News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Have you not clinched the street you live on?

Started by jeffandnicole, May 07, 2017, 08:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitePoleRD

Let's see...

Old US 6- the "old" part I have clinched, the rest of it I have not. Though, funny story, my wife was ok with us driving up Cape Cod on our honeymoon just so I could grab the east end of US 6. We were almost late to our dinner cruise, but at least now I can say I have been to the east end of my old street! :)

Nowadays I live on old 169, and...no, I'm nowhere close to clinching. Though I have driven most of it in Iowa (all except IA 2 to MO State Line) and I've driven up to the Cities via 169. US 6 is on my road trip bucket list...US 169 not so much.
You take the high road, I'll take the low road and I'll be in Iowa before ye.

MNHighwayMan

You're not missing much, not driving the rest of US-169 north. Except for the part that hugs Lake Mille Lacs' western shore. That part is pretty sweet, scenery wise. The biggest downside to it is the frequent congestion that makes that part a kind of slow drive, depending on the day (and time of year).

The part that goes through the Iron Range (Grand Rapids to Virginia) is also pretty nice but I've only been through there once, and that was a number of years ago already (well before I was old enough to drive). The memories of my childhood may be giving it a rose-colored tint.

DTComposer

I've lived on 15 different streets - 4 before I was old enough to drive, but have clinched them since.
Of the remaining 11, I am positive of clinching 9 of them (including my current street).
Of the other two, one I am sure I have not clinched - like others above, there were several discontinuous segments I never got to.
The other one is a major street in L.A. with a discontinuity (Cahuenga Blvd.) - I think there's a two block segment at the southern end I never got to, but I can't say that with authority.

cjk374

I live on US 80. I have been to the eastern terminus on Tybee Island, GA but I haven't clinched it all...yet.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Duke87

Quote from: admtrap on May 08, 2017, 02:26:08 AM
The street i grew up on had six or seven separate discontinuous segments through the city, all with the same name, and in the same place in the street grid relative to the parallel through streets, but were never actually intended to connect to one another.

The majority of Queens residents would be in this situation as well, due to the borough's street numbering scheme being imposed on what is not at all a consistent grid. There are discontinuous segments of streets I've lived on that I have not clinched.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

sparker

Quote from: Duke87 on May 08, 2017, 07:35:16 PM
Quote from: admtrap on May 08, 2017, 02:26:08 AM
The street i grew up on had six or seven separate discontinuous segments through the city, all with the same name, and in the same place in the street grid relative to the parallel through streets, but were never actually intended to connect to one another.

The majority of Queens residents would be in this situation as well, due to the borough's street numbering scheme being imposed on what is not at all a consistent grid. There are discontinuous segments of streets I've lived on that I have not clinched.

L.A.'s San Fernando Valley features much this same concept; the only true through streets (mostly) are the arterials spaced a half-mile apart for both N-S and E-W axes.  The pattern breaks down in the NE section of the Valley, where the streets are positioned at an (about) 45-degree angle from the rest of the area, and where the grid starts impinging on the hills that surround the valley itself. 

This situation repeats itself in the area around and south of LAX, where there's a grid pattern starting at about Sepulveda Blvd. and extending east into South Central LA with repeating but discontinuous street segments maintaining a consistent trajectory.  This area accounts for the one street on which I've lived that I haven't clinched for the same reasons stated in the prior post -- had no reason nor inclination to try to locate and drive all sections of that street for a multitude of reasons.   

fillup420

I live on US 421, so no. However, I have done the first ~330 miles from the southern terminus to my driveway.

UCFKnights

I've clinched every street in every neighborhood I've lived in.

NWI_Irish96

Excluding college dorms, which did not have street addresses, I've lived on 11 different streets/roads since I got my driver's license and have clinched them all, though all of them are < 7 miles long.  I've also clinched three of the five streets/roads I lived on before getting my license.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Bickendan

For Montclair, CA: No.
Medford, OR: Yes.
Portland: No, in all cases, due to segmentation. I have, however, clinched the segments I lived on.

Buffaboy

What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

slorydn1

I have a little bit of a technicality with my street. I actually did clinch it (not hard, its pretty short, cureves around, 180 degrees around a lake and ends in a cul de sac) before I ever lived on it. I delivered a pizza to the last house in the cul de sac before my house was built.

Since I first moved in to the house in early 1992 when it was still my parents house I have not been the whole length of the street, and definitely not since my wife and I moved back in to it in 2003 when it became our house (long story).

So the technicality is that it wasn't my street when I clinched it.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

PHLBOS

For every (permanent) residence I've lived in, yes.  For 3 out of my 4 college years in Bristol, RI; yes for ((Old) Ferry Road), no for RI 114.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JJBers

If you only count the street portion, yes, hundreds of times. If you count all of CT 14 though, I've clinched most of it, but I've still not made it past Moosup.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Eth

My street (not a numbered highway) is about 15 miles long, and I've only been on about 60 percent of it.

kkt

No, my street has a gridwork number that's then broken into sections by valleys, creeks, etc.  So I've been on the sections near me, but the number shows up again at intervals up to 7 miles away without ever being an arterial.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.