News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

State Parks

Started by dvferyance, May 12, 2017, 09:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

I've only been to two state parks (that I remember). The first is Cliffs of the Neuse State Park in eastern North Carolina during a field trip when I was in 5th grade during the 1999-2000 school year. No doubt it pales in comparison to the other state parks in NC, but it's nice for what it is. The park is off of NC-111, a few miles southeast of Goldsboro near Seven Springs.

The other state park I've been to is Sailor's Creek State Park in southern Virginia, which is mostly a Civil War battlefield. I went there a couple of times in 2009 right after moving to Farmville. It's off of VA-307, a few miles northeast of Rice.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

SP Cook

WV has a ton of state parks, which range from wide spots in the road with an historical marker to resorts run by private companies.  Ones I have visited:

- Beech Fork, which is just a lake, the resort part never got built.
- Blackwater Falls, very scenic backcountry.
- Bluestone, which is a lake, not that interesting.
- Camp Creek, which is more just a campground, not that interesting.
- Cannan Valley, which is a ski lodge run by a private company, it is nice.  Developing some summer things now. 
- Cass Scenic Railroad, which is, as the name implies it is.  Very nice, but takes all day. 
- Chief Logan.  Built by former governor from there, motel in the middle of nowhere, serves no purpose.  Most guests are state workers sent to meetings there.
- Hawks Nest.  Very scenic views on New River Gorge.
- Little Beaver (yes, that is really the name).  Just a lake.
- North Bend.  Lodge.  Middle of nowhere, not very scenic.  Another place for state worker meetings.
- Pinnacle Rock.  Just a big rock next to US 52. 
- Pipestem.  Another commercial park, nice golf course.  Showing its age.
- Stonewall Jackson Lake.  Another commercial managed deal.  Nice golf course. 
- Twin Falls.  There actually are no twin falls there.   Georgia Pacific clear cut it in the 60s and donated the land to the state.  Trees grew back, rest is a mediocre golf course and a motel.

epzik8

Rocks State Park and Susquehanna State Park are the two where I live in Harford County, Maryland. They're both great for recreation almost year-round. I should mention that the Rocks doesn't have public camping, but does have multiple trails and picnic areas, and some amazing views of Deer Creek. Susquehanna is bigger and does have camping.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

7/8

Here are the state/provincial parks I've been to:

Ontario
- Sandbanks: I was somewhat young at the time, but I remember being impressed by the size of the sand dunes. I would love to go back and see it again.
- The Pinery: I went camping here for a few nights recently and I thought the beach was great! It was a lot quieter than nearby Grand Bend, which was nice for a change.
- Forks of the Credit: I went hiking for a few hours here with a friend and the gorge we saw was pretty cool. Also, Forks of the Credit Road was one of the most fun drives I've done in Ontario, with actual hairpins!
- Port Burwell: I was here on a weekday, and only saw one or two other people. Judging from the location, I would expect it to still be pretty quiet on a weekend, which makes me want to head back here
- Long Point: I spent a day last summer going to the beach here, and it was fairly busy, but the beach was nice and Lake Erie is certainly warm :)
- James N. Allan: I spent 30 minutes here on a short day trip during a co-op term to visit Haldimand County for my mob-rule map. It seems like a nice spot, but very secluded, so you'd definitely have to pack a lunch. I got the impression you could have the whole beach to yourself.
- Algonquin: I've only driven through it, but highway 60 was certainly a scenic drive. One day I'll have to try a canoe trip to truly experience the park

New York
- Letchworth: I went on a day trip on Remembrance Day 2015 to get two more counties and see the "Grand Canyon of the East" and I wasn't disappointed! The leaves were past their prime, but hiking down to the stone bridge for a great view of one of the waterfalls was pretty cool. (Here's three photos)

- Niagara Falls: I visited this on the same day, and again it was nice to see the more natural side of Niagara Falls, as opposed to the commercialized Canadian side. I've been to Niagara Falls several times, but this was the first time I ever did anything on the American side.

Missouri
-Lake of the Ozarks: My mom and I decided to go on an hour-or-two hike along the lake and it was a nice trail with some great views.

