News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Who still use's hand/arm signals when driving?

Started by Roadster, June 14, 2017, 08:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadster

OK, other than the regular "waving" of your hand signaling good bye or the well known use of one's "middle-finger" of the hand  :-D what I am stating here is the use of your "left hand/arm" to use for signaling while driving.

The other day I was stunned to see another driver, yes.....using hand signals while operating a motor vehicle!   :hmmm:

Now mind you, the vehicle that the individual was driving was fairly not that old (like 2-3 years) but still the driver stuck his left arm out the window to signal a left turn. Then when coming to a stop, slid his left arm down to the side of his door to signal a stop.   :-D

The last time that I had ever seen drivers using their arms for signaling was back in the late 60's to early 70's.

Anyone here on AARoads still use arm signaling when operating a motor vehicle?

7/8

I thought people only do this if their turn signal is broken.

jakeroot

I will use my hand to signal a lane change to the left in heavy traffic, if I'm next to another car who doesn't notice my signal, and I'm trying to merge in. Kind of a friendly "hey, I want in".

csw

Plenty of motorcyclists use hand signals.

davewiecking

Dittoing Jakeroot's behavior, sort of. If I'm working on my driver's tan, and it's less effort to stick my arm out the window to signal a desired lane change than take my arm off the door to reach the turn signal lever. And occasionally if there's heavy traffic ahead, as I take my foot of the gas I'll use the down-angled arm motion before my foot hits the brake. But again, only because my arm is already getting a tan. I certainly do these more often since my stick shift HHR was rear ended several months ago and I exclusively drive an automatic. But the left arm sticking up to indicate a right turn? No way.

renegade

Quote from: csw on June 14, 2017, 10:25:40 PM
Plenty of motorcyclists use hand signals.
My other half does when we are out on the motorcycle, but there's also this neat little invention on the handlebars called a "turn signal."  I'm usually all about that, seeing as I like pushing buttons.  A lot of people don't know that cars have 'em too ... it's that lever conveniently located on the left side of the steering wheel.

My dad, however, would have answered your question, "Yes." :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 7/8 on June 14, 2017, 08:33:15 PM

This is what I did back when my previous car was having electrical problems while I worked as a delivery driver (turned out something was wrong with the signal switch inside the steering column — it would blink rapidly as if a bulb were burnt out, which wasn't the case, or just simply not work at all). I felt silly but I knew I was doing the right thing.

kalvado

The other day I met a big lawn mower on a 4-way stop... Driver used proper hand signal to show his intentions.
I am not sure if that vehicle would be allowed on public roads, but since he went from one lawn to another one within the same campus I doubt anyone would really care about fine print.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on June 14, 2017, 08:38:42 PM
I will use my hand to signal a lane change to the left in heavy traffic, if I'm next to another car who doesn't notice my signal, and I'm trying to merge in. Kind of a friendly "hey, I want in".
I've done similar typically for lane changes/merges as opposed to turns; especially if the other driver might think that I accidentally left my turn signal on (i.e. the eternal blinker (blinkah for Bay State drivers  :-D )).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 15, 2017, 09:17:44 AM
I've done similar typically for lane changes/merges as opposed to turns; especially if the other driver might think that I accidentally left my turn signal on (i.e. the eternal blinker (blinkah for Bay State drivers  :-D )).
For bay area, you may end up being guilty causing an accident once a motorcycle crashes into your hand..

PHLBOS

Quote from: kalvado on June 15, 2017, 10:21:56 AM
For bay area, you may end up being guilty causing an accident once a motorcycle crashes into your hand..
That's a bit backwards isn't it?  If the motorcycle is coming from behind & riding between lanes; isn't it that rider's responsibility to maintain a reasonable buffer from vehicles (& items) in front (& to the side) of him.  Additionally, isn't riding a motorcycle between lanes illegal in most instances?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman

Quote from: 7/8 on June 14, 2017, 08:33:15 PM
In my 39+ years of driving, I've used hand signals exactly three times.  The first time was during my driver's test, where it was required.  The other two times were when one of my turn signals failed.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

spooky

I saw a motorcycle rider using proper hand signals and my first thought was "wow, I didn't realize anyone still did that anymore", with my second thought "wow, I bet no one understands those any more."

