News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Construction Projects in Your Area

Started by roadgeek01, May 01, 2017, 12:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadgeek01

What kind of road construction projects are going on in your area?

I'll give some examples, even though they happened a little while ago.

• PA 441 bypass around Columbia to direct truck traffic away from downtown
  • Replacement of a bridge apart of PA 441 across Chiques Creek
  • Sidewalk addition and repaving along Waterford Avenue in Marietta
pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

sbeaver44

In addition to PA's seemingly 9 million bridge projects, 81 between 83 (Exit 70) and Exit 72, and the Turnpike from Exit 242 to the Susquehanna River Bridge.

Nexus 6P

bzakharin

Where I live: The NJ 42 / I-76 / I-295 interchange project has already stopped most of the weaving required to navigate the area and will eventually provide a straight 3-lane I-295 through the area. For now, though, it is generating even worse traffic backups than existed before the start of construction.

Where I work: The Garden State Parkway widening and interchange improvement project has already provided a separate exit to CR 608 (Signed TO US 40/322) from the Atlantic City Expressway Eastbound without briefly merging with the GSP, which caused dangerous weaving in the past. It will eventually widen the Parkway to 3 lanes and provide a badly needed acceleration lane from Southbound Exit 36 onto Tilton Rd, which will ease backups on that exit. For now it's doing the opposite by intermittently closing  one of the two thru lanes on Tilton Rd.

More locally, the CR 662 (Mill Rd)/CR 651 (Fire Rd) intersection was recently completely redone, with added thru lanes and separate phases for right and left turns on 651, and right turn ramps (and permissive left-turn arrows) from 662 East to 651 South and 662 West to 651 North. This helps ease congestion somewhat, but the number of lanes on the roadways themselves away from the intersection has not changed, so intermittent delays remain.

epzik8

The I-95/695 interchange in Rosedale, Maryland is being worked on.

There's also a project going on along Route 22 in Aberdeen, Maryland including the addition of sound barriers.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

freebrickproductions

The widening of Memorial Parkway (US 231) from Whitesburg Drive to Golf Road here in Huntsville, along with connecting the two limited access portions of the highway along there.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

dgolub

Here in the New York area, we have three major bridges that are currently being replaced with new cable-stayed bridges:
* Tappan Zee Bridge (I-87/I-287)
* Kosciuszko Bridge (I-278)
* Goethals Bridge (I-278)

There's also work being done to raise the Bayonne Bridge (NY 440/NJ 440) and to install cashless tolling at all the bridges and tunnels under the jurisdiction of the MTA.

hotdogPi

I-93, exit 46 in Methuen, MA. It was previously a rotary (what most of the country calls a traffic circle/roundabout), but they are converting it into a standard interchange. It is mostly complete, but there is still some work to be done.

I-495 (MA) sign replacement from exits 39-47 or possibly more (that range is where I've been recently).

I-93 widening from Exit 1 to Exit 5 in New Hampshire.
Clinched

Traveled, plus 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

New:
I-189 clinched
US 7, VT 2A, 11, 15,  17, 73, 103, 116, 125, NH 123 traveled

Bruce

SR 99 Tunnel (Bertha): tunnel boring completed, but the construction of the interior features and approaches will drag on for a few years. The viaduct should be demolished by 2020 or so.

SR 520 Floating Bridge: New floating bridge was completed last year, and the western approach is steadily advancing to meet it. Funding for the rest of the corridor to I-5 is secured and the designs for most of the project have made it past the public review process.

I-5: Repaving of the freeway between Tukwila and Seattle is ongoing and going to slow down traffic for months.

I-90: Conversion of the reversible express lanes to light rail tracks will begin soon. The lanes are closing in June and new HOV lanes will be added to the outer roadway.

xcellntbuy

Middle Georgia is getting lots of attention these days.

Second phase of repaving of five-lane US 441/GA 24 and Business 441/GA 29 in Milledgeville, GA.

Extensive repaving of GA 49 from the Jones/Baldwin County line into Milledgeville, GA.

I am sure someone is out digging and grading along GA 24 east of Milledgeville to Sandersville, GA to "twin" the highway and make it a part of the Fall Line Freeway.

There are extensive parts of a 20-mile stretch of US 129 and 441 north of Eatonton, GA being dug up, graded, trees felled and roadways expanded up to Madison, GA, making a two- and alternating three-lane road, into four lanes.

froggie

QuoteWhat kind of road construction projects are going on in your area?

