News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Collectively, which countries have we been to?

Started by hotdogPi, November 15, 2016, 10:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Updating (and removing South Africa, as I'm sure Chris has never left Europe):

Albania:  corco
Andorra:  CNGL-Leudimin
Argentina:  froggie
Aruba:  froggie
Australia:  national highway 1, froggie
Austria:  webfil, kphoger, AlexandriaVA
Bahamas:  froggie, epzik8
Bahrain:  froggie
Belgium:  kurumi, kphoger, MisterSG1
Belize:  Brandon, epzik8
Bosnia and Herzegovina:  corco
Brazil:  New to Seattle, froggie
Bulgaria:  corco
Canada:  Several forum members
Cayman Islands:  Brandon
Chile:  froggie
China (PRC)::  corco, froggie (technically)
China (ROC, better known as Taiwan): AlexandriaVA, SignGeek101
Costa Rica:  doorknob60
Croatia:  Truvelo
Cuba:  froggie
Czech Republic:  Alps, kphoger
Denmark: 1995hoo
Djibouti:  froggie
Dominican Republic:  jeffandnicole
Ecuador:  froggie
Estonia: 1995hoo
Ethiopia:  froggie
Finland: 1995hoo
France:  several forum members
Germany:  several forum members
Greece:  froggie, corco
Guatemala: Us 81
Haiti:  jeffandnicole, (technically) oscar
Honduras:  Brandon
Hungary:  Truvelo
Iceland:  froggie, Alps, Dougkerr, Duke87
India:  kurumi
Indonesia:  gibranalnn, SignGeek101
Ireland:  Truvelo, (really technically) oscar
Israel:  Alps
Italy:  several forum members
Japan:  froggie, kurumi, SignGeek101
Jordan:  Alps
Kenya:  froggie
Liechtenstein:  kphoger
Luxembourg:  Truvelo
Maceonia:  corco
Malaysia:  froggie
Mauritius:  froggie
Mexico:  Several forum members
Montenegro:  corco
Nepal:  berberry
The Netherlands:  Chris, froggie, kphoger
Norway:  froggie, Alps
Panama:  froggie
Peru: AsphaltPlanet
Philippines:  wishfulanthony, froggie
Poland:  froggie, Alps, kphoger
Portugal:  CNGL-Leudimin, froggie
Romania:  corco
Russia: 1995hoo, rothman
St. Lucia:  froggie
Serbia:  corco
Seychelles:  froggie
Singapore:  froggie
Slovakia:  Truvelo
Slovenia:  webfil
Spain:  several forum members
Sweden:  froggie, Alps, 1995hoo
Switzerland:  Alps, kphoger, AlexandriaVA
Thailand:  froggie, kurumi
Trinidad and Tobago:  formulanone
United Arab Emirates:  froggie
United Kingdom:  Several forum members
United States:  Most of us
Uruguay:  froggie
Vatican City:  kurumi, froggie, AlexandriaVA

I've also been to France and Italy, but there have been a bunch of us who have been to both countries.

I think we should also list those forum members who have never been to the USA. Chris and myself come to mind.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

elsmere241

TheHighwayMan3561

USA
Canada
Mexico
Bahamas
Barbados
St. Lucia
Antigua and Barbuda
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

cpzilliacus

US, Canada, Mexico, UK,  Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Germany and Netherlands.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

empirestate

Adding myself to the list (new countries in bold):

