News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Which video game console?

Started by Roadgeekteen, August 01, 2017, 10:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one?

Xbox 1
3 (13%)
Ps4
2 (8.7%)
Switch
4 (17.4%)
Pc
7 (30.4%)
Mobile
0 (0%)
I don't play video games
5 (21.7%)
other
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

csw

You know, you all are worried about online merchants, google, and your car gathering information on you.....I would be more worried about roadgeekteen's frequent and inquisitive surveys

Max Rockatansky

The last console I ever bought was a PS3 which mainly was for playing PS1/PS2 stuff.  I have everything from an Atari 2600 up to that PS3 that was mainstream, I was both a Nintendo and Sega guy.  My favorite console was probably the SNES but I liked early PC gaming just as much.  My most unique console was the Sega CD, I'll still wager Sonic CD was the best Sonic game.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 02, 2017, 10:03:24 AM
The last console I ever bought was a PS3 which mainly was for playing PS1/PS2 stuff.  I have everything from an Atari 2600 up to that PS3 that was mainstream, I was both a Nintendo and Sega guy.  My favorite console was probably the SNES but I liked early PC gaming just as much.  My most unique console was the Sega CD, I'll still wager Sonic CD was the best Sonic game.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles wants a word with you.  :-P
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 02, 2017, 10:25:59 AM

Sonic 3 & Knuckles wants a word with you.  :-P

See the thing is that I actually really prefer both the American and Japanese soundtracks to Sonic CD over Sonic 3 & Knuckles.  I used to play the music directly off the CD when I was a kid and you had to enter the debug menu in Sonic 3 & Knuckles to do the same thing.  All the past themes (especially Wacky Workbench and Stardust Speedway) are awesome, almost all versions of the bad future themes are really good too....my personal favorite would have to the Japanese Tidal Tempest bad future.

roadman

This poll (and thread) demonstrates the basic problem with video games - they require a proprietary platform to use them, and games are not compatible across platforms.  Also, unlike records, cassettes, CDs, etc., to play the latest games you need to upgrade your platform, which also generally will not allow you to play the older games.

One of several reasons I personally never got into gaming.  I'll stick with model railroading, where a 1960s Varney F Unit can still run on the same track that a 2015 Athearn Genesis AC-6000 can.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Sanctimoniously

I just have an original Xbox. Most of my favorite games were best enjoyed on that hardware.
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 22, 2013, 06:27:29 AM
[tt]wow                 very cringe
        such clearview          must photo
much clinch      so misalign         wow[/tt]

See it. Live it. Love it. Verdana.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

spooky

The question is incomplete. Which video game console...

do you prefer?
do you own?
would you want with you in a fight?
would you bubble with in a Jane Child?

A lot of unspoken options.

Darkchylde

None of the new consoles appeal to me. My newest console is a Wii. My favorite is a tie between the SNES and Sega CD.

inkyatari

Quote from: spooky on August 02, 2017, 01:47:59 PM

do you own?

Atari       2600
              65 XE computer
              Ultimate Flashback Portable
Coleco     Adam
Nintendo Wii
              Wii U
              DSi
Sega       Master System
              Ultimate Genesis Portable

EDIT:

I forgot that I also have a Sega Saturn that I do not know if it works.  No games, controller, AV hookup, or power supply.

Rothman

Atari 2600, second generation.  Had a first generation Atari 2600 when I was a kid that died.
Nintendo (Orig)
Super Nintendo
Xbox (Orig)

I think that's it, but feels like I'm missing something.  Still have a VCR. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Darkchylde

Quote from: spooky on August 02, 2017, 01:47:59 PM
do you own?
Wii
Gamecube with Gameboy Player
Nintendo 64
SNES
NES
Genesis
PS2
XBox
XBox 360 (okay, that one's the fiancee's, but I use it sometimes)

cjk374

Intellivision was the best. I have the new retro version my wife got me for Christmas a few years ago. This one has 60 games built into it (no cartridges), the original style controllers, and the old-school overlays that slide into the controllers to just a few of the games. So simple, yet so fun!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

inkyatari

Quote from: cjk374 on August 02, 2017, 04:58:04 PM
Intellivision was the best. I have the new retro version my wife got me for Christmas a few years ago. This one has 60 games built into it (no cartridges), the original style controllers, and the old-school overlays that slide into the controllers to just a few of the games. So simple, yet so fun!

I want the flashback.

