News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Your favorite US Highway?

Started by ColossalBlocks, February 15, 2017, 11:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

What is your favorite US Highway? I would make this a poll like the favorite state shield poll, but i'm too damn lazy to make a poll from US Highway 1 to US Highway 830. I'll start with US Highway 412 as my favorite.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

hotdogPi

Why would you create a poll with 100+ options? The 51-option poll was excessive.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

busman_49

I've always been partial to US 30, probably because I grew up not far from it.

Quillz

kkt

Max Rockatansky

If we're talking existing then probably 191, 101, 395, 550, and maybe 163 because I really enjoy routes with tons of terrain.  If we're going to include anything that doesn't exist then it would be 66 by a mile and maybe even 99.

frankenroad

2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

cl94

1, 7, 9, 20 in the northeast. All have a large amount of historical importance and generally good scenery. The views on US 20 east of I-81 are nothing short of amazing and US 9 (or its predecessor roads) passes the homes of at least two presidents and the cottage of a third. US 1 and US 9 (the Boston and Albany Post Roads) were two of the first improved roads in the country.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

1995hoo

Only been out there one time, but that doesn't matter: 163 due to scenery.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

U.S. Route 1 because it's the closest one I live to. Second for me is U.S. 301, and third is U.S. 113.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

slorydn1

As a child I would have said US-1, but only because it's bright red shield was cool as hell down in FL.

As an adult I really don't have a favorite. I really don't have a non favorite. I mean, based on scenery alone I'd go with US-441 through the Smoky Mountain National Park or sections of US-64 or US-129 in western NC. For utility/importance to how I get around it would be US-17 or US-70 here in eastern NC.

US-41 was always high on my list growing up because it existed not only where I grew up in Chicagoland, but also 1500 miles away at my vacation spot in south FL. It seemed like no matter where I was, I'd look around and see a US-41 shield. We'd drive hundreds of miles on different Interstates and and get off for food or gas and funny enough, we'd either be on US-41 or close enough to it to see a US-41 sign.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: 1 on February 15, 2017, 11:59:42 AM
Why would you create a poll with 100+ options? The 51-option poll was excessive.

Good point...
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

texaskdog

191. You get Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on February 15, 2017, 07:37:02 PM

Not to forget the Coronado Trail and Canyon de Chelley.  I would probably rate that Coronado Trail section of US 191 as the baddest mountain segment on any US Route in the country.

TravelingBethelite

It may be because I live not too far from it, but U.S. Route 6 is pretty close to my heart.   :colorful:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Sykotyk

There's way too many factors and different opinions on what would make a road your 'favorite'.

So, here goes:

Proximity: 19, 22, 422

Childhood trips: 6

Adult Trips: 101, 163, 2, 1

I think everyone has some connection to the closest US route to them. Growing up, I didn't know that Route 19 was any different than Route 18 until one day looking at the map, then realizing one was a state route and one kept going into Florida. Which, I thought was interesting. I was very young around that time.  And 19 was only a few miles away. When I got older, I lived near US22, and rode that freeway stretch between Ohio and Pittsburgh many times. And now, US422 runs right by my house. And I've been on it I don't know how many times between Youngstown and New Castle.

Growing up, my family took many trips along US6 from Mill Creek PA (US19 & US6N) east toward Warren and sometimes further, such as Kinzua Dam and Viaduct. So, even today I think fondly of those trips, and any time I get to go that way again.

And then, when I'm an adult, I've traveled some staggeringly beautiful scenery and US101 and US163 are at the top of the list. US101 between Arcata and Los Angeles is a great drive. US163 is without question beautiful. The two times I've driven it have been something to remember for all time. And then US 1 was a trip to Key West. The stretch from the mainland through the Keys is a great, if long, drive. And US2, both sections, has proven quite scenic and enjoyable. Though, I've captured it in pieces. From I-5 to just east of I-15 in several segments. From US87 in Havre, Montana just recently all the way east to Superior, Wisconsin. Brief sections east of Superior into Michigan (taking MI-28), some other stretches of 2 between Escanaba east to Mackinac. And then, the eastern stretch from I-87 into New Hampshire.

But then there's oddball routes. US50 through Monarch Pass is beautiful, US550 is great across the Million Dollar Highway. US12 is an underated route from Miles City to Aberdeen, South Dakota. US83 in West Texas has always been a memorable route to take. US 90 through the Big Bend area of Marfa and Alpine. Several US routes through Wyoming, such as US85 between Torrington and South Dakota.

I couldn't label a favorite, overall.

RobbieL2415

US 13, Delmarva region.   I just love how much of a main artery its become in that area.

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2017, 07:53:58 PM

Not to forget the Coronado Trail and Canyon de Chelley.  I would probably rate that Coronado Trail section of US 191 as the baddest mountain segment on any US Route in the country.

where is that?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on February 15, 2017, 09:18:23 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 15, 2017, 07:53:58 PM

where is that?

Arizona; Canyon de Chelley is in the Navajo Nation and the Coronado Trail is on the high peaks of the White Mountains between US 180 to Morenci.

epzik8

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on February 15, 2017, 08:38:34 PM
US 13, Delmarva region.   I just love how much of a main artery its become in that area.
You took the words straight out of my mouth. From Dover, Delaware to Virginia Beach is just such an amazing drive.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

7/8

I'll have to go with US 19 for nostalgic reasons, since many of my road trips as a kid involved the section of US 19 between I-79 and the WV Turnpike. West Virginia was probably my favourite portion of those drives (and unlike my brothers, I really did enjoy the driving part of our holidays).

I might have added US 219 since my family often skis at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville, NY, but I just drove it last weekend down to Salamanca and the potholes in Salamanca were terrible! It could really use a repaving.

roadman65

US 1.  Then US 54 from Wichita to Tucamcari is just awesome through the Plains.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sparker

#1: US 101 (Santa Barbara coast, N CA redwoods, Oregon coast, Olympic Peninsula)
#2: US 50 (pretty much everything in CO, across NV, Tahoe)
#3: US 395 (Bishop-Carson City, plus Spokane-Canada)
#4: US 97 (just love driving through the fir forests between Chiloquin & Chemult -- also along the upper Columbia)
#5: US 89 (a cross-section of everything the West has to offer!)

sbeaver44

Tough choice, but US 22.  I've been on all of it, and it has an interesting variety.  Sometimes a city street, sometimes rural freeway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.