News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-69 in TX

Started by Grzrd, October 09, 2010, 01:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwb1848

This is an outrage. According to the schematic, this work will displace no fewer than two barbecue restaurants!

I-39

Quote from: mwb1848 on June 27, 2017, 06:22:16 PM
This is an outrage. According to the schematic, this work will displace no fewer than two barbecue restaurants!

The horror.......  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

sparker

Quote from: I-39 on June 27, 2017, 07:35:49 PM
Quote from: mwb1848 on June 27, 2017, 06:22:16 PM

The horror.......  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

But -- are they really, really good barbeque joints?  However....it's Texas, so even a so-so BBQ place is probably better than a superb restaurant elsewhere!

Grzrd

TxDOT held an Open House on June 27 For Future I-69 at Redland, north of Lufkin:

Assuming all goes to plan, money is set aside for a contract letting in Summer 2022.

Grzrd

Still more slow, incremental progress. TxDOT has issued a Notice Affording Opportunity for Public Hearing for a segment of US 59/Future I-69 in Victoria:

Purpose:   TxDOT is the lead agency proposing to add frontage roads to United States (US) 59 from Farm to Market (FM) 1686 to State Loop (LP) 463 east of the City of Victoria, Victoria County, Texas.   This notice advises the public that draft environmental documents are available for public review and that TxDOT is affording an opportunity for a public hearing on the proposed project.
Description:   The project proposes to construct southbound and northbound one-way frontage roads along US 59 consisting of two 12-foot travel lanes with 10-foot outside shoulders and 4-foot inside shoulders.
The proposed frontage roads would be separated from the main lanes by a grass median.  The proposed project would also construct an overpass approximately midway through the project limits as well as construct additional entrance and exit ramps.  The purpose of the proposed project is to upgrade this section of US 59 to meet interstate standards.

sparker

Quote from: Grzrd on July 06, 2017, 11:20:07 AM
Still more slow, incremental progress. TxDOT has issued a Notice Affording Opportunity for Public Hearing for a segment of US 59/Future I-69 in Victoria:

Purpose:   TxDOT is the lead agency proposing to add frontage roads to United States (US) 59 from Farm to Market (FM) 1686 to State Loop (LP) 463 east of the City of Victoria, Victoria County, Texas.   This notice advises the public that draft environmental documents are available for public review and that TxDOT is affording an opportunity for a public hearing on the proposed project.
Description:   The project proposes to construct southbound and northbound one-way frontage roads along US 59 consisting of two 12-foot travel lanes with 10-foot outside shoulders and 4-foot inside shoulders.
The proposed frontage roads would be separated from the main lanes by a grass median.  The proposed project would also construct an overpass approximately midway through the project limits as well as construct additional entrance and exit ramps.  The purpose of the proposed project is to upgrade this section of US 59 to meet interstate standards.

Has any agency or entity (TxDOT, the Alliance for I-69/Texas, etc.) put forth plans for the exact alignment of I-69 around Victoria:  will it remain on the 59 bypass around the south side of town and use the 59/77 interchange (suitably upgraded, of course) as the "splitting" point into 69E/69W? -- or would it somehow utilize the 463/77 northern loop, splitting 69 at the present 59/463 junction?  Intuitively, I'd guess the former -- although considering the time it took all parties involved to decide to run I-69 directly through Houston rather than bypass it on TX 99, it would be difficult to count out such alternatives being at least considered.   

Grzrd

Quote from: sparker on July 06, 2017, 12:25:40 PM
Has any agency or entity (TxDOT, the Alliance for I-69/Texas, etc.) put forth plans for the exact alignment of I-69 around Victoria:  will it remain on the 59 bypass around the south side of town and use the 59/77 interchange (suitably upgraded, of course) as the "splitting" point into 69E/69W? -- or would it somehow utilize the 463/77 northern loop, splitting 69 at the present 59/463 junction?  Intuitively, I'd guess the former -- although considering the time it took all parties involved to decide to run I-69 directly through Houston rather than bypass it on TX 99, it would be difficult to count out such alternatives being at least considered.

