News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 67: widening from Exit 11 to 16

Started by capt.ron, February 09, 2017, 11:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt.ron

Finally listed via idrivearkansas.com.
Anyway, AHTD is starting on the "easy" part which is from exit 16 (Pulaski / Lonoke County line exit - AR 5) to exit 11 (Air force base exit).
Speed limit is 55 through the zone. According to idrivearkansas, the project should be complete by late 2017 (uh-huh!!)
I'm figuring that the portion from Exit 11 to Main St will be the last section to be widened due to it being the most difficult to do.

Road Hog

The timeline sounds like they're going to do the north part on the cheap: simply adding a lane to the existing pavement each way. There is one bridge that has to be widened, but if they get on the stick they might get it done in 11 months.

The part through Jacksonville proper will have to be a complete rebuild, frontage roads and all.

capt.ron

To be honest, the pavement from exit 11 to 16 isn't that bad. They patched and milled it down recently and it rides smooth. So adding a lane in each direction is all that is needed. In the event that they have to rip out the old concrete, at least they will have some wiggle room. The bridges over a creek just north of Exit 11 will have to be replaced though.

cjk374

It has been a little while since I have been through there....but does 440 by-pass all of that work or does it end where the work starts? I think 440 ends where it starts but can't remember.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Road Hog

440 ends south of Jacksonville (I think at MM 6 on 67). This project is north of that, so the only way to bypass it is to take 107 north, then cut across on either 89 or a couple of county roads if you know the area. I also think you can go east of J'ville into Lonoke County and pick up a road north to Cabot. Probably best just to grit your teeth and brave the construction zone.

abqtraveler

Quote from: Road Hog on February 09, 2017, 02:54:00 PM
The timeline sounds like they're going to do the north part on the cheap: simply adding a lane to the existing pavement each way. There is one bridge that has to be widened, but if they get on the stick they might get it done in 11 months.

The part through Jacksonville proper will have to be a complete rebuild, frontage roads and all.

The section from Main Street to Little Rock AFB will be the last in the hopper to go to construction because, as a complete rebuild, it will be quite expensive.  The right-of-way along that stretch is also quite narrow, so I see a lot of properties along the frontage roads may need to be taken to accommodate a wider footprint, plus the relocation of utilities that has to happen for the same reason before actual construction can begin.  Since the sections of freeway from LRAFB to Walnut Ridge are newer, does anyone think that once that last substandard section through Jacksonville is reconstructed, the US-67 freeway will be ready to be signed as I-57?
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

capt.ron

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 10, 2017, 08:34:31 AM
Quote from: Road Hog on February 09, 2017, 02:54:00 PM

The section from Main Street to Little Rock AFB will be the last in the hopper to go to construction because, as a complete rebuild, it will be quite expensive.  The right-of-way along that stretch is also quite narrow, so I see a lot of properties along the frontage roads may need to be taken to accommodate a wider footprint, plus the relocation of utilities that has to happen for the same reason before actual construction can begin.  Since the sections of freeway from LRAFB to Walnut Ridge are newer, does anyone think that once that last substandard section through Jacksonville is reconstructed, the US-67 freeway will be ready to be signed as I-57?
It's only "substandard" due to the dinky on-off ramps through Jacksonville + areas with narrow / no shoulders (but they are brief). It's all controlled access though. It's ready to be signed as I-57 or at least future I-57.
That will be one big mess when they start construction on that last section though!

sparker

Quote from: capt.ron on February 10, 2017, 02:24:55 PM
It's ready to be signed as I-57 or at least future I-57.

Was any legislation or legislative addendum ever actually passed that specified US 67 as future I-57, or does it remain speculative for the present?  My understanding was that it was going to be done at some point -- within likely the next years' authorization bill -- but I'm unaware that such has actually been finalized at this point.  If anyone can cast a bit of light on this, please do!!

capt.ron

Motorists now need to exercise caution now that the road crew have finally placed the temp. jersey barriers on the sides of the freeway. It looks like they are going to expand the road outward instead of inward.

US71

Quote from: sparker on February 10, 2017, 05:05:41 PM
Quote from: capt.ron on February 10, 2017, 02:24:55 PM
It's ready to be signed as I-57 or at least future I-57.

Was any legislation or legislative addendum ever actually passed that specified US 67 as future I-57, or does it remain speculative for the present?  My understanding was that it was going to be done at some point -- within likely the next years' authorization bill -- but I'm unaware that such has actually been finalized at this point.  If anyone can cast a bit of light on this, please do!!

John Boozman wants it, but MoDOT has said nothing.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

capt.ron

AHTD has revised the completion dates of the stretch in question. They were late 2017, now it has been revised to late 2018 (more realistic, lol)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.