better.

Welcome.

roadfro

The way Texas appears to have done things before is to use the MUTCD's regular E5-1 exit gore sign with supplemental number plaque, which was intended to be used in instances where a non-numbered exit was later given a number.

Standards in the MUTCD now use the E5-1a numbered exit gore sign (first photo) for all freeways using exit numbering, with the E5-1c narrow version (last photo) allowed as an option in situations where there is insufficient width for the regular version.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

dallasnomad730

QuoteThe way Texas appears to have done things before is to use the MUTCD's regular E5-1 exit gore sign with supplemental number plaque, which was intended to be used in instances where a non-numbered exit was later given a number.

Standards in the MUTCD now use the E5-1a numbered exit gore sign (first photo) for all freeways using exit numbering, with the E5-1c narrow version (last photo) allowed as an option in situations where there is insufficient width for the regular version.

It's pretty interesting seeing Texas have these new narrow point signs. I like them better than the old ones. I've been pretty fixated on them since they've started circa 2012 and saw one on the mixmaster in I-35E. They seem to popping up everywhere now in some parts of the area.

[Edited to add quote tags. -S.]

Pink Jazz

Arizona has the narrow exit gore signs parts of I-17 between I-10 and Loop 101, as well as on the Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway between Loop 101 and Gilbert Road.  I thought this was going to be the new standard for Arizona's urban areas after reconstruction or sign replacement projects, however, the newly widened Loop 101 Pima Freeway between Loop 202 and Shea got the standard wide gore signs.

Scott5114

Except in Oklahoma, the advisory speed is usually Series B stretched to D width.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.