It's a national park (so I know it doesn't count), but I feel like I have to give a special mention to Bruce Peninsula N.P. in Tobermory, ON. The Grotto on Georgian Bay is one of the coolest places I've seen, with the steep rock cliffs right on the clear lake water. It's also a great place for cliff jumping. The water is very cold, but it's worth jumping in! :) (Here's a photo from the internet)

kalvado

Quote from: 7/8 on May 15, 2017, 09:55:44 PM

- Niagara Falls: I visited this on the same day, and again it was nice to see the more natural side of Niagara Falls, as opposed to the commercialized Canadian side. I've been to Niagara Falls several times, but this was the first time I ever did anything on the American side.
You're putting it in a very interesting way.
Just for comparison, I've been to US side of Niagara Falls several times, but last summer was the first time I ever did anything on Canadian side. And again,  it was nice to see the more improved side of Niagara Falls, as opposed to the neglected American side. There were enough places to eat and, believe it or not, using restroom didn't require waiting in line! View from Canadian side is also much much better.... And probably that is the reason for more development on southern (Canadian) side.

Rothman

Development on the U.S. side was thankfully curtailed after it was ruined by hawkers.  The development of Niagara Falls was and is a travesty, if you could imagine what it would be like to see it on a much more natural state.

In fact, the ruination of Niagara led to the development of the U.S. National Park System.

I find the development on either side ugly.  Glad the state park was established, but it was an action after the fact and it is unfortunate the area was not better preserved.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2017, 09:52:48 AM
Development on the U.S. side was thankfully curtailed after it was ruined by hawkers.  The development of Niagara Falls was and is a travesty, if you could imagine what it would be like to see it on a much more natural state.

In fact, the ruination of Niagara led to the development of the U.S. National Park System.

I find the development on either side ugly.  Glad the state park was established, but it was an action after the fact and it is unfortunate the area was not better preserved.
I am not sure what you mean by "ruined". If you think about using water of Niagara river for power plants - and diverting it off the falls (as far as I know, not more than 50% during tourist season and not more than 75% off-season) - then you cannot have the cake and eat it too. NYS gets a lot of power from Niagara, and I don't see an easy replacement for that.
If you're talking about all the cluster... with development policies - well, why not start with modest, medium quality food place? McDonalds maybe? Or Panera, Chipotle?  And a nice, clean restroom with enough capacity? I know 25 story hotel as ones on Canadian side sound great - but you need to start somewhere...  If it takes more than a year to get McDonlads built.. Well, Canadian businesses gladly accept US dollars...

dvferyance

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 14, 2017, 04:58:40 PM
I haven't been to most of Virginia's state parks (as opposed to local, regional, or national parks). Natural Bridge State Park was worth the visit this past December. I think it's the only one I've visited.
We tried to go there but didn't becasue it just ended up being a tourist trap. I just found out that Wisconsin has it's own natural bridge out in Sauk County. I will try to check it out sometime.

dvferyance

Quote from: inkyatari on May 15, 2017, 12:38:11 PM
Illinois:

Another vote for Starved Rock, but stay away on holiday weekends.  I still love the place, but the crowds can ruin the experience.
Also

Giant City
Mississippi Palisades
Castle Rock
Lowden
Cave in Rock
Ferne Clyffe
Dixon Springs
Cache River
I would like to check out Rock Cut. Wish I had years ago when my Grandparents were around they lived in Rockford.

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on May 16, 2017, 10:33:35 AM

I am not sure what you mean by "ruined". If you think about using water of Niagara river for power plants - and diverting it off the falls (as far as I know, not more than 50% during tourist season and not more than 75% off-season) - then you cannot have the cake and eat it too. NYS gets a lot of power from Niagara, and I don't see an easy replacement for that.
If you're talking about all the cluster... with development policies - well, why not start with modest, medium quality food place? McDonalds maybe? Or Panera, Chipotle?  And a nice, clean restroom with enough capacity? I know 25 story hotel as ones on Canadian side sound great - but you need to start somewhere...  If it takes more than a year to get McDonlads built.. Well, Canadian businesses gladly accept US dollars...
Ah yes, Golden Arches over the falls.

I don't have a problem with the dams further up the way.  They do have periods where they let all the water go over the falls.

But the development, absolutely.  McDonald's is quality food?  Golden arches over the falls?  I believe there is one just a few blocks back from the park.  The suggestion of putting one in the park itself is just why you have to save the falls from the ugly Americans.  The nature is what draws people to the site and then they want to put a Panera on it.  Blech.

