News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Any Runners?

Started by Max Rockatansky, February 20, 2017, 12:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hm insulators on May 11, 2017, 04:58:29 PM
I hate running.

Right now I do too...anyways, an update on my situation...  I had the MRI on Saturday before I left for Florida but I have no idea when I'll actually get the results back, no issues with having my foot angled forward for the 30 minutes it took to do the images either.  I did two 17.5 mile bike rides on an indoor cycling machine and did about 60% weight lifting with my left foot immediately after the MRI.  I haven't had a trace of pain or bursitis since Friday so I finally decided to get back to running in short bursts and did 4.5 miles when I intended 4.  No issues, no pain, and even my pace was fine...I've been hyper-analyzing every feeling in my left foot for the about the last week so I probably would have noticed a problem by now.  As it stands right now the directive I got from the doctor was to run short distances so long as I don't have pain a couple times a week.  I'll probably do another 4 mile run at the beach on US 98 on Saturday and try for two 5 milers the week after.  Really I have a whole six week recovery schedule in mind but I'm sticking with adding rowing and cycling into the mix....fun times, I rather would have been relaxing on vacation.

Max Rockatansky

Actually finally made it back to my opening weekly run distance of 13.1 miles this morning.  Really basically I was rehabbing my ankle the entirety of my trip to the Southeast by running and hiking 20 miles in 4/5 mile intervals followed by three 8 mile runs while I was in Washington.  One of the three mile runs was on some heavily graded roads that had at minimum 15% inclines which really helped boost up my confidence when my tendon didn't ache or hurt.  I did a 10 mile run when I got home on Thursday last week and felt up to the 13.1 miler this morning. 

I was a little on the slow side averaging 8:33 minute miles but really I'm just glad to be back at the appropriate distance finally after a month.  I never heard back from the doctor in regards to my MRI results which makes me think that I was right about a minor tear in the Achilles coupled with bursitis. 

I still have plans to keep up with distance rowing given that I bought a new rower.  I have a goal of 20,000 meters twice weekly in addition to runs of 13.1 and 10 miles.  After I get to that point I might consider picking up distance cycling again given that the impact is low and I'd like to diversify. 

Oddly I've been using a new pair of running shoes I was breaking in at work during this whole saga with the tendon issue.  Usually I have problems for a week or two at distance with new shoes but these seemed to take pretty well.  I'll likely switch back to my old shoes since they are basically new as well during this week.

froggie

Did my first run yesterday in over 3 years...just a mile, but it's a start.

Given that I'm woefully overweight, have other health issues (thankfully none heart-related), and haven't done much activity since I retired from the Navy, I've set a goal of training for the Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyworld next April.  My wife's BFF is running that race (and also their Princess Run in February), and both she and my wife have "egged me on" to join up and get going.  To be honest, it's not a bad idea, and I'm sure I'll drop some of this spare tire I have in the process.

To Roadgeekteen:  you may not like physical activity right now, but believe me, it would be a good idea to find something to do regularly.  The you of 30-40 years from now will thank yourself if you do so.  There is A LOT OF TRUTH to the claims that lack of physical activity leads to poor health, which leads to higher medical costs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.