News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Songs/artists you're tired of hearing

Started by hbelkins, May 22, 2017, 03:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

Quote from: formulanone on May 22, 2017, 05:34:57 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on May 22, 2017, 04:16:21 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 22, 2017, 04:02:17 PM
Is this thread different from the "I hate this song!" thread in any way?

I would say yes because "I Hate This Song" deals with songs that you absolutely hate.  Songs/artists you're tired of hearing deals with material that you like, but you just hear it over and over and over again on the radio.  Freebird would fall in the latter category.  Great song, just played to death on classic rock stations.

I could probably put this list at about 150-200, but I'd rather not bore you...Here's some good-bad examples. The problem with so-called Classic Rock stations is that they seem to play from a seemingly universal playlist, one that's barely moved an inch since 1985, and rarely takes a crack at anything before 1965. For reasons radio experts here can better explain, they rarely delve much past the singles, let alone B-sides.

Oddly, when an artist passes away, you get to hear a lot more songs that fell out of rotation or didn't have (much) radio play. Once in a while, they'll play just the right song at just the right moment, and that's great. Even great songs lose their impact when you hear it every day.

It's not just a classic rock-station problem, it occurs with anything stuck in a particular time era. For all the whining about how often Hotel California gets played, you could be stuck for a week or two listening to XM's The Blend, or some other "All Your* Favorites from the 80's, 90's, and Today!" station, and you'll be begging for Derek and the Dominoes to belt out Layla right quick.

* 99% guaranteed not to be yours.

What is interesting is that I've seen a couple of classic rock stations in my travels that will delve into the 90s and early 00s. Nirvana and Green Day are starting to make its way onto classic rock stations. I've even heard Nickelback on a Classic Rock station.

DaBigE

Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 31, 2017, 09:43:06 AM

I would say yes because "I Hate This Song" deals with songs that you absolutely hate.  Songs/artists you're tired of hearing deals with material that you like, but you just hear it over and over and over again on the radio.  Freebird would fall in the latter category.  Great song, just played to death on classic rock stations.

I could probably put this list at about 150-200, but I'd rather not bore you...Here's some good-bad examples. The problem with so-called Classic Rock stations is that they seem to play from a seemingly universal playlist, one that's barely moved an inch since 1985, and rarely takes a crack at anything before 1965. For reasons radio experts here can better explain, they rarely delve much past the singles, let alone B-sides.

Oddly, when an artist passes away, you get to hear a lot more songs that fell out of rotation or didn't have (much) radio play. Once in a while, they'll play just the right song at just the right moment, and that's great. Even great songs lose their impact when you hear it every day.

It's not just a classic rock-station problem, it occurs with anything stuck in a particular time era. For all the whining about how often Hotel California gets played, you could be stuck for a week or two listening to XM's The Blend, or some other "All Your* Favorites from the 80's, 90's, and Today!" station, and you'll be begging for Derek and the Dominoes to belt out Layla right quick.

What is interesting is that I've seen a couple of classic rock stations in my travels that will delve into the 90s and early 00s. Nirvana and Green Day are starting to make its way onto classic rock stations. I've even heard Nickelback on a Classic Rock station.

The joys of getting older. As time goes on, all the music gradually moves back in categories. Today's pop will eventually be tomorrow's oldies.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: DaBigE on May 31, 2017, 10:25:49 AM

The joys of getting older. As time goes on, all the music gradually moves back in categories. Today's pop will eventually be tomorrow's oldies.
I am heared destinys child on a classic rock station.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cjk374

I believe that once a song reaches a certain age, it become "classic rock". I have no formula to prove my point...just a hunch.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bugo

Pretty much all of the 80 or so songs that make up the "classic rock" genre.

roadman65

Quote from: cjk374 on May 31, 2017, 08:02:30 PM
I believe that once a song reaches a certain age, it become "classic rock". I have no formula to prove my point...just a hunch.
I do not know WHTQ when they were the rock of Central Florida used the exact day it stopped playing new rock to differentiate.   So the latest song they played was either Ozzy and Mama I'm Coming Home or Van Halen Right Now as you never heard anything from Balance (the next album after the For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge where Right Now came from.

However when WNEW was a station in NYC they called themselves classic rock even though they played the latest of the time. 

Now in Orlando we have it defined as "The Classic Hits" on WHTQ, that took over after HTQ went AM Talk using WDBO's call letters.  Apparently the change in demos was why they yanked classic rock off the Orlando and Tampa dial as both Cox Media Channels The Bone at 102.5 in Tampa and WHTQ in O Town.  Then all of a sudden the soft rock WMMO changed format back to classic rock as well as whatever 107.5 in Tampa was is now The Eagle 107 playing the same exact format MMO is now playing.  I assume they were wrong with the demos and got complaints about those stations going south and they resurrected them.