Would have been better if a large swath of land on either side was preserved, and the cities moved back from the falls a decent bit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2017, 12:55:26 PM

I don't have a problem with the dams further up the way.  They do have periods where they let all the water go over the falls.

But the development, absolutely.  McDonald's is quality food?  Golden arches over the falls?  I believe there is one just a few blocks back from the park.  The suggestion of putting one in the park itself is just why you have to save the falls from the ugly Americans.  The nature is what draws people to the site and then they want to put a Panera on it.  Blech.

Would have been better if a large swath of land on either side was preserved, and the cities moved back from the falls a decent bit.

I don't know about you, but once I spent some time by the falls, I don't mind something to eat. And if I say McD is a quality food compared to what you can find around. Tells you something about other options, heh... I don't remember what did I get at Grand Canyon, for example. It didn't compromise the area, it was reasonable.
But Niagara need to start somewhere, you know.. Just for comparison, there is Tim Horton within close range from the falls on the other side. And you know, it doesn't kill the place!

Rothman

Quote from: kalvado on May 16, 2017, 02:31:12 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 16, 2017, 12:55:26 PM

I don't know about you, but once I spent some time by the falls, I don't mind something to eat. And if I say McD is a quality food compared to what you can find around. Tells you something about other options, heh... I don't remember what did I get at Grand Canyon, for example. It didn't compromise the area, it was reasonable.
But Niagara need to start somewhere, you know.. Just for comparison, there is Tim Horton within close range from the falls on the other side. And you know, it doesn't kill the place!
Yeah, it does.  The area surrounding the falls is pretty ugly.

vdeane

The Canadian side is basically a glorified resort that happens to have a waterfall nearby.  The American side is a park.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on May 16, 2017, 08:24:16 PM
The Canadian side is basically a glorified resort that happens to have a waterfall nearby.  The American side is a park.
Park for the locals, maybe. Problem is, Niagara falls is a little bit known beyond immediate Buffalo area. As such, it attract people who actually travel  a little bit - maybe couple hundred or thousand miles - to see the damn waterfall. They don't need trails, picnic tables and such - just see the falls, enjoy related attractions, and fly back. Canadian side is optimized for that.
I just saw a paper claiming NF was The Honeymoon place in 50s. On a same page - short term visit.. Today we can travel further, but that doesn't change equation. And unlike, say, Grand Canyon - NF park and trails are not designed for long trips. Neither throughput is there.
I, for one, went down the Devil's hole trail. Well... no need to fly to far for that kind of experience.

1995hoo

We drove down to Niagara Falls for a day trip when I was a kid and we were on a family vacation around Ontario–we were in Toronto for a few days at the tail end of the trip and drove around to Niagara Falls, missing a massive afternoon storm that flooded streets in Toronto. We were all baffled as to how people make Niagara Falls their destination for their whole trip, even more so a honeymoon destination. One day was plenty. We only went to the Canadian side so as not to have to clear Customs twice in one day and we all thought it was a tourist trap, and I'm sure it's only gotten worse in the many years since then.

(Trip around Ontario included Ottawa, North Bay, Cochrane/Greenwater Provincial Park, Moosonee and Moose Factory, Timmins, Sudbury, east side of Georgian Bay, Toronto, and Niagara Falls. For the drive home from Toronto, all in one day, my father decided on the long way around via Erie and I-79 down to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Don't need to go that way ever again!)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

Not my state, but Utah's Dead Horse Point State Park has scenery worthy of a national park. Recommended.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Rothman

Quote from: kurumi on May 16, 2017, 09:57:51 PM
Not my state, but Utah's Dead Horse Point State Park has scenery worthy of a national park. Recommended.
Isn't there a uranium processing plant In the view?

tdindy88

Almost without doubt the most well-known state park in Indiana is Brown County State Park, located in...take a guess. Brown County is essentially Indiana's version of the Great Smoky Mountains on a much smaller scale with nearby Nashville as the tiny Gatlinburg stand-in. If I understand correctly over a million people visit the park each year, with fall being the most popular time for all the colors.

Then you have Turkey Run (western Indiana) with sandstone canyons and Sugar Creek flowing through with a covered bridge for good measure. Nearby Shades State Park has similar terrain but without the crowds. Both are in western Indiana and probably only a few miles away from your more standard Indiana land feature of flat farmlands.

