News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Low Bridges That Cross Major Rivers, Creeks, Tributaries

Started by ColossalBlocks, January 15, 2017, 06:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

Does anyone know of any bridges that sit low over water?
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

epzik8

The Conowingo Dam over the Susquehanna River along U.S. Route 1 between Darlington and Conowingo, Maryland, although I'm not sure if that's a bridge by the strictest definition.

The bridge portions of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel are pretty low. So are segments of the Nice Bridge carrying U.S. Route 301 over the Potomac River between Virginia and Maryland.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Mapmikey

OP is probably thinking more along the lines of this bridge connecting two Virginia prisons across the James River a little west of Richmond:

Another example over the Shenandoah River (being replaced).  This 1925 structure was part of VA 12 for a few years up to 1942:

https://goo.gl/maps/zf2UdcKZ6ZD2

michravera

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on January 15, 2017, 06:18:49 PM
Does anyone know of any bridges that sit low over water?

How low do you want to go? In California, we have tidal-level ferries on State Highways (CASR-222?) that take cars less than a meter above the water level.
I am unaware that the California State Highway system has any floating bridges, but the southern bridges across the San Francisco bay (CASR-84 and -92) have causeway sections that are just high enough to keep safely above high tide and a decent swell. A high gusty windy storm (uncommon because it would have to do some things that wind storms don't often do) will cause splash up and close some of the lanes. The same happens on the Yolo Causeway on I-80.

Build up high (so that ocean-going vessels can get underneath) and deal with high wind warnings. Build down low and deal with splash up.

In my experience, the bridges across major rivers that don't have ocean-going vessels are built high enough so as to get just above the levees.

jwolfer

If a river is navigable in any significant way the Coast Guard has a say in bridge height

LGMS428

Brandon

Quote from: jwolfer on January 17, 2017, 12:44:52 AM
If a river is navigable in any significant way the Coast Guard has a say in bridge height

As does the Army Corps of Engineers (maybe even more so than the Coast Guard).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.