News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: VTGoose on May 24, 2017, 02:10:26 PM
It appears that it won't be too long (maybe, I have yet to figure out Florida highway construction) before it is possible to avoid Stark on U.S. 301. There is activity at both ends of what looks like a bypass to the west of the city.
Just when did the construction start? Because when I went through Starke in 2015, I saw no signs of construction for the bypass whatsoever.

At-grade at both ends? Ugh!

UCFKnights

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 31, 2017, 10:13:15 PM
It appears that it won't be too long (maybe, I have yet to figure out Florida highway construction) before it is possible to avoid Stark on U.S. 301. There is activity at both ends of what looks like a bypass to the west of the city.
Just when did the construction start? Because when I went through Starke in 2015, I saw no signs of construction for the bypass whatsoever.

I don't go thrugh the area too often, but I think it started this year... construction isn't supposed to be completed until late 2019

VTGoose

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 31, 2017, 10:13:15 PM

From the satellite view on Google, a lot of the grading is pretty far along. It was only this spring that the work reached both ends adjacent to U.S. 301.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

D-Dey65

Since I can't find the thread for this, I'm just going to post it in the general Florida thread;

Regarding the Hammond Boulevard interchange on I-10 replacing the Old Exit 355's; Shouldn't this be redesignated as Exit 354, or is it not at the unseen 354 mile marker?

roadman65

The Beachline West Toll Plaza is now down to three cash lanes westbound as the new Express Lane construction progresses.  In two weeks we lose an eastbound cash lane as the construction will commence further on that side.

The plaza is split having four cash lanes each on either side of ORT in the middle.  When the express lanes are completed in the middle the three general purpose ORT lanes will shift to the right, hence the closure of the far left cash lanes.  Temporarily, the left cash lanes will be exclusive Sunpass lanes until the initial work is done.

Some of us think at the plaza as employees that no one will use the temporary Sunpass lanes that the project management is making a bad choice as we do need all four lanes with the amount of tourists who use the toll road who are not hear long enough to purchase their own transponder nor wish to pay the high rate of use from the rental companies, and are totally unaware in general that toll roads do exist.  You have three ORT lanes why would somebody want to exit the roadway just to use a plaza lane to use their Sunpass?

Anyway, just to give some a progress report on the FL 528 construction from I-4 to Exit 8 that will be completed by 2019.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Jim

Quote from: roadman65 on August 12, 2017, 08:39:53 AM
The Beachline West Toll Plaza is now down to three cash lanes westbound as the new Express Lane construction progresses.  In two weeks we lose an eastbound cash lane as the construction will commence further on that side.

The plaza is split having four cash lanes each on either side of ORT in the middle.  When the express lanes are completed in the middle the three general purpose ORT lanes will shift to the right, hence the closure of the far left cash lanes.  Temporarily, the left cash lanes will be exclusive Sunpass lanes until the initial work is done.

Some of us think at the plaza as employees that no one will use the temporary Sunpass lanes that the project management is making a bad choice as we do need all four lanes with the amount of tourists who use the toll road who are not hear long enough to purchase their own transponder nor wish to pay the high rate of use from the rental companies, and are totally unaware in general that toll roads do exist.  You have three ORT lanes why would somebody want to exit the roadway just to use a plaza lane to use their Sunpass?

Anyway, just to give some a progress report on the FL 528 construction from I-4 to Exit 8 that will be completed by 2019.

I'm sure many of those tourists would be thrilled to go through that express lane if Florida could get its act together and make Sunpass interoperable with the E-ZPass transponders already mounted on their windshields.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jwolfer

Quote from: D-Dey65 on August 08, 2017, 12:14:11 PM
Since I can't find the thread for this, I'm just going to post it in the general Florida thread;

Regarding the Hammond Boulevard interchange on I-10 replacing the Old Exit 355's; Shouldn't this be redesignated as Exit 354, or is it not at the unseen 354 mile marker?
It serves the same general area and roads. I think FDOT wanted to not change too much

LGMS428

jhuntin1

Quote from: Jim on August 12, 2017, 09:32:00 AM
I'm sure many of those tourists would be thrilled to go through that express lane if Florida could get its act together and make Sunpass interoperable with the E-ZPass transponders already mounted on their windshields.
Agreed. I will give Florida credit, though, for selling mini-transponders for $5 at rest areas and other locations. Two years ago I bought one from a vending machine at the first rest area on I-75 and used my cell phone to activate it. It made the toll roads easy.

realjd

E-ZPass uses old ass technology and won't upgrade. It's on them to modernize, not us to spend big bucks on ancient receivers.

roadman65

I get people who ask me why Florida don't get EZPass, when I just want to say why don't the NE get Sunpass, now I can blame the EZPass people when these motorists ask that age old question.