Clifty Falls around Madison and McCormick's Creek outside Spencer both have waterfalls (at least by Hoosier standards) and are also popular. The other really big parks would be Indiana Dunes up by Chesterton, a state park that's basically a beach and Pokagon (near Angola) with is lakes and toboggan run. The southern half of the state does have more state parks but the north as a few gems as well.

Rothman

Went camping in Brown County State Park on my first ever camping trip with my father when I was a wee lad.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: epzik8 on May 15, 2017, 09:22:59 PM
Rocks State Park and Susquehanna State Park are the two where I live in Harford County, Maryland. They're both great for recreation almost year-round. I should mention that the Rocks doesn't have public camping, but does have multiple trails and picnic areas, and some amazing views of Deer Creek. Susquehanna is bigger and does have camping.
I will second Rocks State Park.  A few years ago we went there with family who lived in the area.  We went to two nice locations - Kilgore Falls and another section where we climbed up on (appropriately enough) very large....rocks.  Great view.  Also, for Maryland, I like Cunningham Falls near Thurmont.

New Jersey has some good state parks.  Locally, we go to the beach at Island Beach State Park.  A yearly state park pass gets your car in, with no need to worry about Jersey's ridiculous municipal beach tag system.  Can't beat it....unless the park hits capacity as it often does on summer weekends.

oscar

Quote from: kurumi on May 16, 2017, 09:57:51 PM

Not my state either, and I haven't been to many state parks, but This Is The Place state park near Salt Lake City marks the end of one of the great 19th century road trips, by the first wave of Mormon settlers.

The Extra Miler Club had its 2008 annual meeting there, which is when I visited the park.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

7/8

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 16, 2017, 09:52:18 PM
We drove down to Niagara Falls for a day trip when I was a kid and we were on a family vacation around Ontario–we were in Toronto for a few days at the tail end of the trip and drove around to Niagara Falls, missing a massive afternoon storm that flooded streets in Toronto. We were all baffled as to how people make Niagara Falls their destination for their whole trip, even more so a honeymoon destination. One day was plenty. We only went to the Canadian side so as not to have to clear Customs twice in one day and we all thought it was a tourist trap, and I'm sure it's only gotten worse in the many years since then.

I agree that one day is plenty to see the falls. It's one of those things you have to see at least once, but it doesn't take long to see everything in town.

(Trip around Ontario included Ottawa, North Bay, Cochrane/Greenwater Provincial Park, Moosonee and Moose Factory, Timmins, Sudbury, east side of Georgian Bay, Toronto, and Niagara Falls. For the drive home from Toronto, all in one day, my father decided on the long way around via Erie and I-79 down to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Don't need to go that way ever again!)

It's funny you mention the long way home, since that was the main route my family would take from eastern NC. Google Maps says it's currently 23 minutes faster to take I-99>US 219, but my parents probably preferred sticking to the interstate.

inkyatari

California:

Jedadiah Smith Redwoods
Samuel P. Taylor

Indiana:

Turkey Run

Iowa:

Maquoketa Caves
Bellvue

Wisconsin:

Kettle Moraine (South)

Michigan:

Warren Dunes
Wilderness
Tahquamenon Falls
Porcupine Mountains

Minnesota:

Tower-Soudan (I think the name of the park has changed since I've been there)

Utah:

Goosenecks

Colorado:

Golden Gate Canyon

Missouri:

Onondoga Caves
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

ghYHZ

Since we're talking about Parks....just an FYI: If you are coming to Canada this year (It's our 150th Birthday) admission to all National Parks is Free....and that includes Banff, Jasper, Gros Morne, Cape Breton Highlands etc.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/voyage-travel/admission

kalvado

Quote from: 7/8 on May 16, 2017, 11:40:14 PM

I agree that one day is plenty to see the falls. It's one of those things you have to see at least once, but it doesn't take long to see everything in town.

It may take a while to see everything, but one day is enough to see the feature place and tell your grandkids about fabulous trip to Niagara.
Actually same goes for many other sites. Pretty often I end up feeling bad about not doing my homework and not spending more time on things which look interesting in hindsight. For example, I did look at whirlpool on NF only on my 4th trip, but I still have to see Seaway canal; I didn't go below the rim in Grand Canyon (although there were good reasons for that), and I definitely could wonder a bit more around Centralia.  But I did see those places, and one day (even few hours) covers the most important stuff..

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.