News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How to celebrate Christmas like the grandparents did over 50 years ago

Started by ZLoth, December 10, 2016, 05:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

What I find most interesting is how many of our Christmas "customs" stem from the time when we were predominantly settled in the Northeast and Upper Midwest. The fact that we associate snow with Christmas is a testament to this. As our population drifts south and westward, I imagine that a "white Christmas" won't be very relatable to the average person.

NE2

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 23, 2016, 09:21:10 PM
As our population drifts south and westward, I imagine that a "white Christmas" won't be very relatable to the average person.
As our politics become more openly racist, I imagine that a "white Christmas" will have a very different meaning.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Takumi

What I find most interesting is how many of our Christmas "customs" stem from the time when we were predominantly settled in the Northeast and Upper Midwest. The fact that we associate snow with Christmas is a testament to this. As our population drifts south and westward, I imagine that a "white Christmas" won't be very relatable to the average person.
In a car group I'm part of, there's a guy from Australia who now lives in Denver. I asked him what Christmas was like in Australia, and he said despite the hot weather (and BBQ) they still sing Christmas carols like White Christmas. He also said his American wife actually laughed out loud at the sight of that.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Takumi on December 23, 2016, 11:15:22 PM
In a car group I'm part of, there's a guy from Australia who now lives in Denver. I asked him what Christmas was like in Australia, and he said despite the hot weather (and BBQ) they still sing Christmas carols like White Christmas. He also said his American wife actually laughed out loud at the sight of that.

I find it incredibly interesting that the American perception of Christmas is so centered around snow.

Just look at this map:

The possibility of a snow filled Christmas seems concentrated in the Northeast and Upper Midwest, which makes sense given the historical settlement patterns in the US.

Max Rockatansky

Personally I could care less if it snows or not.  Where I'm at nowadays snow is less than 2 hours away if you really want that sort of thing.  My Grand Parents and....well me when I was a kid would have been celebrating in a malaise of weather that was brought on by the Great Lakes in December.  I like snow....I like winter....but now that I lived away from them for so long it is nice to visit and just go home.

Besides Festivus is better....no real gifts are given and you can tell people everything they've done to disappoint you in the past year.

epzik8

Crank up the LP record of Bing Crosby's Merry Christmas featuring the lovely Andrews Sisters on some songs.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Otto Yamamoto

I'll engage in the time-honoured tradition of Chinese at Christmas. No snow, though.

XT1254

kphoger

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 23, 2016, 11:23:45 PM

I was looking at this map yesterday.  My sister and her husband were in town, down from Des Moines.  From Des Moines to Wichita, it's an easy six-hour drive through the plains of the Midwest yet, according to the map, the chance of a white Christmas decreases from approx. 50% to 20%.  To me, that's a pretty big drop for what seems like an in-region drive.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SP Cook

I find it incredibly interesting that the American perception of Christmas is so centered around snow.

This is from the movies more than anything.  Even in the most snowy parts of the country, it is really very early to have snow.  After all, it is only the 3rd day of winter.

Someone needs to remind the editors that 50 years ago was 1966, not 1946.

Every picture in the article looks pre-WWII.   Most of the memories also seem to be a generation before the mid-60s.  Christmas, in terms of how it was celebrated and what kinds of toys were popular is about the same now as then.  The mass produced plastic toy was certainly the norm then.

Otto Yamamoto

I got a plastic machine gun that turned into a movie camera, and lots of toy cars.

XT1254

vdeane

Quote from: SP Cook on December 26, 2016, 01:22:31 PM
This is from the movies more than anything.  Even in the most snowy parts of the country, it is really very early to have snow.  After all, it is only the 3rd day of winter.
Snow is not uncommon in upstate NY as early as November.  It's a white Christmas more often than not, at least in Rochester.  Thanksgiving snow isn't terribly rare either, though I wouldn't call it the norm.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Yeah, even though Seattle in the city doesn't get snow every year, the chance of getting some seems about even from late November to mid-February.  Most of our fiercest storms are late November or mid January, with December getting milder storms.

The Nature Boy

I wonder if our association of snow with Christmas will change in the coming years. Our population is after all increasingly migrating towards the Sun Belt and the West. I personally doubt it since it's so ingrained into our culture. I've seen born and bred Southerners (for whom a "white Christmas" is a distant possibility) playing "White Christmas" and "Jingle Bells."

jwolfer

Quote from: The Nature Boy on December 27, 2016, 04:21:46 PM
I wonder if our association of snow with Christmas will change in the coming years. Our population is after all increasingly migrating towards the Sun Belt and the West. I personally doubt it since it's so ingrained into our culture. I've seen born and bred Southerners (for whom a "white Christmas" is a distant possibility) playing "White Christmas" and "Jingle Bells."
Australians listen to same Christmas songs like "White Christmas" and "In the Bleak Midwinter" when its a summer holiday..