Albania:  corco
Andorra:  CNGL-Leudimin
Argentina:  froggie
Aruba:  froggie
Australia:  national highway 1, froggie
Austria:  webfil, kphoger, AlexandriaVA
Bahamas:  froggie, epzik8, empirestate
Bahrain:  froggie
Barbados: empirestate
Belgium:  kurumi, kphoger, MisterSG1
Belize:  Brandon, epzik8
Bosnia and Herzegovina:  corco
Brazil:  New to Seattle, froggie
Bulgaria:  corco
Canada:  Several forum members
Cayman Islands:  Brandon
Chile:  froggie
China (PRC)::  corco, froggie (technically), empirestate
China (ROC, better known as Taiwan): AlexandriaVA, SignGeek101
China (Hong Kong): empirestate
Colombia: empirestate
Costa Rica:  doorknob60
Croatia:  Truvelo
Cuba:  froggie
Czech Republic:  Alps, kphoger
Denmark: 1995hoo
Djibouti:  froggie
Dominican Republic:  jeffandnicole
Ecuador:  froggie
Estonia: 1995hoo
Ethiopia:  froggie
Finland: 1995hoo
France:  several forum members
Germany:  several forum members
Greece:  froggie, corco
Guatemala: Us 81
Haiti:  jeffandnicole, (technically) oscar
Honduras:  Brandon
Hungary:  Truvelo
Iceland:  froggie, Alps, Dougkerr, Duke87
India:  kurumi
Indonesia:  gibranalnn, SignGeek101
Ireland:  Truvelo, (really technically) oscar, empirestate
Israel:  Alps
Italy:  several forum members
Japan:  froggie, kurumi, SignGeek101, empirestate
Jordan:  Alps
Kenya:  froggie
Korea, South: empirestate
Liechtenstein:  kphoger
Luxembourg:  Truvelo
Maceonia:  corco
Malaysia:  froggie
Mauritius:  froggie
Mexico:  Several forum members
Monaco: empirestate
Montenegro:  corco
Nepal:  berberry
The Netherlands:  Chris, froggie, kphoger
Norway:  froggie, Alps
Panama:  froggie, empirestate (?) (onboard a vessel in inland waters)
Peru: AsphaltPlanet
Philippines:  wishfulanthony, froggie
Poland:  froggie, Alps, kphoger
Portugal:  CNGL-Leudimin, froggie
Romania:  corco
Russia: 1995hoo, rothman, empirestate
St. Kitts and Nevis: empirestate
St. Lucia:  froggie, empirestate
St. Vincent and the Grenadines: empirestate
Serbia:  corco
Seychelles:  froggie
Singapore:  froggie
Slovakia:  Truvelo
Slovenia:  webfil
Spain:  several forum members
Sweden:  froggie, Alps, 1995hoo
Switzerland:  Alps, kphoger, AlexandriaVA
Thailand:  froggie, kurumi
Trinidad and Tobago:  formulanone, empirestate
United Arab Emirates:  froggie
United Kingdom:  Several forum members
United States:  Most of us
Uruguay:  froggie
Vatican City:  kurumi, froggie, AlexandriaVA

And how are we handling dependent territories? I've been to the following dependencies of the Netherlands, but not the "mother" country:
Aruba
Netherlands Antilles (at the time; now Curaçao and Sint Maarten)

And the following dependencies, as well as their homelands:
British Virgin Islands (UK)
Isle of Man (UK)
Saint-Martin (then part of Guadeloupe, an overseas department of France)

AlexandriaVA

Hong Kong has been part of PR China since the British handover in 1997. It is a special administrative region with a different legal system, but is as much part of PR China as Beijing is.

empirestate

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on November 17, 2016, 09:05:33 AM
Hong Kong has been part of PR China since the British handover in 1997. It is a special administrative region with a different legal system, but is as much part of PR China as Beijing is.

That's correct. However, because of its special status many sources list it separately from, or in addition to, the mainland. So I've added that option, to be dealt with as appropriate (perhaps it's best thought of as a dependent territory).

bassoon1986

The ones I've been to are:
US
Mexico
Cayman Islands (UK)
Jamaica
Honduras
Nicaragua
Brazil
Argentina

inkyatari

I've been to all the lower 48 and British Columbia and Ontario.

I have seen the Mexican border.

And got threatened by a border patrol agent because I was supposedly not supposed to take pictures of it.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jeffandnicole

english si

France
Germany
Indonesia
Ireland
Italy
Malta
Spain
Thailand
UK
USA

Truvelo

Quote from: inkyatari on November 17, 2016, 03:33:33 PM
I have seen the Mexican border.

