News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Siblings or family members becoming roadgeeks

Started by epzik8, May 19, 2017, 12:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Have you ever witnessed a family member of yours, such as a sibling, take the plunge into roadgeekery? I'm one of a set of triplet boys (we turned 22 yesterday) and I think one of my brothers is in the early stages of roadgeekery. He's been looking at some road atlases lately. Also, back in February, the three of us were landing at Baltimore-Washington coming back from Tampa, and I said to nobody in particular that we were flying over I-97, and that same brother seemed genuinely interested.

Anyone else have a sibling, cousin, or whoever become a roadgeek all on their own?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

My Dad and my Uncle would have met the definition.  My Dad was huge on road travel, he pretty much knew how to navigate off US Route and Interstate numbering when that was still a thing.  My Uncle is a transportation nut which is ironic considering how timid he is behind the wheel.

slorydn1

My dad was, he could navigate anywhere, anytime. He would go to a city for the first time and get around it like he lived there for a while.
My little brother was more of a roadgeek as a kid but unlike me seemed to grow out of it.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

kurumi

I was in the online archive for my hometown newspaper and found a letter to the editor outlining ways Connecticut could improve its highway system:
* more advance junction signage
* luminous (reflective) road paint
* eliminate all left entrances/exits
* upgrade the non-freeway routes as well

And the author of that letter... oh hi, Dad. That had been a long time ago and I had no idea he had written it.

He's more of a history geek than a roadgeek, and that letter was probably the high water mark.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SSOWorld

I think my late grandfather was a closet roadgeek - he had taken a drive to Alaska and did trips quite often in his older years.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.