News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Turn Arounds in Private Driveways

Started by dvferyance, July 20, 2017, 03:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 24, 2017, 03:09:46 PM
Never understood why people think they own the section of public street in front of their house. Obviously a private development with its own road network is a different matter, but I can't think of any such places my way (have to get to medium/outer suburbs for that).
In Neptune Beach FL.. A Jacksonville suburb ...some homeowner called the police about us parking in front of the neighbors to go to the beach...

I told him i was on a public street and we could park there.. It was funny to have the cops come and confirm to him it is a public street and as long as driveways or traffic isnt blocked... Anyone can park there not matter if the home owner puts up no parking signs or other barriers.

That tool needs to move to a far exurb with acre plus lots.. No one wojld ever park in front of their house.

Just south of there in Ponte Vedra Beach(unincorporated St. Johns County) there are many public beach access paths.. But no parking..and adjacent homowners will plant thorny rose bushes or Spanish Bayonett plants to keep out the riff raff coming from "across the ditch"(local nickname for Intercoastal Waterway)

LGMS428

7/8

In Kitchener, ON, you can park on the street overnight (with some exceptions in the winter for snowplows). But in neighbouring Waterloo, you can only park on the street for 3 hours, and if you want to park overnight, you need to call the City for special permission (and you're limited to 9 times a year). That seems so ridiculous to me. My only parking ticket was in Waterloo, since I didn't know about the 3 hour rule (in Kitchener, there would be signs saying the time limit for parking, but Waterloo doesn't post them since 3 hours applies everywhere). The silver lining is that I was working for the City at the time, so it was a short walk from my desk to Parking Services to pay the ticket :-D

In regards to the thread topic, I don't need to do this often, but I've never thought it was a big deal. I don't care if people do this on my driveway as long as they're not driving some giant truck.

Rothman

Heh.  That reminds me of when I returned from a vacation at night with a concrete truck blocking my driveway, across my narrow sideyard and into my neighbor's property to pour a foundation over there.

Called the police.  Got a lot of landscaping work out of the contractor as a result.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jemacedo9

I try not to use private driveways to turn around, though I never really thought about why I don't.  It's just a habit I've gotten into.  I usually just go around the block if I am in a town, or use the next intersection if I am in a subdivision or in a rural area.  It never bothered me if someone uses my driveway to turn around, as long as it's reasonably fast, or they don't cause damage.

As far as blocking, as long as I don't have to go anywhere, I understand if a utility or construction crew blocks my driveway.  But I don't think I've ever had a case where I HAD to go somewhere and my driveway was blocked.

tckma

It's common practice where I live (in a rural area).  My house is so far from the road that I rarely notice.  I *did* have trouble leaving for work once when a cop decided to run a speed trap and parked his cruiser in my driveway facing the road, but he saw me and moved before I had to stop and get out.  Our driveway is shared between two houses.

There's x number of feet from the road that is owned by the county or state.  I don't know the value of x, but I don't think it's enough to accommodate a car.  It's still public property.  Most of the signs I've seen say something like "No truck turning" or "Not a truck turnaround," and are handmade, and usually in front of a church or some other such building rather than a private home.  I don't see what the big deal is, really.  I don't mind people turning around in my driveway.

Heck, I didn't mind people doing it when I lived in Massachusetts where driveways are much shorter.  Although, my house was at the bottom curve of a "U"-shaped set of three streets -- by the time you got to my house, you could tell you could much more easily make a U-turn simply by continuing straight.  So it was a far less common occurrence.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jwolfer on July 24, 2017, 04:52:28 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 24, 2017, 03:09:46 PM
Never understood why people think they own the section of public street in front of their house. Obviously a private development with its own road network is a different matter, but I can't think of any such places my way (have to get to medium/outer suburbs for that).
In Neptune Beach FL.. A Jacksonville suburb ...some homeowner called the police about us parking in front of the neighbors to go to the beach...

I told him i was on a public street and we could park there.. It was funny to have the cops come and confirm to him it is a public street and as long as driveways or traffic isnt blocked... Anyone can park there not matter if the home owner puts up no parking signs or other barriers.

That tool needs to move to a far exurb with acre plus lots.. No one wojld ever park in front of their house.

Just south of there in Ponte Vedra Beach(unincorporated St. Johns County) there are many public beach access paths.. But no parking..and adjacent homowners will plant thorny rose bushes or Spanish Bayonett plants to keep out the riff raff coming from "across the ditch"(local nickname for Intercoastal Waterway)

LGMS428

Sea Isle City, NJ was experiencing sorta the same issue.  Well, some people decided to paint their curbs yellow.  A friend of mine said that he talked to a cop many years ago, who said it was OK.  And for a while, no one bothered with it.  When it was becoming overwhelming with the amount of yellow paint (some were painting the entire curb in front of their house yellow) the city cracked down and told the homeowners to remove the paint or be charged with destruction of public property.  My friend talked to the city and they told him the cop had no authority to tell him that it was OK (which was just a verbal thing, and I don't know if my friend even knew who the cop was).

kalvado

Quote from: tckma on July 26, 2017, 11:07:31 AM
It's common practice where I live (in a rural area).  My house is so far from the road that I rarely notice.  I *did* have trouble leaving for work once when a cop decided to run a speed trap and parked his cruiser in my driveway facing the road, but he saw me and moved before I had to stop and get out.  Our driveway is shared between two houses.

There's x number of feet from the road that is owned by the county or state.  I don't know the value of x, but I don't think it's enough to accommodate a car.  It's still public property.  Most of the signs I've seen say something like "No truck turning" or "Not a truck turnaround," and are handmade, and usually in front of a church or some other such building rather than a private home.  I don't see what the big deal is, really.  I don't mind people turning around in my driveway.