However, it would be best to have all transponder companies accept everybody else's, as more would use the ORT lanes.  That and have the rental companies stop charging ridiculous fees for using their transponders.  Most people nowadays think cash is dead and whip out their cards only to be pissed off that FDOT won't accept them.   Then they I have to issue an unpaid toll notice because they don't have cash and some don't take the hint that they could get cash out of an ATM before they run into the next plaza.  I have people collect many of them claiming to send them all in at once their vacation ends even though it says in bold letters to Exit the toll road immediately.  Those 100 dollar fine signs don't even scare many either.

Sheryl Crowe

Jim

Quote from: realjd on August 12, 2017, 09:34:26 PM

E-ZPass uses old ass technology and won't upgrade. It's on them to modernize, not us to spend big bucks on ancient receivers.

I'm no expert on the situation, so I would welcome a correction from someone who knows better if anything I say here is wrong.  My understanding is that the way to make it happen is not to have Florida's toll roads add technology to read E-ZPass transponders or the E-ZPass world add technology to read SunPass transponders or insert any toll agency X in state Y in the mix, but to base it on license plates.  Many if not most electronic toll systems already read license plates.  An account holder with any toll agency would register their plate and toll account with some kind of consortium database (or maybe it would just happen, I don't know).  When they use a toll road/bridge that doesn't use their transponder's technology, the database would be checked and the account billed.  I know some Florida roads already offer the toll-by-plate option, but when I looked into it a few years ago, the fees for the occasional user were off the charts so I avoided the cashless toll roads.  It seems to me that the administrative costs to link plates to some existing E-ZPass/SunPass/etc to do such billing would be lower than sending people bills in the mail.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

roadman65

Its 75 cents at the FL 417 to FL Turnpike to do it toll by plate.  However rental agencies do contract a third party to have their cars plates all in a data base that when an unpaid toll anyplace is happening, the toll road will mail them the bill and they charge the rental company for their service to act as middleman.  Of course the rental company bills the user.

With more ORT coming to FL and most drivers now not reading and comprehending signs while relying on the GPS than curiosity to learn about orientation of roads, more are going to be paying the rental's third party without knowing it.  So FDOT, the CFX, and other toll agencies now have no reason to rid themselves of toll roads as the people ask for it out of carelessness.   The average person driving who ends up on a well marked toll road now uses state politics as a scapegoat instead of admitting that they are to read and comprehend road signs and use common sense when driving as signs are placed to be read for safety and to be informative.

Sheryl Crowe

lordsutch

Or, you know, they could just check the "Avoid Toll Roads" option in their GPS.

Avalanchez71

Why did they change the name from Bee Line to Beach Line? 

jwolfer

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on August 13, 2017, 10:39:07 PM

Why did they change the name from Bee Line to Beach Line?
To emphasize that the road goes to the beach.  I think Cocoa Beach area really wanted it so tourists ( and Orlando resident daytrippers) would go there instead of i4 up to Volusia County beaches.

Not to mention the CFX authority would rather make the toll money than have people take the free i4

LGMS428

UCFKnights

Quote from: roadman65 on August 13, 2017, 03:24:29 AM
I get people who ask me why Florida don't get EZPass, when I just want to say why don't the NE get Sunpass, now I can blame the EZPass people when these motorists ask that age old question.

