Iím planning a weeklong roadtrip in mid-April from northern metro Detroit to Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Iím picking a route based on what looks like good sign photo opportunities, a good drive as shown on the AAA paper map, and a few corridors featured in my 1985 edition of the Readerís Digest Most Scenic Drives in America. I havenít figured out how to plot a meandering course in Google Maps and I donít have the entire route defined anyway, so Iíll describe it here.
Bennington VT is the start proper of my tri-state loop, so Iím looking to get there on a fast route in one day Ė mostly if not entirely freeways where available. From home, the best route would be northeast to Port Huron, cut across Ontario to Niagara Falls, and I-190 south to Buffalo. According to Google Maps, this would save me about 75 minutes and 93 miles vs. going south to Toledo and looping around the south side of Lake Erie. Of course, the big unknown is the delay at the two border crossings. These will be mid-morning and mid-afternoon on a non-tourist-season Saturday; what Iíve been able to find online suggests there should be little delay at the Blue Water Bridge and the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, so Iíll probably opt for that route. From Buffalo, east on the Thruway to Albany, north a bit on I-87, and east on NY-7 to the Bennington area. Iíve not been on the Thruway in at least 25 years so that will be an interesting revisit. Some posts here have suggested avoiding NY-7 like the plague, but Iím hoping it wonít be very congested on a late Saturday afternoon. (Might I be better off by detouring from NY-7 south on I-787, east on NY-2 to NY-22, then north back to NY-7?)
(1) VT-9 east to VT-100 (actually, Iíll likely detour south on VT-8 to pick up VT-100 farther south).
(2) VT-100 north the length of the state to its terminus near Newport. Maybe some detours and side loops depending on what catches our fancy. Iím not driving and backtracking the southernmost dozen miles of VT-100 running concurrent with VT-8, so ruining a potential clinch is not an issue.
(3) VT-105 east into NH and North Stratford, US-3 north to Colebrook, NH-26 east to Errol, NH-16 north into ME.
(4) ME-16 to ME-27 near the Bigelow Preserve, continuing east on ME-16 and ME-6 to Lagrange and then I-95 near Howland
(5) I-95 north to exit 244 or exit 259, picking up US-2 and US-2A into Houlton. I want photos of the US-1/US-2 concurrency and the eastern terminus of US-2. Google Maps shows a posted END I-95 assembly of which I would like a photo, but Iím not going to want to mess with Customs to get it.
(6) US-1 south at least to Rockport (east of Augusta), maybe farther depending on traffic and the views. Probably will stop to spend a good chunk of time on Mt. Desert Island and walking a few trails in Acadia National Park.
(7) Somehow meander west to US-302 at Fryeburg, just before the NH border.
(8) US-302 west through the White Mountain National Forest to Woodsville, NH-10 south to Hanover.
(9) Make my way west to US-4 and continue west into NY state.
(10) From there itís either a return to Albany and following the same freeway route back home, or possibly first taking NY-28 through Adirondack Park and then picking up the Thruway near Utica (depending on availability of time and Mrs. wandererís patience).
Any comments on routes, photo ops (especially sine salads) and tourist stops are appreciated!