News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What a year in sports championships

Started by Buck87, February 05, 2017, 11:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Over the past year we have seen...

- Buzzer beating 3 to win the NCAA Men's basketball tournament
- Recently tier 2 team coming out of nowhere to win the EPL title
- NBA Finals Game 7 that went down to the wire to end a 52 year city wide major pro league championship drought
- Extra innings in Game 7 of the World Series to end a 108 year WS title drought
- MLS Cup decided by penalties to deliver first title to a famously passionate fan base
- College Football National Championship game winning TD with 1 second remaining on the clock
- Classic matchups between aging all-time tennis players in both the Men's and Women's Australian Open singles finals
- First overtime and biggest comeback win in Super Bowl history, to break QB and coaching records for SB wins

jeffandnicole

I agree with the first 5. Point 6 isn't bad. Point 7 & 8 would be better if it didn't involve dynasty winners.

nexus73

Yup, it was a fantastic year for sports!  We had some of that rub off locally as my former high school won their first state title in football.  Like the Cubs, they had waited since 1908 for that to happen!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Henry

All I can say is, wow! But my favorite one of these remains the Cubs winning the World Series for the first time in 108 years.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

Let's add the Ottawa Reblacks who won the 2016 Grey Cup championship ending a 40 year drought for the CFL in Ottawa and the Sharks going to the Stanley cup final for the 1st time but they lose against Pittsburgh.

AsphaltPlanet

It was a great year for sports.

I think the highlight for me was the World Series.  Just having the Chicago Cubs win would have been enough of a story.  The fact that it went to such an epic game 7 was icing on the cake.

The Super Bowl was great, and although most people wouldn't watch this, the Grey Cup in the CFL was fantastic this year too.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Buck87

In the lower divisions on NCAA football:

For the first time since 2004, a school not named Mount Union or Wisconsin-Whitewater won the DIII National Championship (Mary Hardin-Baylor)

For the first time since 2010, a school not named North Dakota State win the D1-FCS National Championship (James Madison)

dvferyance

Waht year are you referring to? Most of what you said happened in 2016 but the super bowl you mentioned was in 2017.

slorydn1

Quote from: dvferyance on February 08, 2017, 03:36:09 PM
Waht year are you referring to? Most of what you said happened in 2016 but the super bowl you mentioned was in 2017.

Judging from the sports he referenced he wasn't going with a certain calendar year but a period of time that's a year in length that started at the beginning of April with the NCAA Men's Basketball title....perfectly acceptable use of the word "year".
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Buck87

Exactly, I was just pointing out things that have happened within the past 365 days.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.