However, it would be best to have all transponder companies accept everybody else's, as more would use the ORT lanes.  That and have the rental companies stop charging ridiculous fees for using their transponders.  Most people nowadays think cash is dead and whip out their cards only to be pissed off that FDOT won't accept them.   Then they I have to issue an unpaid toll notice because they don't have cash and some don't take the hint that they could get cash out of an ATM before they run into the next plaza.  I have people collect many of them claiming to send them all in at once their vacation ends even though it says in bold letters to Exit the toll road immediately.  Those 100 dollar fine signs don't even scare many either.
When I got a new car, I completely forgot to register it on my EPass account and put a sticker in it. I don't know if its because they had my address/name on file already and recognized that I did have an account, but I got an unpaid toll notice in the mail that included an EPass sticker transponder in it. And very reasonable fees (basically cash rate for tolls, plus $2.50 administrative fee if I remember right). I was quite surprised they didn't try to hit me for me. I know we have the toll violators $100 fine sign all over, but are they actually doing that? Or did I only avoid the charge as I am an EPass holder?

roadman65

NO that sign is a scare tactic and only if Florida Highway Patrol catches you avoiding a toll they do have the power of the ticket to implement that one.  If someone comes to my lane and asks me about running tolls I am to give them a number to call so they can pay it before the statement in the mail comes which only charges the administrative fees of like you said you got.

The worst that can happen to you is you can't renew your tag or license when renewal time arrives as they will hold that toll unpaid against you when that moment arrives if you leave it outstanding.

Anyway, has anyone ever contacted FDOT about the SR 39 mix up in Plant City where the new Alexander Street extension north of I-4 is signed and connected via default where it ties into Buchman Highway as SR 39 while the original route is also still signed as SR 39?  Also the preexisting segment of Alexander south of I-4 is not signed at all as SR 39. Plus from US 92 Alexander Street is signed both ways as SR 39A and at where Alexander and SR 39 meet south of downtown there is no mention of it being SR 39A at all and overhead signs just direct trucks to I-4 West to use NB Alexander Street.

I know that PennDOT did that with US 1 when the final leg of the Freeway between I-276 and the Delaware River was opened to traffic in 1987 it took until the early 90's to remove all preexisting US 1 shields along Lincoln Highway in Oxford Valley, Langhorne, and Pendell including the guide signs on I-95 as the US 1 freeway was unnumbered and the business route was signed as mainline still and the split at Neshaminy where US 1 Business exits US 1 mainline that was still having the exit for the business route signed as "US 1."  So anything is possible including the same situation over 1000 miles south.

It just amazes me that someone could order new signs to be placed on a new road and not order the removal of old signs on the old road or even wait until its official to renumber the new Alexander Street extension to a not yet relocated route alignment.   Yet they have for over two years already.  Another two more and they will tie PennDOT in Buck's County, which was also careless of PennDOT as well.

Sheryl Crowe

jwolfer

Quote from: roadman65 on August 18, 2017, 11:20:07 AM
NO that sign is a scare tactic and only if Florida Highway Patrol catches you avoiding a toll they do have the power of the ticket to implement that one.  If someone comes to my lane and asks me about running tolls I am to give them a number to call so they can pay it before the statement in the mail comes which only charges the administrative fees of like you said you got.

The worst that can happen to you is you can't renew your tag or license when renewal time arrives as they will hold that toll unpaid against you when that moment arrives if you leave it outstanding.

Anyway, has anyone ever contacted FDOT about the SR 39 mix up in Plant City where the new Alexander Street extension north of I-4 is signed and connected via default where it ties into Buchman Highway as SR 39 while the original route is also still signed as SR 39?  Also the preexisting segment of Alexander south of I-4 is not signed at all as SR 39. Plus from US 92 Alexander Street is signed both ways as SR 39A and at where Alexander and SR 39 meet south of downtown there is no mention of it being SR 39A at all and overhead signs just direct trucks to I-4 West to use NB Alexander Street.

I know that PennDOT did that with US 1 when the final leg of the Freeway between I-276 and the Delaware River was opened to traffic in 1987 it took until the early 90's to remove all preexisting US 1 shields along Lincoln Highway in Oxford Valley, Langhorne, and Pendell including the guide signs on I-95 as the US 1 freeway was unnumbered and the business route was signed as mainline still and the split at Neshaminy where US 1 Business exits US 1 mainline that was still having the exit for the business route signed as "US 1."  So anything is possible including the same situation over 1000 miles south.

