News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Popular byways in your state?

Started by ColossalBlocks, March 02, 2017, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColossalBlocks

What is the most popular byways in your state?
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

epzik8

For Maryland, it would most likely be the Atlantic to Appalachians, also known as the Ocean City to Oakland route. It goes from Maryland's Lower Eastern Shore all the way out west to Garrett County, the home of the state's highest mountain peaks.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Some from California would include:

-  Ebbetts Pass Scenic Byway
-  Death Valley Scenic Byway
-  Historic Route 66
-  Route One, Big Sur Coast Highway
-  Route One, San Luis Obispo North Coast Byway
-  Tioga Road/Big Oak Flat Road
-  Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway

For reference I'm assuming the OP is referring to designated National Scenic Byways.

Rothman

New York's tricky in terms of actual, designated byways.  I'd suggest the following, though:

The Olympic Trail
High Peaks
Lakes to Locks Passage
Parts of the Seaway Trail (especially around Niagara and Thousand Islands)

Still, there are other scenic drives not covered by the official byways, though, like NY 22 through the Little Hoosick Valley or NY 2 through the Taconics or NY 23A through the Catskills...

Of course, the Taconic State Parkway is also a great scenic drive.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

In Minnesota the best known probably are:

-Great River Road
-Grand Rounds Scenic Byway in Minneapolis, which is a 31-mile loop of parkways largely around the city's lakes which unsurprisingly also features the city's most awe-inspiring real estate
-North Shore Scenic Drive (MN 61 and a few offshoots along Lake Superior)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Buck87

Ohio's would probably the Ohio River Scenic Byway and the Lake Erie Coastal Ohio Trail (which mainly follows the Lake Erie and Great Lakes circle tours)

US71

Arkansas has the Great River Road and Crowley's Ridge Byways.

Also the Boston Mountain Scenic Loop
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SD Mapman

South Dakota has the Spearfish Canyon (Northern Hills) and Peter Norbeck (Southern Hills; Mt. Rushmore) scenic byways. There's not much other scenery...
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

ET21

One of my favorites in Illinois is the US Grant scenic highway (US-20) from Freeport to Dubuque. Another would be the Stagecoach Trail, which parallels US-20 from Stockton to Galena
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

slorydn1

In NC you have the Cherohala Skyway, Nantahala Byway, Waterfall Byway, the I-26 Scenic Highway (and many others that I was not familar with) out west in the mountains. Down here on the coast we have the Outer Banks Scenic Byway (NC-12), Pamlico Scenic Byway (US-264) and many more I just found out about (I looked them up in order to make sure I was naming the ones I was familiar with correctly and stumbled across a ton more I didn't know about on NCDOT's website).  https://www.ncdot.gov/travel/scenic/
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Inyomono395

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 02, 2017, 11:56:56 AM
Some from California would include:

-  Ebbetts Pass Scenic Byway
-  Death Valley Scenic Byway
-  Historic Route 66
-  Route One, Big Sur Coast Highway
-  Route One, San Luis Obispo North Coast Byway
-  Tioga Road/Big Oak Flat Road
-  Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway

For reference I'm assuming the OP is referring to designated National Scenic Byways.

Eastern Sierra Scenic Byway

OCGuy81

US 101 along the Oregon Coast has signs labeling it as the Pacific Coast Byway.  And it's quite popular, especially in the summer!

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Rothman on March 02, 2017, 12:07:58 PM
New York's tricky in terms of actual, designated byways.  I'd suggest the following, though:

The Olympic Trail
High Peaks
Lakes to Locks Passage
Parts of the Seaway Trail (especially around Niagara and Thousand Islands)

Still, there are other scenic drives not covered by the official byways, though, like NY 22 through the Little Hoosick Valley or NY 2 through the Taconics or NY 23A through the Catskills...

Of course, the Taconic State Parkway is also a great scenic drive.
Honestly, pick any Parkway (except the Cross County because its more expressway than parkway) and its scenic.  That's half of what they were designed for to begin with.

cpzilliacus

Maryland, aside from the one mentioned above, I suggest these:

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Virginia and North Carolina together have the incomparable Blue Ridge Parkway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

oscar

For Alaska, the Seward Highway segment of AK 1, an easy trip along the north shore of Turnagain Arm and wrapping around its east end. The Parks Highway (AK 3) passing by Denali as well, once you get clear of Anchorage's outer suburb Wasilla.

For Hawaii, topping the list has to be the most curvaceous part of the Hana Highway in east Maui, including the HI 360 segment and county 31 between Hana and Kipahulu. The HI 560 part of the Kuhio Highway along Kauai's north shore would be a good second choice. I'm unsure about scenic designations, but both highways have historic designations, in large part to protect their numerous one-lane bridges. The most populous island Oahu has to settle for the HI 83 segment of the Kamehameha Highway, looping around the island's north shore and passing by (and sometimes getting stuck in traffic created by) major surf spots.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Bitmapped

For West Virginia, the Highland Scenic Highway in Monongahela National Forest.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.