I have very limited experience with the Intellivision, but have always wanted one.  I know this is heresy, but I wasn't a fan of Burgertime on it.  That controller was just not well suited to it, and the levels in the game didn't represent the arcade levels.

I did enjoy the AD&D Cloudy Mountain game on it.

Rothman

There was this one game for Intellivision that I loved -- Motocross.  Make your own dirt bike tracks!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

cjk374

Quote from: inkyatari on August 03, 2017, 09:59:31 AM

I want the flashback.

I have very limited experience with the Intellivision, but have always wanted one.  I know this is heresy, but I wasn't a fan of Burgertime on it.  That controller was just not well suited to it, and the levels in the game didn't represent the arcade levels.

I did enjoy the AD&D Cloudy Mountain game on it.

On the Flashback console, AD&D is under a new name: Crown of Kings. But the gameplay is all the same.

The Flashback console even comes with some of the classic glitches the original had. Playing Royal Dealer last night, my hand started having the card slots light up in weird colors, even though I had no cards. I discarded my last card, but I didn't win be a use of these lit slots.

The cure is also the same...hit the reset button. Actually last night I had played long enough so I hit the power button & went to bed.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ET21

Quote from: csw on August 01, 2017, 10:36:29 PM
You know, you all are worried about online merchants, google, and your car gathering information on you.....I would be more worried about roadgeekteen's frequent and inquisitive surveys

I'm waiting for the "How much air do you inhale?" thread from him
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ET21 on August 04, 2017, 11:29:19 AM

Don't you dare give me ideas.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 04, 2017, 08:51:39 PM
Quote from: ET21 on August 04, 2017, 11:29:19 AM

Don't you dare give me ideas.

"What's your favorite emoji?"  :rolleyes:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

inkyatari

Quote from: inkyatari on August 02, 2017, 02:03:51 PM

Atari      7800

And I tried installing a composite video mod on it over the weekend, and now it doesn't work.

yakra

Quote from: roadman on August 02, 2017, 11:26:23 AM
One of several reasons I personally never got into gaming.  I'll stick with model railroading, where a 1960s Varney F Unit can still run on the same track that a 2015 Athearn Genesis AC-6000 can.
Never got into model railroading. This makes me wonder, are different track gauges a thing?

Intellivision was the best.
16-bit! ;)

Quote from: inkyatari on August 07, 2017, 08:53:09 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on August 02, 2017, 02:03:51 PM
Atari      7800
And I tried installing a composite video mod on it over the weekend, and now it doesn't work.
Ouch, that sucks! Did you ever get it working again?
Back in 2000-ish, I tried to mod my first Sega Saturn to play imported & burned games. It stopped working shortly thereafter. I shipped it off to some company to get repaired. The deal was, enclose a big check and a small check; if they could fix it they'd cash the big one, else they'd cash the small one for return shipping. They cashed the small one and I never got the system back. (Lost/misdirected mail, or shady dealings? Who knows!) Since it didn't work anyway, I didn't get worked up over it, not sure if I even followed up with them much. Over the years I always wanted to get another and have something to play my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga on, but it wasn't a big priority. Finally found one at Electric Buddhas in Portland in 2016. Hooked up a TV, played it for a few minutes... and then put it in a drawer. Finally in the last couple months, I replaced its battery so I could finally save games, found a serviceable TV in the crawl space, cleared out some space in my server rack, threw a few shelves in & hooked my old systems up. And I've been having a hell of a time!

The NES is expectedly a bit rickety in its old age. Gotta get the cartridge seated juust riight, and be gentle with the power button. It's zapped a saved game or two. Otherwise, it was a pleasant surprise to see 25-year-old saved games on carts that probably haven't been powered on in 15 years. The latter also goes for the SNES, which is in fine working order, as is the PS1 Finally got around to finishing Wild Arms tonight, after 20+ years.

The Turbo Duo has issues -- audio output is at a rather low level, with a perceptible 60-cycle buzz, occasionally briefly cutting to a normal volume & back. It won't play CD games, because it thinks the CD door is always open. Gotta keep researching how to fix this...

20 years in a drawer have likewise not been kind to the TurboExpress. No audio output at all AFAICT, and the Run button doesn't work, so playing any games is a non-starter.
Also gotta JP Game Boy with many columns of dead pixels on either side of the screen.

2000-2001ish, I picked up a TurboGrafx-CD for dirt cheap in a pawn shop. Didn't come with a power supply; have still never tested it.

