News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Scariest bridge you've ever driven across

Started by bugo, June 15, 2010, 04:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2017, 12:57:21 PM
On Saturday, my wife and I took a short trip to Arkansas for our 11th anniversary.  On the way there, we took a scenic route, and that included AR-187 across the Little Golden Gate Bridge in the town of Beaver.  My wife has a fear of bridges over water, so I made sure not to tell her about this bridge until we were almost upon it.  She was brave:  even though the sound of the boards clunking underneath our car unnerved her, she was the one who took the pictures.  The bridge is one lane with wooden decking.  And yes, it's part of a state highway.

With the recent flooding in the area, Beaver Bridge looks a little different now...

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Tonytone

The Cowingo Dam-Bridge? Its Also a state highway, Its pretty narrow on the bridge and trucks love taking this way. The view is nice tho  :bigass:
Promoting Cities since 1998!

sparker

Quote from: kphoger on May 02, 2017, 12:11:30 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 06, 2017, 12:57:21 PM
On Saturday, my wife and I took a short trip to Arkansas for our 11th anniversary.  On the way there, we took a scenic route, and that included AR-187 across the Little Golden Gate Bridge in the town of Beaver.  My wife has a fear of bridges over water, so I made sure not to tell her about this bridge until we were almost upon it.  She was brave:  even though the sound of the boards clunking underneath our car unnerved her, she was the one who took the pictures.  The bridge is one lane with wooden decking.  And yes, it's part of a state highway.

With the recent flooding in the area, Beaver Bridge looks a little different now...

Yikes!!!  From the "drier days" pictures, it's likely that the approach road(s) were inundated as well.  Sympathies to anyone living or traveling in that valley.  Similar incidents have occurred in our general area in the past few months, particularly up on the Russian River near Guerneville and Rio Nido (bridges overrun, approaches washed out, etc.). 

Roadgeekteen

Tappen zee bridge, but I have not really been on many bridges.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ClevePVU

The FM1960 bridge over Lake Houston back when it was two lanes with no shoulders or guardrails...scary as hell when you're 6.

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

cl94

A candidate here, while not nearly as scary as most, is the Northumberland Bridge carrying US 4 over the Hudson River between Northumberland and Greenwich, NY. 100 year-old steel deck bridge that is roughly 18 feet wide. It is NOT fun encountering a truck on that thing and 2 trucks cannot safely pass. Due to its length and difficulty in seeing one approach from the other, it should probably have signals restricting it to one-way traffic.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

JJBers

Portsmouth Bridge, in between Maine and New Hampshire....hey, I was 6 at the time.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Sctvhound

The two lane SC 41 bridge over the Wando River used to be one of the scariest bridges in the Charleston area. It just got replaced by a high bridge, as it opened this Friday. It was a bridge that opened up, and the lanes were very narrow.

Throckmorton

There are scarier bridges, I'm sure, and I've probably crossed some of them. But the Astoria-Megler bridge always freaks me out.   

Proceed with caution

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Mackinac Bridge: It was much more unnerving to me crossing it as the driver than when I did as the passenger.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge: Part of this admittedly was that I would be driving over it in the dark when I was exhausted after a miserable travel day from MSP to BWI.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: Throckmorton on October 21, 2017, 10:36:18 AM
There are scarier bridges, I'm sure, and I've probably crossed some of them. But the Astoria-Megler bridge always freaks me out.

I've driven over it more than a few times, but it's never crossed my mind as being scary. Long, but not scary.

The scary part for me was having to deal with Oregon drivers once I crossed over it.

theline

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 21, 2017, 03:59:09 PM
Mackinac Bridge: It was much more unnerving to me crossing it as the driver than when I did as the passenger.

Agreed. I think the difference with this bridge is that it seems to be so much higher than others because of the extremely flat terrain and lack of buildings around it.

bugo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2017, 06:54:58 PM
That's pretty cool, apparently it is the only suspension bridge open in Arkansas.  Weird thing is that there is an article on Wikipedia about the Beaver Bridge but not Arkansas 187...  At least that's not all that high above the water table.