You'll often find continual answers to this in the individual state (and regional) threads.  For example, in the Minnesota Notes thread, I recently updated lists of both ongoing and new construction on major bridge and interchange projects.

bzakharin

I should mention that in addition to the I-295 project I already mentioned, there is *always* a portion of that route that is under construction. Currently this includes areas near exits 12, 25, 32, 36, and 67 (not necessarily all active 24/7, but still)

WhitePoleRD

I-35 south of DSM to US 34 is getting a major overhaul. They've been working on it for close to 4 years now.
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

roadgeek01

There is more repaving and sidewalk adding and glorious crap going on in Marietta.  Driving through there was a chore, they made traffic go the other way on a one way street, and block off said street at a tiny alleyway, even though there was a wider road just down the street.   The kicker? A school bus was in front of me, and go down that alleyway.  Completely dangerous. 

pork bork my hork

idk what it means either

inkyatari

Widening IL 47 at Morris, IL, from I-80 north to Caton Farm Road,
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on May 09, 2017, 02:19:14 PM

Yeah, that's gonna be lovely.  A four-lane divided IL-47 that suddenly drops to two-lanes between Caton Farm and just north of IL-71.  Typical IDOT not to complete it all the way in one shot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on May 09, 2017, 02:21:17 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on May 09, 2017, 02:19:14 PM

Yeah, that's gonna be lovely.  A four-lane divided IL-47 that suddenly drops to two-lanes between Caton Farm and just north of IL-71.  Typical IDOT not to complete it all the way in one shot.

Be fair, they have no money.

Be unfair, they should have done this decades ago when they had money.

hm insulators

I-10 a bit west of downtown Phoenix at 59th Avenue, they are building the interchange to tie into the newest segment of Loop 202, which is under construction.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on May 02, 2017, 10:30:12 PM
There's also a project going on along Route 22 in Aberdeen, Maryland including the addition of sound barriers.

Following up on this post, I read in the local paper yesterday that this project is causing frustration for Aberdeen business owners. It's sort of near an interchange with I-95 and employees are saying that travelers are having trouble reaching them because it's just such a mess. Aberdeen residents are ready for the project to be finished too because they have to drive through it on a more regular basis.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Charles2

Birmingham: Bridge and overpass construction at I-65/I-20-59 in downtown, to continue through 2020 (including the replacement of the main I-20/59 overpass E of the I-65 junction); also replacing the 31st Street overpass on I-20/59 related to the same project).

Buffaboy

In Buffalo, sound barriers are going up between I-90 at NY 33 and I-90 at I-290. This also involves the extension of the NY 33 to I-90 E on ramp to I-290, so there will be eight continuous lanes between the two.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

inkyatari

I THINK they started with the Weber Rd. I-55 construction in Bolingbrook / Romeoville IL.  I'm noting a lot of utility surveying flags in the area.

They did do some grading  3 years ago, but stopped for some reason.

oscar

Quote from: froggie on May 06, 2017, 11:41:33 PM
QuoteWhat kind of road construction projects are going on in your area?

You'll often find continual answers to this in the individual state (and regional) threads.  For example, in the Minnesota Notes thread, I recently updated lists of both ongoing and new construction on major bridge and interchange projects.

Agreed. Also, why limit your question to projects "in your area"? That assumes we have, or know about, only one area. Other people are more on top of projects in the DC metro area which is my current residence, or my home state of California. So I tend to focus on other places not covered by other users. For example, the extension of HI 200 in the Hilo area, to fill a five-mile gap between HI 2000 and the massively upgraded part of HI 200 that was once was one of Hawaii's most dangerous roads but now is one of the best.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

fillup420

US 321 through Blowing Rock, NC is being widened from 2 to 4 lanes. The old 2-lane road is bumpy, dangerous, and full of trucks. They have been working on this project for nearly 10 years, and its slowly getting closer to being done.

Fun fact: The reason this project got started was due to Appalachian State University beating Michigan in football back in 2007

index

Here in North Carolina, we've got the US 74 Bypass, also known as the Monroe Bypass/Connector is currently under construction and is expected to be finished in 2018. It was met with rather fierce opposition, but went ahead anyway. It's a tolled route and is expected to relieve traffic on US 74 and spur economic growth.

Personally I'd like to see it done soon. If I remember correctly, it will be NC's second ever tollway (don't quote me on that, i'm probably wrong) and for a fact, it will be the first controlled access roadway of any sort in Union County.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

fillup420

Another NC project is the I-77 toll lanes from downtown Charlotte (mile 11) to NC 150 Mooresville (mile 36). It has been met with heavy opposition from the local communities, but the moron formor governor Pat McCrory went ahead with it anyway. The state contracted a spanish company Cintra that has shady history involving road projects in the US (Indiana Toll Road and Texas SH 130). The project is intended to reduce traffic, but in my opinion, it won't help at all. Meanwhile, I-77 has become very dangerous due to poor construction signage and awkward lane shifts with no warning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.