The Victoria Advocate has run an editorial suggesting the 463/77 northern loop:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3624.msg2045107#msg2045107

but the Alliance for I-69 Texas has a map showing use of the 59 bypass along the south side of town:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3624.msg2045207#msg2045207

Even though it seems the 59 bypass along the south side of town is the preference of the I-69 Committee, I suppose it is still an open question.

edit

Also, TxDOT may have tipped its hand by installing mileposts in Houston:

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 18, 2016, 06:26:10 PM
On a related note, a lot of US-59 through Houston, though approved to be signed as I-69, has yet be to be signed as such, at least as of last month when I traveled through that area.  I did notice that TxDOT did install mileposts on the Southwest Freeway from I-610 to at least Sugar Land.

i assume that, knowing "mile zero" is in Victoria, you could do the math and figure out which route was used as the basis for the mileposts.

O Tamandua

Was this bridge in Jefferson, TX ever going to be on the future I-369 route?  It just got hit by containers off a derailed train:

http://www.ksla.com/story/35834420/hwy-59-shut-down-in-jefferson-tx-after-2-trains-collide

The Ghostbuster

If it was, it probably won't be now.

sparker

Quote from: O Tamandua on July 07, 2017, 03:15:01 PM
Was this bridge in Jefferson, TX ever going to be on the future I-369 route?  It just got hit by containers off a derailed train:

http://www.ksla.com/story/35834420/hwy-59-shut-down-in-jefferson-tx-after-2-trains-collide

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 07, 2017, 04:52:59 PM
If it was, it probably won't be now.

While this bridge is part of US 59, it's in downtown Jefferson and well away from any upgradeable divided sectionsl of that route; almost certainly a I-369 bypass of the town would be in order.  This particular bridge crosses over both the main UP line between DFW and Little Rock and the KCS line from Dallas to Shreveport; the lines cross almost under the bridge itself (this was probably the locale if not the reason for the RR collision).  Haven't read any reports about this accident (it'll probably show up next week on my weekly Trains magazine headlines section), but from the angle shown it looks as if the container train pictured was on the UP tracks.  It could be the fault of either of the train crews; it could be a signaling failure -- but either way, someone's ass will be in a sling in short order -- particularly when the bill from TxDOT shows up at the RR determined to be at fault!

BTW, that must be a really old bridge; current rail clearances are substantially higher.

codyg1985

Wow, both rail lines are curving as they cross one another at the bridge.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

sparker

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 11, 2017, 04:30:26 PM

I'd be curious as to the weather & visibility conditions at the time of the collision; if signal visibility was questionable, then that crossing, configured as it is, was and is essentially an accident that was waiting to happen.  I've driven through this neck of the woods many times (tons of relatives within 50 miles of this place), and I've seen visibility limited to a half-block or less during downpours -- and my stopping distance, at its worst, is a microscopic percentage of that of a loaded container train!   

cjk374

Quote from: sparker on July 12, 2017, 12:45:36 AM

I'd be curious as to the weather & visibility conditions at the time of the collision; if signal visibility was questionable, then that crossing, configured as it is, was and is essentially an accident that was waiting to happen.  I've driven through this neck of the woods many times (tons of relatives within 50 miles of this place), and I've seen visibility limited to a half-block or less during downpours -- and my stopping distance, at its worst, is a microscopic percentage of that of a loaded container train!   

The weather was sunny & hot. The problem was that the cars that hit the UP stack train were runaways. (according to scuttlebutt I am hearing).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sparker

Quote from: cjk374 on July 12, 2017, 06:32:59 AM
Quote from: sparker on July 12, 2017, 12:45:36 AM

The weather was sunny & hot. The problem was that the cars that hit the UP stack train were runaways. (according to scuttlebutt I am hearing).

If that proves to be the case, that would mean they were on KCS trackage.  Runaway cars -- particularly on a major railroad -- is an inexcusable occurrence; one that will likely cost KCS dearly (and someone in their Texas division their job!). 

bwana39

No, this bridge would probably never have been on I369. It is in a high density area. Literally this is right in the middle of town.  I would expect that the freeway will probably loop to the west of town.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 06, 2015, 11:15:34 AM
Quote from: Grzrd on October 28, 2012, 10:00:42 AM
This article reports that the next I-69 project in the greater Houston area ... will extend north from the current end of I-69 near the Montgomery County/ Liberty County county line to the recently completed 105 Loop near Cleveland
TxDOT will hold an Open House for this project on November 19:
.... The proposed US 59 as I-69 would be converted from a four-lane divided highway to a six-lane divided, access-controlled freeway, with one-way frontage roads.
Additional changes to the project since the last open house meeting conducted on May 13, 2013 include the following:
-Modify US 59 main lanes curve at State Loop 573
-Revise the intersection at US 59 and State Loop 573; the northbound frontage road will follow the US 59 main lanes, instead of the northbound frontage road becoming State Loop 573
-Reverse the entrance and exit ramps between SH 105 and State Loop 573
-Add a right-turn lane to the southbound frontage road at the SH 105 connector

