News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you know of any interchanges like this?

Started by johndoe, March 07, 2017, 07:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

In the past we've talked about diamond interchanges with grade separated frontage roads:

But all the ones I've ever seen have a different structure for the frontage road.  I was wondering if you know of any where the ramps come in "outside" the frontage road, so the frontage road just abuts the freeway (using the same bridge).

So, for instance, here's half of a diamond interchange with roundabouts to combine the frontage road and ramp at the cross-street intersection:

You could make that intersection right in right out (RIRO) by taking the frontage road under the cross-street:

From there, you could add an on-ramp to the right side (ala parclo a4) or off-ramp to the left (ala parclo b4) and/or swap the directions of the frontage road between the roundabouts  :pan:  But anyway, I'm just curious if anyone has seen something along these lines.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

NE2

Quote from: lordsutch on March 07, 2017, 09:37:07 PM
Those examples don't involve roundabouts.
Neither does one of his two separate bridge examples. They're definitely "something along these lines".

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on March 07, 2017, 08:15:40 PM
Those are all over the place in Arkansas and Texas. Two examples:
http://www.google.com/maps/@35.3656797,-90.2812301,17z
http://www.historicaerials.com/location/33.119905029715675/-95.63375473022461/1964/16 (frontage roads are now one-way)

Yep, especially in rural areas of Texas.
Here is one I've personally used, in a built-up area of the San Antonio suburbs:  I-35 @ Olympia Pkwy

Quote from: NE2 on March 07, 2017, 10:51:14 PM
Quote from: lordsutch on March 07, 2017, 09:37:07 PM
Those examples don't involve roundabouts.
Neither does one of his two separate bridge examples. They're definitely "something along these lines".

Yeah, I didn't read the OP to indicate that roundabouts were essential to the definition of "interchanges like this."  The long description, in fact, is about the bridge structure rather than the intersection type.  The handmade illustrations could just easily have been drawn to include right-angle intersections.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2017, 10:32:19 AM
Here is one I've personally used, in a built-up area of the San Antonio suburbs:  I-35 @ Olympia Pkwy
I think one-way frontage roads change it into a much more normal interchange. There are certainly examples of those all over, for example: http://www.google.com/maps/@40.7132924,-73.3485558,17z

johndoe

Thanks!  Interesting examples.  From here I'll specify two-way frontage roads and buttonhook/hook ramps near the cross street.  Whether or not it's a roundabout doesn't matter to me.

kphoger

The one with two-way frontage roads that I'm familiar with in Texas has undergone reconstruction as part of the I-35 improvements.  I don't know if the frontage roads are two-way still or note, but I do know that there is no longer grade separation along the frontage roads.  I-35 @ Ross Road used to fit all criteria except for hook ramps.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: kphoger on March 09, 2017, 10:15:12 AM
The one with two-way frontage roads that I'm familiar with in Texas has undergone reconstruction as part of the I-35 improvements.  I don't know if the frontage roads are two-way still or note, but I do know that there is no longer grade separation along the frontage roads.  I-35 @ Ross Road used to fit all criteria except for hook ramps.
That reconstruction surprises me a bit, since the secondary-road overpass (Ross Road) over the interstate was changed into an underpass. I'd have thought it would be cheaper to rebuild an old overpass with the same or similar embankments and so on than to build two new ones. How common are things like that in this reconstruction?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

PColumbus73

Just from observations from GSV, California seems to do that a lot, tying an exit ramp to a parallel surface street. Especially around Los Angeles and the Bay Area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.