It just amazes me that someone could order new signs to be placed on a new road and not order the removal of old signs on the old road or even wait until its official to renumber the new Alexander Street extension to a not yet relocated route alignment.   Yet they have for over two years already.  Another two more and they will tie PennDOT in Buck's County, which was also careless of PennDOT as well.
"Toll by plate" will be universal before too long... SR23 in Jacksonville is all sunpass toll by tag.. And new exits in Orlando are are sunpass only.

So if someone got a ticket for running a toll... The defense is " i thought it was toll by plate like on 589" or Miami Dade 

LGMS428

roadman65

I believe its going to be nationwide as even in NYC the PANYNJ has done that with the new raised deck of the Bayonne Bridge (that is according to some posts on here) and talk all along is that the GWB plaza in Fort Lee was to be one of the PANYNJ's first to go completely ORT due to its high traffic counts and constant peak hour delays (though IMO the Lincoln Tunnel should be first with NJ 495 always crawling from around 6 or 7 to about 10 AM).

However people not reading road signs anymore and using the GPS as the only way to get around like its been with us in life always, makes ORT more of the thing to do.  Agencies can make money off of the common person nowadays and with no one complaining to their representatives these days (as most people take sides of the political realm instead), it will be the law of the land.  Plus it will allow them all to jack prices at any time, especially when most do not know what they are paying as the money is silently deducted from their accounts so to speak.

Sheryl Crowe

UCFKnights

Is it standard practice to mail you a free Epass sticker if you run a bunch of tolls? Or what was it that caused me to get one when I did that? Orlando address? Name/address on registration already had a Sunpass account? Or is that for everyone? Or was I part of a test group to see if I used it or something? That was the most surprising thing of all... my mistake of running tolls led to extra convenience for me. I didn't need to go to the store and pick one up because I ran the tolls (accidentally).

roadman65

They need to crack down on those who religiously collect unpaid toll slips as they hold up traffic constantly while I need a moment to fill it out and gather info.

Plus some people nowadays don't want to carry cash and refuse to stop by the nearest ATM to fund money to their wallets, so they know toll roads do not prosecute or send cops after them and therefore abuse the program of helping people who really do accidentally not have cash on them get by until they find cash at the next exit.

Plus soon within 5 years I believe the whole state of FL will be all open road tolling, so that might not be a bad idea to introduce a Sunpass to the constant toll runners.

Sheryl Crowe

21stCenturyRoad

The widening of I-75 from Harborview Road in Port Charlotte and Sumter Blvd in North Port has been completed. As a result, I-75 is mostly 6 Lanes from Collier Blvd in Naples to the Georgia State Line, with a portion in Punta Gorda remains to be widened and will start soon. Also, FDOT is building a separate facility at the Collier County Rest Area, on the northbound(west) side.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

Alex

Quote from: 21stCenturyRoad on August 26, 2017, 10:49:52 AM
The widening of I-75 from Harborview Road in Port Charlotte and Sumter Blvd in North Port has been completed. As a result, I-75 is mostly 6 Lanes from Collier Blvd in Naples to the Georgia State Line, with a portion in Punta Gorda remains to be widened and will start soon. Also, FDOT is building a separate facility at the Collier County Rest Area, on the northbound(west) side.

Just drove through Charlotte this morning and it was good to see the six laning complete.
Work to widen I-75 north of CR 54 to CR 41 and from south of US 98 in Hernando to Florida's Tpk, except for CR 478 to south of CR 470, is not yet complete. The work north of CR 470 in Sumter only got started late last year. It involves shifting the left hand ramp for the Tpk southbound to the right and building a c/d road system north to FL 44.

roadman65

FL 528 is now only two lanes each way ORT instead of the usual three as the construction of the HOT lanes is now though the Beachline West Toll Plaza.

Instead FDOT has one dedicated SunPass where the far left manned lane was.  Also to prevent weaving, the ramp from Florida's Turnpike has a movable VMS state Sunpass Keep Right to get motorists to use that set up and has barrels to prevent weaving into the Express Sunpass from both Landstreet Road and the Turnpike.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

What do those white-on-blue "G UD" signs mean? I've seen them for 15-20 years, but never though much about them, and I only see them in Florida.

Here's an example - US 90 near Live Oak:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.