2001-2002ish, trashpicked a Model 2 Genesis left behind when everyone was moving out of college. No power supply (some questionable things have been done to the adaptor port), no controller, no A/V hookup, no games, never tested. Given the circumstances, I expect it doesn't work.

About 10 years ago, my roommate was having trouble making rent one month, and sold me his Dreamcast for IIRC $30, then turned around & gave me the money right back to give to the landlord. :( Hooked it up for the first time ever this week.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Henry

I grew up in the Atari/NES age, so those are my favorite consoles of all time. As for the current models, I have no preference, although if I had to choose between the PS4 and Xbox 1, I'd probably pick the former.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ned Weasel

My most unique console was the Sega CD, I'll still wager Sonic CD was the best Sonic game.

I think we're in 100% agreement here!  I got a Sega CD mostly just because of "Sonic CD" (only to learn the game was released on a plethora of other platforms in the coming years), but "Sonic CD" is not only the best Sonic game; it's my favorite video game ever.

Also, as I've said elsewhere, I think the Sega CD could have actually been a good system if Sega built up its library and never bothered with the 32X.  I don't see anything wrong with an add-on console in itself (heck, if you have a Nintendo GameCube and get the Game Boy Advance add-on, it's actually really good), but having YET ANOTHER add-on--which also required its own power source, required a weird combination of cables just to get it to work properly, and had a whole assortment of compatibility and reliability issues--was, in my opinion, the first major self-injury to Sega's credibility as a console producer.  And then the Sega Saturn had memory problems.  The Dreamcast was good, but it was too late by then, and frankly, I think having memory cards that doubled as handheld game devices was kind of a lame gimmick.

Another issue with the Sega Genesis and its add-ons--  The design of the Sega Genesis Model 1 was PERFECT, because it worked with both models of the Sega CD (if you had the right parts), AND it worked with the Power Base Converter without having to saw the back of the Power Base Converter off (yes, that is a thing).  The Power Base Converter was REALLY GOOD because it took advantage of the Genesis's built-in backwards compatibility with Sega Master System hardware and allowed you to play all of the SMS games, even the card games, without needing an extra power supply.  But when the Genesis Model 2 came along, it was like, "Oops, this thing doesn't fit anymore."

(I used to be kind of a video game geek, but frankly, I think video games as a medium started to decline after 1994.  The Nintendo GameCube was the last console I ever had, and I sold it.  These days, I'd much rather play IRL physical games, but now I can't, because I'm trying to be socially responsible by social distancing.  So once in a while, I'll play a PC game until I get bored.)
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 13, 2020, 10:44:13 AM
My most unique console was the Sega CD, I'll still wager Sonic CD was the best Sonic game.

I think we're in 100% agreement here!  I got a Sega CD mostly just because of "Sonic CD" (only to learn the game was released on a plethora of other platforms in the coming years), but "Sonic CD" is not only the best Sonic game; it's my favorite video game ever.

Also, as I've said elsewhere, I think the Sega CD could have actually been a good system if Sega built up its library and never bothered with the 32X.  I don't see anything wrong with an add-on console in itself (heck, if you have a Nintendo GameCube and get the Game Boy Advance add-on, it's actually really good), but having YET ANOTHER add-on--which also required its own power source, required a weird combination of cables just to get it to work properly, and had a whole assortment of compatibility and reliability issues--was, in my opinion, the first major self-injury to Sega's credibility as a console producer.  And then the Sega Saturn had memory problems.  The Dreamcast was good, but it was too late by then, and frankly, I think having memory cards that doubled as handheld game devices was kind of a lame gimmick.

Another issue with the Sega Genesis and its add-ons--  The design of the Sega Genesis Model 1 was PERFECT, because it worked with both models of the Sega CD (if you had the right parts), AND it worked with the Power Base Converter without having to saw the back of the Power Base Converter off (yes, that is a thing).  The Power Base Converter was REALLY GOOD because it took advantage of the Genesis's built-in backwards compatibility with Sega Master System hardware and allowed you to play all of the SMS games, even the card games, without needing an extra power supply.  But when the Genesis Model 2 came along, it was like, "Oops, this thing doesn't fit anymore."

(I used to be kind of a video game geek, but frankly, I think video games as a medium started to decline after 1994.  The Nintendo GameCube was the last console I ever had, and I sold it.  These days, I'd much rather play IRL physical games, but now I can't, because I'm trying to be socially responsible by social distancing.  So once in a while, I'll play a PC game until I get bored.)
Video games declined after 1994? But most games were still 2d in 1994!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.