Anyway, I am surprised the FM Sirius or Sirius FM did not take as when I attended Connecticut School of Broadcasting it was made know to us pupils that Satellite Radio is just holding on, as like someone here mentioned that many stations on there play songs that have been forgotten or those in between cuts that were never singles and never got long term air play you can now find in Deep Cuts and a few other stations.  They I imagine would not have to much repetition to have songs played to death on, so you would figure the Generation X would be the number one users to that radio phenomenon.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SectorZ

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: bugo on June 02, 2017, 05:53:51 AM
Pretty much all of the 80 or so songs that make up the "classic rock" genre.
Then try listening to contemporary music.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

SectorZ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 31, 2017, 10:57:10 AM

With XM I don't listen to FM radio anymore, but I am pretty sure the classic rock stations we have in Boston aren't playing Destiny's Child.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on June 03, 2017, 09:31:55 PM

With XM I don't listen to FM radio anymore, but I am pretty sure the classic rock stations we have in Boston aren't playing Destiny's Child.
It was in Cape Cod.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2017, 10:02:19 PM

It was in Cape Cod.

Do they have their own media market in The Cape or do they just get Providence stations?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: The Nature Boy on June 09, 2017, 10:09:44 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 03, 2017, 10:02:19 PM

It was in Cape Cod.

Do they have their own media market in The Cape or do they just get Providence stations?
I think there are a few cape cod local stations.

roadman65

What really gets me is since the early 90's I have not heard any rock station play anything from Clapton's albums.  The last new song from Clapton was the unplugged version of Layla.  After that he released many albums including one with JJ Cale who was the author of Cocaine and After Midnight and even BB King in the 90's.

Other groups too like Van Halen as the album Balance and the one sole one with Gary Schorone and even the latest with David Lee Roth (which I never knew existed until I looked it up).  Their last song to be played was Right Now.

Even Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, and many others since the early 90's have not gotten anything played from the late 90's, the 00's and even the present teens.

Somehow I get the feeling that rock music from the year 1991 to now is a new different genre.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

I heard "Forever Man" just the other day. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2017, 10:27:05 AM
What really gets me is since the early 90's I have not heard any rock station play anything from Clapton's albums.  The last new song from Clapton was the unplugged version of Layla.  After that he released many albums including one with JJ Cale who was the author of Cocaine and After Midnight and even BB King in the 90's.

Other groups too like Van Halen as the album Balance and the one sole one with Gary Schorone and even the latest with David Lee Roth (which I never knew existed until I looked it up).  Their last song to be played was Right Now.

Even Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, and many others since the early 90's have not gotten anything played from the late 90's, the 00's and even the present teens.

Somehow I get the feeling that rock music from the year 1991 to now is a new different genre.

Bon Jovi and U2 are probably the only two 80s bands that managed to get their newer stuff played through the 90s and into the 00s.

hbelkins

Bon Jovi has new stuff? I don't think I've heard anything released since "It's My Life," or whatever that song was, back in 2000.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on June 09, 2017, 03:09:17 PM
Bon Jovi has new stuff? I don't think I've heard anything released since "It's My Life," or whatever that song was, back in 2000.

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

DaBigE

QuoteStudio albums (since 1999):
Crush (2000)
Bounce (2002)
Have a Nice Day (2005)
Lost Highway (2007)
The Circle (2009)
What About Now (2013)
This House Is Not for Sale (2016)
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: DaBigE on June 09, 2017, 04:11:23 PM

Crush (2000)
Bounce (2002)
Have a Nice Day (2005)
Lost Highway (2007)
The Circle (2009)
What About Now (2013)

Go to Gillette Stadium and you'll hear This is our House quite a bit.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: DaBigE on June 09, 2017, 04:11:23 PM

Crush (2000)
Bounce (2002)
Have a Nice Day (2005)
Lost Highway (2007)
The Circle (2009)
What About Now (2013)
Are any of these songs even popular?

LM117

The local Food Lion near me has had a hard-on for "Scars To Your Beautiful" by Alessia Cara for the last couple of weeks now.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Actually, I knew that Bon Jovi was still recording, I just haven't heard anything they've done in years. I lost interest in them after Jon did his solo album.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

allniter89

QuoteWith XM I don't listen to FM radio anymore, but I am pretty sure the classic rock stations we have in Boston aren't playing Destiny's Child.

I havent listened to XM since 2009, but Deep Tracks was the perfect station imo. Playing b sides & sometimes obscure tracks as well as tracks most everyone loved (but not playing them 5 times a day). Earl Bailey was a great host he often had little tidbits of info about the song or the musician. I got the feeling he really loved his job. They used to play the long version (is there even a shorter version?) of Ina Gadda Da Vida either Fri or Saturday nite at midnight, I loved it!
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.