News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York Routes 1-2-3 challenge

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 10:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

empirestate

Feeling productive today, so I'm going to start a second photo challenge thread–but this one is specific to my home state of New York! We're going to cover all the NYS touring routes (State, US and Interstate numbered highways) in numerical order, with suffixed routes following the unsuffixed number in alphabetical order (so 17, 17A, 17B, etc.) Where there are duplicate numbers, treat Interstates as having a suffix of "I" and US routes as having a suffix of "U"; so we'll post NY 2 before US 2, and NY 90 before I-90, etc. But we'll post US 9 before any of its suffixes, since there is no duplicate; so 9, 9A, 9B and so on up to 9W.

Here's the challenge: find one photo for each route, showing the route number posted on a trailblazer or reassurance assembly. If at all possible, use only standalone shields posted on the mainline of the highway itself, and avoid overhead pull-thru or destination signs, or directional assemblies on intersecting roads. Also avoid error shields or just badly-made ones; we want to actually depict the routes accurately and attractively! :)

In each photo, include a wider view showing the route shield in context of the highway's surroundings. The aim is to find a single photo that best represents the character or spirit of the route as a whole in New York State. Include a brief comment or two giving the location and explaining what the photo shows and how it reflects the route overall. (If a route has several very distinct sections, you may include one or two "bonus" photos following the guidelines above from some of those other stretches, but select one to serve as the main photo, as if we were choosing a "cover photo" for the route as a whole.)

The game advances with each entry for a route. It's helpful if you put a reminder with your entry as to the next route that's up, because of all our suffixes. (For a list, see Wikipedia or www.newyorkroutes.net.) If you feel you have an entry that better depicts a previous route, you're welcome to submit it as the game progresses, but we'll keep moving through the numbers regardless. Google Street View is allowed; in fact, it might be our best tool, as we can carefully frame the surroundings for each image. It's probably a good idea if we include a screen shot along with the GSV link, because you can't be sure the view won't change!

So to start us off; here's US 1:

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/bmsNQqDHHG32

This is facing northbound in New Rochelle. Much of US 1, following the old Boston Post Road, passes through the cities and villages along the Sound shore of Westchester County, often as the main road (or indeed, Main Street). New Rochelle is the largest of these. The route is typically a busy, multi-lane local street, passing a variety of commercial establishments, and is a much slower alternate to the parallel I-95 (the New England Thruway).

Next up is NY 2 (and US 2 is on deck).

dgolub

Here's another US 1 photo without the Google Street View chrome around it.  Southbound just before the traffic light at NY 120:

empirestate

Here's a shot for NY 2:

GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/hWcygJWvD2K2

This is looking east in Petersburg, just before crossing over NY 22. Running east from Latham and Troy, NY 2 crosses Rensselaer County and heads up into the Taconic Range, seen here in the background, where it connects with the Mohawk Trail (MA 2) and continues on toward Boston.

Next up will be US 2, followed by NY 3.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.