Heck, I didn't mind people doing it when I lived in Massachusetts where driveways are much shorter.  Although, my house was at the bottom curve of a "U"-shaped set of three streets -- by the time you got to my house, you could tell you could much more easily make a U-turn simply by continuing straight.  So it was a far less common occurrence.
Truck, especially heavy, can be an issue from driveway loading strength perspective. Of course, when contractor comes in with all that heavy stuff to do some work for you its another story - driveways can handle that, but eventually need to be rebuilt ($$$)..
But I specifically like when churches post such "no turn around" signs.. You know, "love your neighbor" and all that stuff - now in true action.

tribar

I have a similar question. Is it illegal for someone to block your driveway while they are waiting at a stop sign/traffic light?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: tribar on July 26, 2017, 12:34:44 PM
I have a similar question. Is it illegal for someone to block your driveway while they are waiting at a stop sign/traffic light?

I think it is, although many times you have no choice if the driveway is located where the sensors are.

If it's several car lengths from the light, I've occasionally seen "DO NOT BLOCK DRIVEWAY/INTERSECTION" signs at the driveway.  But it depends on the area.  If you're in an area where there's lots of driveways, it's kinda hard to avoid.  If there's only a single driveway many car lengths back from the intersection, then that really shouldn't be blocked.  Also, if the intersection is controlled by a stop sign, generally traffic won't be stopped very long before the offending car moves. If there's a traffic light, then it could be a minute or two (or longer) before traffic moves again....and in that case, care should be given not to block the driveway.

kalvado

At least in NY it is "do not block side road". I don't think that extends to private driveways - and even business driveways with significant traffic.
Basic assumption is that intermittent blocking shouldn't delay you too much - and maybe 10 moves/day on a private driveway don't warrant any action. Of course things may be different during rush hour and/or for business driveway with lots of visitors (think retail). But then it becomes a matter of courtesy to let you in, and that usually works as far as I can tell.

jeffandnicole

Here's one example of such signage.  https://goo.gl/maps/JT8jpDi7WaQ2  It appears they used an incorrectly worded sign (the intersection itself is never blocked; just the driveway to the post office) and just put a correctly worded signage below it.  They also striped the road to further enforce such signage (which, as you see here, didn't work out too well.  Since it's only a few car lengths back from the intersection and it's a heavily used driveway, they ask that you don't block it, since someone trying to turn left could easily back traffic up into the intersection.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 26, 2017, 01:21:12 PM
Here's one example of such signage.  https://goo.gl/maps/JT8jpDi7WaQ2  It appears they used an incorrectly worded sign (the intersection itself is never blocked; just the driveway to the post office) and just put a correctly worded signage below it.  They also striped the road to further enforce such signage (which, as you see here, didn't work out too well.  Since it's only a few car lengths back from the intersection and it's a heavily used driveway, they ask that you don't block it, since someone trying to turn left could easily back traffic up into the intersection.
Still looks like there is no law behind this sign. NJ Rev Stat § 39:4-138(d) (2013)  prohibits parking In front of a public or private driveway; but I don't see anything about blocking driveway - or even blocking side street by traffic..

doorknob60

In Idaho, no. It's only illegal to block public streets. Any driveway, residential or commercial is fine. It would be unrealistic to worry about that on streets with lots of driveways.

triplemultiplex

I'm at the end of a narrow, urban street that dead-ends without a cul-de-sac and the driveway I share with two other properties is the one used by most folks to turn around.  I have no problem with it whatsoever.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

SectorZ

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 30, 2017, 06:59:04 PM
I'm at the end of a narrow, urban street that dead-ends without a cul-de-sac and the driveway I share with two other properties is the one used by most folks to turn around.  I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I used to live at the end of a cul-de-sac, and watched people constantly drive up to within sight of said cul-de-sac, and yet turn in someone's driveway instead of proceeding to the cul-de-sac. I used to live in a really dumb city...

UCFKnights

Quote from: kalvado on July 26, 2017, 01:34:47 PM
Still looks like there is no law behind this sign. NJ Rev Stat § 39:4-138(d) (2013)  prohibits parking In front of a public or private driveway; but I don't see anything about blocking driveway - or even blocking side street by traffic..
Is there no law requiring you to obey a regulatory sign?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: UCFKnights on August 12, 2017, 04:26:52 PM

The law would be obstruction of traffic.

kalvado

Quote from: UCFKnights on August 12, 2017, 04:26:52 PM
Legally installed regulatory sign. I don't see how DOT (or equivalent agency) can install sign without underlying law.

realjd

Trespassing requires entering AND remaining. Someone turning around in a driveway is in no way trespassing.

Also, unless it's legally posted and signed, trespassing rules only apply if you're asked to leave and refuse. If you pull into someone's driveway and they ask you to leave, and you back out to turn around like you originally intended to, you're also fine.

If weird people really don't want people to turn around in their driveway, they can put up a gate.

US71

I think I've been questioned once.  "I missed my turn"

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jwolfer

Quote from: realjd on August 12, 2017, 10:15:18 PM
Trespassing requires entering AND remaining. Someone turning around in a driveway is in no way trespassing.

Also, unless it's legally posted and signed, trespassing rules only apply if you're asked to leave and refuse. If you pull into someone's driveway and they ask you to leave, and you back out to turn around like you originally intended to, you're also fine.

If weird people really don't want people to turn around in their driveway, they can put up a gate.
In many cases pulling in a driveway and backing out one would not even exit the ROW of the street.. So no grounds to say trespassing

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.