News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

RIP Chris Cornell

Started by sparker, May 19, 2017, 03:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: bugo on June 12, 2017, 12:52:02 AM
Quote from: Rothman on June 11, 2017, 10:27:15 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 11, 2017, 07:10:09 PM
Quote from: gilpdawg on June 10, 2017, 11:36:37 PM
Quote from: bugo on May 24, 2017, 05:14:02 PM
Those bands sound NOTHING alike! They use loud guitars and have drums, bass and vocals. Is Iron Maiden a "grunge" band? Nine Inch Nails? Poison?

My view is FAR from unique. Everybody I have discussed this with has agreed with me.

I'm a musician, and I gigantic music fan, so I know what I'm talking about. Alice in Chains was a metal band, Nirvana was a punk band, Pearl Jam is a bluesy rock band, and Soundgarden was a weird quirky sludge band. None of them sound remotely alike. It's like putting Bassnectar, Neil Young, Enya and Cannibal Corpse in the same genre.

"Grunge" is a clothing style, not a musical style. I'll defend that opinion to the death. If he were still here, you could ask Cobain what he thought of the "genre".

The media likes to put everything in a neat little box so the idiot rubes can easily digest it without thinking for themselves. You have fallen for their bullshit.
You got killed for this take, but you are absolutely right.

Not to sound like an arrogant dick, but I am right. All of my friends agree with me. Everybody I've ever had a discussion with about it has agreed with me.

This is not the way truth is found.  It sounds like you ranted about your pet topic and your friends nodded and moved onto something more important.

I've actually had friends bring it up before I even mentioned it to them.
Well, congrats:  You and your group of friends can go around snobbily proclaiming that grunge doesn't exist while the world still continues to turn accepting the opposite.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bugo

The world agrees with me. Sheep and the tonedeaf media disagree. Listen. I've listened to every album by every one of those bands hundreds of times. The bands are not related. It is not a genre. If Pearl Jam is "grunge" then so is Neil Young.

Rothman

Quote from: bugo on June 12, 2017, 07:50:16 PM
The world agrees with me.

That is what Don Quixote thought, too. :D

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bugo

I trust my own ears more than I trust the ears of critics. Critics say Sgt Pepper was better than Revolver. I know better.

Rothman

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.