News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 40 realignment at Lawrence (part 2)

Started by route56, March 14, 2017, 11:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

Rather than seeking a thread exhumation... we'll start over

Back in 2013, the City of Lawrence agreed to accept eventual KDOT turnback of West 6th Street* as a City Connecting Link. KDOT subsequently applied for and received AASHTO approval to move US 40 from West 6th to a new route following the west Leg of the South Lawrence Trafficway (K-10) and Iowa Street (US 59).

Although KDOT had the go-ahead to make the move, there had been no concrete indication that the change was pending... until now.

Yesterday, I was on McDonald Drive (the access road between Iowa and the Kansas Turnpike). References to using Rockledge Road to access westbound US 40 were removed, a junction assembly for US 40 and US 59 was installed South of the Rocklege intersection, New guide signs were installed just ahead of the tunnel taking southbound McDonald Drive under 6th. Under the left hand pole, it indicated "West/40/South/59/straight" on the left pole and "East/40/North/59/exit right" on the second. In addition, the reassurance marker on Iowa just south of 6th also included US 40.

There were no US 40 markers at 23rd and Iowa; however. I did not check the US 59/SLT interchange, nor did I travel on the SLT.

I suspect that Lawrence will accept both West 6th and 23rd from KDOT at the same time.

*For purposes of this thread, "West 6th" refers to 6th Street west of Iowa Street, "East 6th" east of Iowa.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

route56

I did check the SLT today. US 40 is fully signed on the SLT, as well as at the Bob Billings Parkway and Clinton Parkway interchanges.

At Iowa, KDOT did add markers indicating that US 40 eastbound exits the SLT; however, there is no signage on Iowa that indicates that US 40 turns north (left) from the eastbound K-10 off-ramp, nor is there any indication that US 40 turns right (west) onto the westbound K-10 on-ramp from southbound Iowa.

R.P.K.

route56

Photos taken 3/16/17:

55433 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
New Junction Banner on southbound McDonald Drive approaching 6th and Iowa.

55435 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
New assembly for US 40/US 59 showing new route of US 40 (I stand corrected, it's a single wood pole assembly :) )

55439 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
New assembly for the McDonald Drive split - it still needs the KTA shield.

55443 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
First reassurance marker on southbound Iowa.

R.P.K.

route56

More photos taken 3/16/17:

55449 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Intersection of US 59 with K-10 westbound on-ramp. There is no mention of US 40 here.

55455 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Reassurance marker on the SLT westbound just past Clinton Parkway.

55456 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Junction assembly on westbound 6th approaching the SLT.

55457 by Richie Kennedy, on Flickr
Sine Salad at the intersection of 6th Street with the westbound K-10 ramps.

R.P.K.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.