News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

916 Area Code gets 279 Overlay

Started by ZLoth, February 12, 2017, 11:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 22, 2017, 11:54:49 AM
In areas of NJ that were hit hard by Hurricane Sandy & other storms, Verizon has been very reluctant to replace wiring for landlines in extremely low-populated areas.  This, of course, infuriates the older population that don't see a need for cell phones, who then call their local officials, who then yell at Verizon.  We are talking about a very small minority.  Verizon certainly doesn't want to replace expensive lines for very few people. 

I haven't followed the situation very closely, but I don't think Verizon has to provide such lines.  In reality they just need to appease these few people that are complaining, even if it's giving them a free phone.  Of course, these oldtimers don't like change so I'm sure they won't be very accepting of such an offer.

Does Verizon offer DSL internet in that area as well?  If so, then it's not just phone service that would be affected.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I should also point out that, especially pertinent to the elderly, other services like Lifeline and home security require being tied into house phone wiring.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2017, 12:46:35 PM
I should also point out that, especially pertinent to the elderly, other services like Lifeline and home security require being tied into house phone wiring.

This story mentions the issue...and many of the concerns mentioned:  http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2013/07/after_sandy_soaked_the_phone_lines_mantoloking_is_going_wireless.html

And per the story, I did state in error that the companies don't have to provide the lines...apparently they do.  But they really don't want to, and are working with the public utility commissions on that.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 22, 2017, 12:59:16 PM

This story mentions the issue...and many of the concerns mentioned:  http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2013/07/after_sandy_soaked_the_phone_lines_mantoloking_is_going_wireless.html

And per the story, I did state in error that the companies don't have to provide the lines...apparently they do.  But they really don't want to, and are working with the public utility commissions on that.

I understand where Verizon is coming from.  I work for a cable/internet/phone company, in fact, and I know full well that landline phone service is often only purchased because it's thrown in as part of a discount (at my company, that discount is usually a free installation).  The need for landline phone service is definitely much less than a couple of decades ago, and there's certainly no denying that fact.  But I find it crappy that Verizon would leave people in the lurch because they don't like the cost of replacing hurricane-damaged infrastructure in a hurricane-prone area.  Why, after all, did they enter the market in that area in the first place?
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

While some good point, story feels quite biased - well, like any other news these days.
No credit card access due to landline problems? Verizon offeres a cell adapter? OK, processing cards over the cell datalink has been an option for a while, and it is not that expensive. Someone doesn't trust COmcast?... well, that is certainly a good reason for regulations!
Apparently there are some situations where landline is a genuine concern, but working that out - as opposed to forcing providers to invest in outdated technology - seems like a better option.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

I understand where Verizon is coming from.  I work for a cable/internet/phone company, in fact, and I know full well that landline phone service is often only purchased because it's thrown in as part of a discount (at my company, that discount is usually a free installation).  The need for landline phone service is definitely much less than a couple of decades ago, and there's certainly no denying that fact.  But I find it crappy that Verizon would leave people in the lurch because they don't like the cost of replacing hurricane-damaged infrastructure in a hurricane-prone area.  Why, after all, did they enter the market in that area in the first place?

I wouldn't call NJ very hurricane-prone area... 
As for entering - that was a while ago, most likely they had service in the state and were strongarmed into providing service to each and every location... Which wasn't that bad due to revenue from easier locations which no longer bring that revenue. Besides, price of copper went up quite a bit over time, and cost of copper cables becomes a showstopper for many applications. Once again, not a big issue if the cable is already there - but replacement may cost a fortune...

jwolfer

Quote from: kalvado on March 22, 2017, 01:53:46 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 22, 2017, 01:42:41 PM

I wouldn't call NJ very hurricane-prone area... 
As for entering - that was a while ago, most likely they had service in the state and were strongarmed into providing service to each and every location... Which wasn't that bad due to revenue from easier locations which no longer bring that revenue. Besides, price of copper went up quite a bit over time, and cost of copper cables becomes a showstopper for many applications. Once again, not a big issue if the cable is already there - but replacement may cost a fortune...
Although hurricanes are not as common as places like NC or FL... Nee Jersey, especially along the coast has lots of nor'easters whixh can rival hurricanes in destruction.. And the risk for hurricanes is always there

LGMS428

Rothman

I don't think damages from Nor'easters rival hurricanes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.