News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Toll roads that still use coin baskets

Started by DevalDragon, May 30, 2017, 02:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

Quote from: PColumbus73 on June 01, 2017, 09:25:44 PM
I-185 in South Carolina
Lemme guess:  you watch HaloMastermind117's Bad Drivers of South Carolina.

PColumbus73

No, I've driven the highway several times

FreewayDan

Quote from: FreewayDan on May 30, 2017, 11:42:23 PM
HCTRA still has two portions of its system that still use coin baskets: Sam Houston Tollway (except for the northeast section between I-69 North and U.S. 90 and the Ship Channel Bridge) and the Fort Bend Toll Road (north of Beltway 8). 

Update:
As of May 2017, HCTRA has converted its section of the Fort Bend Toll Road to EZ Tag only.
https://www.hctra.org/News/Ft_Bend_Parkway_Extension_Becomes_EZ_TAG_Only
LEFT ON GREEN
ARROW ONLY

UCFKnights

orlandos toll roads still have them

RG407

Quote from: UCFKnights on June 03, 2017, 08:16:40 AM
I've had E-Pass since the early days.  It's been ages since I've had to toss coins in the basket.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 01, 2017, 05:13:23 PM
Coin baskets are only viable when the toll at a certain barrier is a fixed amount less than $1, and not based on mileage.
Once tolls started going over 75 cents in the Orlando area, the number of baskets went down.

hubcity

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 01, 2017, 10:00:26 PM
Coin baskets are only viable when the toll at a certain barrier is a fixed amount less than $1, and not based on mileage.

The Garden State Parkway have always had them at their $1.50 tolls.

I used one of them this past weekend, and I agree, they're not viable  :biggrin:

ilpt4u

If the Coin buckets take Dollar Coins, it works for amounts >$1. Not too hard to go to a bank and get a few rolls of Dollar Coins.

That being said, much easier to go and get an I-Pass/EZ-Pass transponder and not worry about toll baskets again, ever

So I'd say Electronic Toll Collection makes Coin buckets a lot less viable, moreso than amounts >$1

UCFKnights

Quote from: RG407 on June 11, 2017, 11:46:17 PM
Quote from: UCFKnights on June 03, 2017, 08:16:40 AM
I've had E-Pass since the early days.  It's been ages since I've had to toss coins in the basket.
Oh I haven't used them in ages... well, other then using their lanes when people start stopping or reducing to 5mph when going through e pass lanes and nobody is in the basket lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.