For any Australians are there Christmas songs about the beach etc popular there?
_------------     

I live in Florida and people who have lived here their whole life will say "its so warm it doesnt feel like Christmas"... Well being warm is more likely than cold.. Here in north Florida the coldest time is late January
LGMS428

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on December 28, 2016, 12:58:14 AM
Australians listen to same Christmas songs like "White Christmas" and "In the Bleak Midwinter" when its a summer holiday..

For any Australians are there Christmas songs about the beach etc popular there?
_------------     

I live in Florida and people who have lived here their whole life will say "its so warm it doesnt feel like Christmas"... Well being warm is more likely than cold.. Here in north Florida the coldest time is late January
LGMS428

Wasn't it back in 2009 or 2010 where it actually snowed a little bit in the northern part of the state?  I might be off on the year but I do recall getting snow north of Tampa some time between Christmas and New Years Eve.  Fun fact, there is a record of snowfall even in Miami.  The only place in the continental United States where it has never froze or snowed would be the Florida Keys.

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 28, 2016, 08:52:29 AM

_------------     

LGMS428

Wasn't it back in 2009 or 2010 where it actually snowed a little bit in the northern part of the state?  I might be off on the year but I do recall getting snow north of Tampa some time between Christmas and New Years Eve.  Fun fact, there is a record of snowfall even in Miami.  The only place in the continental United States where it has never froze or snowed would be the Florida Keys.
There were flurries in Jacksonville... 12/23/1989 was the last accumulation of snow here in Jax. 1-2" shut down the city.

LGMS428

GCrites

LGMS428

There are few songs about American Football that aren't sung by the players or made specifically for football itself (such as "Are You Ready for Some Football").

Oddly the majority of songs about American Football originate in Italy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-3nMT5eHRM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfpsiaJ_xuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBSprAMHW_s

Henry

I think that it's better for radio stations that play Christmas music to return to their normal playlists on December 26 at midnight instead of going on for a few more days. Ditto for having decorations and lights up: my parents took them down the next day when I was growing up, and I do the same thing now.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GaryV

Quote from: Henry on December 29, 2016, 12:13:31 AM
I think that it's better for radio stations that play Christmas music to return to their normal playlists on December 26 at midnight instead of going on for a few more days. Ditto for having decorations and lights up: my parents took them down the next day when I was growing up, and I do the same thing now.

Bah humbug.   ;-)

Didn't you ever hear of the 12 days of Christmas?  Christmas ends on Epiphany, Jan 6.

english si

For Christmas to turn from pumpkin pie to pumpkin at midnight, to go cold turkey rather than serve cold turkey, is just overkill scrooge.

Now, sure, the US doesn't have the Boxing Day/St Stephens' Day Public Holiday that Britain, Canada and Ireland (and others?) have either, and starts Christmas earlier by having the starting gun being Thanksgiving. But there's 12 days of Christmas: which begin on the 25th, and just 6 days of interlude between Christmas Day and New Years Eve, so a gradual transition (first to go is the music, then the food as you run out of leftovers, and finally the decorations) from one festival to the next is sensible. I've never spent New Years without a Christmas tree in the building - even the year I was in California, even the year I was in a hall and someone had obviously put one up in there just because.

Tonight, on British TV, sees an End of Year Special, followed by a Christmas Special spin off of the same programme. And Brits don't bat an eyelid. Oh, and there's two Christmas Specials preceeding that End of Year Special.

Scott5114

My job mercifully killed the Christmas music about 7-8pm on December 25. After nine hours of listening to it non-stop on the 24th, plus the five hours on Christmas Day, it was really nice hearing something else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Takumi

My work radio fortunately never does non-stop Christmas music, but puts it every third song between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GaryV

Quote from: english si on December 29, 2016, 06:11:38 AM

Now, sure, the US ... and starts Christmas earlier by having the starting gun being Thanksgiving.

More like Halloween, even Labor Day.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on December 29, 2016, 04:26:50 PM
Quote from: english si on December 29, 2016, 06:11:38 AM

Now, sure, the US ... and starts Christmas earlier by having the starting gun being Thanksgiving.

More like Halloween, even Labor Day.

I'd say even earlier than that.  Almost all retailers are putting Christmas stuff out in late September or early October.

kkt

Quote from: GaryV on December 29, 2016, 06:01:47 AM
Quote from: Henry on December 29, 2016, 12:13:31 AM

Bah humbug.   ;-)

Didn't you ever hear of the 12 days of Christmas?  Christmas ends on Epiphany, Jan 6.

If they didn't start with the Christmas music in fucking October, maybe people wouldn't be so sick of it by December 26.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.