There is a suspension bridge near Allison in Stone County over Sylamore Creek. It formerly carried AR 14. I visited it in 1996 and drove across it. It is apparently still open to traffic.

http://bridgehunter.com/ar/stone/sylamore/

There is also a suspension bridge in Boone County that was originally an auto bridge but is now only open to pedestrians. It is very narrow.

http://bridgehunter.com/ar/boone/haggards-ford/

The construction of Greers Ferry Lake wiped out several suspension bridges. There was another suspension bridge nearby that survived the dam's construction but collapsed in 1985 when some dumbasses in a church group swang the bridge back and forth, causing it to fail.

http://bridgehunter.com/ar/cleburne/winkley/

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

D-Dey65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 03, 2017, 04:33:23 PM
Tappen zee bridge, but I have not really been on many bridges.
When I traveled the Metro-North Hudson Line last week, I saw they were tearing that bridge down.

Skye

I don't know about scary, but I feel uncomfortable on the lower deck (northbound) Brent Spence Bridge (I-71/I-75 KY to OH).  The lanes are narrow, there's a lot of traffic and a lot of cars changing lanes.  I typically avoid changing lanes and only drive about 45-50 mph on the bridge.

Hurricane Rex

There were no scary driving bridges. Walking bridges, a few in my hikes were badly eroded.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

ColossalBlocks

The US 45 Brookport bridge... At least for my better half.  :-D
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

kphoger

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 07, 2018, 05:37:56 AM
Walking bridges

Early in my parents' marriage (a few years before I was born), they lived across I-64 from Barnes—Jewish Hospital in Saint Louis.  My mom was a nurse at the hospital, and she was walking across this pedestrian overpass on her way home one night when a man attacked her.  She beat him off with her purse.  Go mom!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on January 07, 2018, 09:41:45 PM
The US 45 Brookport bridge... At least for my better half.  :-D

Same here.  My young wife was not amused when I took her across that bridge on our way to Paducah to rent a moving truck.  She was even less amused on our way back when she found out there was another, perfectly fine, less scary way across the Ohio–I-24.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

If we're doing walking bridges, a disused railroad trestle across a canyon at Stampede Pass, Washington.  Out of use for probably 10 years at that point, I think it's been reactivated and rebuilt since.  Probably 100 feet high and 1 mile long.    No solid decking, just beams about 1 1/2 feet apart except where they were missing.  Track had been removed.  Solo, no other people within sight or hearing.  Generally a stupid thing to do; don't try this at home.  But it didn't fall down, and I didn't trip and fall; thanks to the good work of legions of anonymous Chinese 19th century laborers.

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on January 08, 2018, 04:07:49 PM
If we're doing walking bridges, a disused railroad trestle across a canyon at Stampede Pass, Washington.  Out of use for probably 10 years at that point, I think it's been reactivated and rebuilt since.  Probably 100 feet high and 1 mile long.    No solid decking, just beams about 1 1/2 feet apart except where they were missing.  Track had been removed.  Solo, no other people within sight or hearing.  Generally a stupid thing to do; don't try this at home.  But it didn't fall down, and I didn't trip and fall; thanks to the good work of legions of anonymous Chinese 19th century laborers.

Until I was eight years old, I lived at a dead end right by a railroad in New Lenox, IL.  Nowadays that track is used by Metra SouthWest Service but, back then in the late 1980s, it was only used by a couple of freight trains a day, and one of those was at night.  My friends and I grew up playing along those tracks.  One day, we decided to walk along the track farther than we ever had before, and we decided to cross this trestle over the Rock Island line.  There was no solid decking, just railroad ties with empty space between them.  When we were halfway across, a train down below on the Rock Island line blew its whistle.  HOLY CRAP!!!  I thought it was a train directly behind us.  I literally jumped back several feet, fortunately landing on another railroad tie and not the space between.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.