TxDOT has posted a Notice of Draft Environmental Assessment and Opprtunity For Public Hearing For the segement of US 59/ Future I-69 from the Montgomery/Liberty county line to State Loop 573:

Purpose:   TxDOT is proposing roadway improvements along approximately 4.7 miles of the existing alignment of US 59 extending from Fostoria Road near the Montgomery/Liberty County line to State Loop 573 in Liberty County, Texas ....
Description:   The proposed project would include:
* Expanding the existing 4-lane divided highway to a 6-lane divided freeway with continuous 2-lane frontage roads in each direction
* Replacing or adding bridges at Pin Oak Road, the East Fork of the San Jacinto River, and at the connector to Loop 105
* Installing sidewalks on the outside of the proposed southbound frontage road
* Constructing 8-foot wide shared use lanes for bicycles on the northbound and southbound frontage lanes
* Improving drainage

Here is a snip of the map of the project area:

chays

The I-69 Texas Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69_in_Texas) is now showing exit numbers for most of I-69 (not the suffixed sections).  Has anyone on this board been able to ground-truth this?

codyg1985

Some of the verification can be found on Street View.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

cenlaroads

Quote from: chays on August 08, 2017, 05:21:42 PM
The I-69 Texas Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_69_in_Texas) is now showing exit numbers for most of I-69 (not the suffixed sections).  Has anyone on this board been able to ground-truth this?

I saw the numbered signs for the exits between Greenbriar Dr. and I-610 West last week on the southbound lanes, but there were no numbered signs past 610.  I may check tomorrow to see if any new signs have been posted.  If I go that way, I will try to remember to take some photos.

GreenLanternCorps

As of right now, what sections of I-69 in Texas have active construction?

If memory serves, there is construction at Rosenburg at the South end of the Southwest Freeway and Construction on I-69E South of I-37.

Is there any other active construction or any construction scheduled to start in the next year on the I-69 route in Texas?

MaxConcrete

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on November 06, 2017, 09:35:15 AM
Is there any other active construction or any construction scheduled to start in the next year on the I-69 route in Texas?

The only major project that appears on the letting schedule for FY 2018 (which runs through August 2018) is the $110 million Driscoll bypass for US 77 (IH 69E) just south of Corpus.
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2018/nueces.htm#010216001

There is also a $18 million project to add main lanes to 3.6 miles of SH 44 near Corpus, but this section of SH 44 is not on the IH 69 system (it is east of IH 69E)
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2018/nueces.htm#010201088
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

It seems like TX DOT would try to at least get ROW acquisition underway for some of the bypasses still needed, such as I-69C/US-281 in Premont, I-69W in Freer, the I-69C/I-69W junction in George West, I-69W in Beeville and Goliad. A bunch of the other stretches of existing US-59, US-281 and US-77 appear to have plenty of ROW. But the ROW costs in those towns will continue to rise each year the ROW isn't at least acquired, never mind when the bypasses themselves are actually built.

sparker

Quote from: MaxConcrete on November 06, 2017, 07:49:50 PM
There is also a $18 million project to add main lanes to 3.6 miles of SH 44 near Corpus, but this section of SH 44 is not on the IH 69 system (it is east of IH 69E)
http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgchart/cmd/cserve/let/2018/nueces.htm#010201088

IIRC, TX 44 east to TX 358 and TX 358 north to I-37 were part of the Freer-Corpus addition authorized last year, which makes sense, as the main purpose of the TX 44 sub-corridor was to enhance the P.O.E. Laredo connection with the Port of Corpus Christi.  AFAIK, no designation for this segment has been discussed or proposed to date. 

J N Winkler

TxDOT is currently experimenting with putting early review plans online.  One of these is a US 59 upgrade to rural freeway in Victoria County (Yoakum district), which presumably will become part of I-69 once finished.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

theroadwayone

I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but when I-69 is completed, in Texas, and overall, how long will it be?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.