When I was young my father had a hot rod that did not have turn signals, and so used hand signals when turning. He later built a different hot rod that had turn signals.

bzakharin

People also randomly stick their hands out of their windows for no reason. I don't think I've ever seen an intentional hand signal in my life, and certainly have not used them myself (though I'm careful not to stick my hand out in such a way that it might look like one).

briantroutman

I use hand signals on my bicycle (hardly anyone else seems to), and I get the impression that many motorists don't even know what I'm doing.

I had a thread some time ago asking whether, in a modern vehicle with perfectly functioning turn signals, the elective use of hand signals alone still satisfies the legal requirement to signal a turn or lane change. The consensus seemed to be that an elective hand signal probably was sufficient–but I suspect we'd get varying answers if we polled law enforcement officers.

But if the elective use of hand signals in a modern vehicle is legal, that would seem to be quite a loophole. Federal standards dictate the brightness, viewable angle, flash rate, surface area, color, and other aspects of turn signal lamps–which have been federally mandated for decades. And somehow Cletus hanging his arm out the window is enough to circumvent decades of federal regulations?

kkt

The last time I had to use hand signals was having to demonstrate it in drivers' training.

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 15, 2017, 11:08:08 AM
That's a bit backwards isn't it?  If the motorcycle is coming from behind & riding between lanes; isn't it that rider's responsibility to maintain a reasonable buffer from vehicles (& items) in front (& to the side) of him.  Additionally, isn't riding a motorcycle between lanes illegal in most instances?
Since you mentioned bay - and I am sorry I read bay area - aka San Francisco area -not bay state  -  I commented about lane splitting being explicitly legal in California.

7/8

Quote from: kkt on June 15, 2017, 12:29:53 PM
The last time I had to use hand signals was having to demonstrate it in drivers' training.

I don't remember learning this in my driver's ed course, and I know it wasn't on either of my in-car tests.

corco

I very briefly owned a 1976 Subaru in 2006 that I bought for $200 that did not have functioning turn signals, and used hand signals when I drove it.

Otherwise, the only time I've used them was when I'm steering the aft car in a broken down vehicle pulled by another vehicle with a tow strap.

UCFKnights

I use them when driving a golf cart or mower on public roads (believe there is an exemption allowing them on <30mph roads in my area). I feel 90% confident that 90% of other drivers have no idea what I'm doing... especially since 90% of them seem to not understand the electronic turn signals. I did the left turn signal today in my golf cart to indicate to the car behind me I was stopping and making my left, and the opposing traffic thought I was trying to tell them to stop.

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on June 15, 2017, 11:08:08 AM

Ignoring the misunderstanding of Bay Area vs Bay State, it's still the responsibility of drivers to not impede the travel of a motorcycle that is riding between lanes (in California). If you stick your hand out while a motorcycle is riding by, and he crashes as a result, you might be held responsible.

Scott5114

Quote from: briantroutman on June 15, 2017, 12:21:52 PM
But if the elective use of hand signals in a modern vehicle is legal, that would seem to be quite a loophole. Federal standards dictate the brightness, viewable angle, flash rate, surface area, color, and other aspects of turn signal lamps–which have been federally mandated for decades. And somehow Cletus hanging his arm out the window is enough to circumvent decades of federal regulations?

Requirements to signal are state law. That's hardly the first instance of a state law foiling the well-made plans of the mice and men in Washington...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Super Mateo

I'm in Chicagoland.  They don't even know how to use electronic signals properly around here, so forget it when it comes to hand signals.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 16, 2017, 04:09:04 AM
Quote from: briantroutman on June 15, 2017, 12:21:52 PM

Requirements to signal are state law. That's hardly the first instance of a state law foiling the well-made plans of the mice and men in Washington...
You also have to remember that older cars are grandfathered into current traffic, so certification requirements  as of today and actual traffic as of today may be very different with 10-15-20 years old cars still being on the road.

1995hoo

Quote from: davewiecking on June 14, 2017, 10:41:43 PM
Dittoing Jakeroot's behavior, sort of. If I'm working on my driver's tan, and it's less effort to stick my arm out the window to signal a desired lane change than take my arm off the door to reach the turn signal lever. And occasionally if there's heavy traffic ahead, as I take my foot of the gas I'll use the down-angled arm motion before my foot hits the brake. But again, only because my arm is already getting a tan. ...

I have done the same on rare occasions, one time when I was in front of a cop. I saw in the mirror that he did a double-take and then started laughing.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.