And got threatened by a border patrol agent because I was supposedly not supposed to take pictures of it.
I wonder if anyone on here has been to the border with North Korea and tried to take photos :ded:
Speed limits limit life

Duke87

Quote from: empirestate on November 16, 2016, 11:55:58 PM
And how are we handling dependent territories? I've been to the following dependencies of the Netherlands, but not the "mother" country:
Aruba

I would say you have been to the Netherlands. A dependent territory of a country is still a part of it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

oscar

Quote from: Duke87 on November 18, 2016, 11:00:50 PM
Aruba

I would say you have been to the Netherlands. A dependent territory of a country is still a part of it.

FWIW, my claim upthread to have visited France is based solely on a visit to the French overseas department of Guadeloupe.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

empirestate

Aruba

That could depend on the type of territory, though. In this case, the Netherlands Antilles were (and its component now are) a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, so you'd be quite apt in saying that they are part of the nation.

But in the U.S., for example, we distinguish between incorporated and unincorporated territories. The former comprise all the states, D.C., and for some reason Palmyra Atoll. (The reason is that Hawaii, like the other pre-statehood territories, was also an incorporated territory, and it included Palmyra Atoll. But the atoll was not retained by the state of Hawaii, nor was it ever disincorporated from the U.S.) All the other U.S. possessions are unincorporated, which essentially means they belong to the U.S. but are not "part of" it. And for whatever reason, if you'd been to Puerto Rico, you might let technicalities slide and say you'd been to the U.S., but you might not have the same inclination for American Samoa.

kphoger

Quote from: empirestate on November 19, 2016, 12:47:33 AM
Aruba

That could depend on the type of territory, though. In this case, the Netherlands Antilles were (and its component now are) a constituent country of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, so you'd be quite apt in saying that they are part of the nation.

But in the U.S., for example, we distinguish between incorporated and unincorporated territories. The former comprise all the states, D.C., and for some reason Palmyra Atoll. (The reason is that Hawaii, like the other pre-statehood territories, was also an incorporated territory, and it included Palmyra Atoll. But the atoll was not retained by the state of Hawaii, nor was it ever disincorporated from the U.S.) All the other U.S. possessions are unincorporated, which essentially means they belong to the U.S. but are not "part of" it. And for whatever reason, if you'd been to Puerto Rico, you might let technicalities slide and say you'd been to the U.S., but you might not have the same inclination for American Samoa.

CGP Grey to the rescue, making everything simple and easy as always.
You will now develop a deep love for Venn diagrams.

The Netherlands:

The UK:

The USA:

And, for good measure, the EU (including France specifically):
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

I would have the same inclination for American Samoa simply because there is no logical alternative. American Samoa is not an independent sovereign nation, so it therefore it must be considered a part of the nation it is dependent upon.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Quote from: Duke87 on November 20, 2016, 01:21:13 AM

I would have the same inclination for American Samoa simply because there is no logical alternative. American Samoa is not an independent sovereign nation, so it therefore it must be considered a part of the nation it is dependent upon.

Well, right, unless we decide we're counting non-constituent dependencies separately. (Or all dependencies, for that matter.)

Dougtone

My list:

United States of America --- born here
Canada --- visited many times

Iceland
Ireland
United Kingdom
France
The Netherlands
Germany
Switzerland
Liechtenstein
Austria
Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Estonia
Russia

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on November 20, 2016, 01:21:13 AM

American Samoa is weird because of the fact that American Samoans are not US citizens (in fact, they are citizens of no country, unless their parents are or they naturalize) but instead US nationals.  American Samoa also has its own customs/immigration and many laws in conflict with federal law (such as a communal land structure and banning non-Samoans from owning property in many areas), and I read that a passport is required if you want to visit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

US 41

Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

elsmere241

I think I've mentioned this before, but I've been to San Marino (as well as Canada and Italy).

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.