News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Adventures in Utah signage

Started by CL, January 22, 2011, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Those God-awful mismatched JCT banners.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US 89

I don't have any pictures, but I drove I-15 through Point of the Mountain today. And I found that the I-15 and US-89 concurrency now has dual signage reassurance markers!  :sombrero: And in one case, there was a US-89 marker by itself without a 15 one next to it -- on I-15! I don't think 89 is signed from the intersecting streets, but it's a start.

Unfortunately, there is an END 85 sign at the intersection of 2100 North and Redwood Rd, where 85 should turn right concurrent with 68.

Also, the new SR-135 on Pleasant Grove Blvd is now signed from I-15.

Rothman

Heh.  There hasn't been a point to the mountain since before the Olympics.  Got mined away. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on June 19, 2017, 02:27:22 PM
Heh.  There hasn't been a point to the mountain since before the Olympics.  Got mined away. :D

Good point. I think that there should be a North Point of the Mountain where I-15 crosses from Salt Lake to Davis county. Of course, that is getting mined away as well...

CL

For whatever reason, UDOT loves to replace signs that are perfectly fine and practically brand new.

Take this example. I-80 westbound at the airport interchange. (Apologies for the Google Street View.)

2011 (probably the original signs from the '80s), 2013, 2017. All different signs.

Or I-80 eastbound at the same location. 2011, 2014, 2017. Just love Ogden in series C and Provo in series E(M) on the newest signs. Well done.

Or I-80 eastbound, just beyond the Redwood Rd exit (the overpass). 2011, 2012, and 2017.

Okay, you get the point. Virtually every sign on I-80 in this area got replaced in 2012/2013 and then again in 2017. UDOT's penchant for discarding perfectly good BGSs after five years beggars belief.

Anyway. A few more (brand new) signs with their predecessors that were only up for eight years. Taken in 2011 and 2017.

No, the lane configuration did not change between 2011 and 2017. Why do we now post signs where it looks like both right lanes must exit, when that's only the case for the right lane?

Okay. One more photo. Can anyone explain what's going on here?

Infrastructure. The city.

US 89

Quote from: CL on January 10, 2018, 06:48:26 PM
For whatever reason, UDOT loves to replace signs that are perfectly fine and practically brand new.

-snipped pictures-

No, the lane configuration did not change between 2011 and 2017. Why do we now post signs where it looks like both right lanes must exit, when that's only the case for the right lane?

I think the airport signs may have even been replaced three times, since the A and B exits were switched. But I’m not going to complain, because I really like the state-named Interstate shields, and I don’t like the outlined US shields. Plus the newer signs are usually better overall. My only complaint would be the removal of those button-copy signs at the mouth of Parleys, which was done this past summer.

As for the confusing arrows, they were briefly discussed in this thread, where the consensus was that that’s the current standard, and it causes more problems than it solves.

US 89

I recently had the opportunity to drive the 40/189 concurrency and take some photos. The beehive 189's that Rover posted in the other thread have been replaced with proper US 189s.

Eastbound, just after the beginning at I-80:

Eastbound, between Exit 2 and 4:

I didn't get a picture, but there was a proper US 40/189 just after Exit 4 eastbound as well.

Westbound, between Exit 4 and 2:

Westbound, after Exit 2:

Still no indication that US 189 is supposed to follow I-80 eastbound:

And no signage from the intersecting roads, even in Wasatch County. This was from SR-248 eastbound:

No mention of 189 from I-80 eastbound either, and the signs on eastbound I-80 were actually put up just this past summer:

mrsman

Quote from: CL on January 10, 2018, 06:48:26 PM

Take this example. I-80 westbound at the airport interchange. (Apologies for the Google Street View.)

2011 (probably the original signs from the '80s), 2013, 2017. All different signs.

It's bad to waste taxpayer money replacing perfectly good signs.  It's tragic when the replacement signs in 2017 are worse than the old signs and look like they have been placed by the Craig County, OK sign dept.

What's up with that kooky font?  : :eyebrow:

US 89

Quote from: mrsman on February 04, 2018, 04:39:45 PM
It's bad to waste taxpayer money replacing perfectly good signs.  It's tragic when the replacement signs in 2017 are worse than the old signs and look like they have been placed by the Craig County, OK sign dept.

What's up with that kooky font?  : :eyebrow:

The only proper change with the new signs is that the A and B suffixes were switched so that they were in the correct order. Also, Bangerter should have a SR-154 shield.

As for the font, that's Utah for you. The too-large text was used on quite a few of the new signs which went up this past summer. There are also several signs scattered around with oversized capitals and too-small lowercase letters, like this:

US 89

Just today I discovered an old button copy sign on northbound Lagoon Drive in Farmington, just after passing the State Street bridge in Farmington. I'm going to go back and get a real photo, but for now here's a GSV.

That makes two three two button copy signs in Utah I'm aware of. This one probably dates from the construction of I-15 in the early 1970s.

US 89

Here's a photo of that Farmington button-copy:

Also, I had no idea there were any US 89 cutouts left on the I-70 concurrency. This is just after the SR-259 interchange, and it might be the only one left.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: US 89 on July 10, 2018, 10:46:45 AM
Here's a photo of that Farmington button-copy:

Also, I had no idea there were any US 89 cutouts left on the I-70 concurrency. This is just after the SR-259 interchange, and it might be the only one left.

Where's the other button copy sign?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

US 89

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on July 10, 2018, 12:18:31 PM
Where's the other button copy sign?

It's on US 89 southbound in North Salt Lake, just before the I-15 interchange. (I need to go get a better photo...)

There are probably more button copy signs out there somewhere, but these could very well be the last ones in the greater Salt Lake area. There were several in the I-80/215 east interchange, but they were all replaced last summer.

CL

I'm sorry, but is that... is that the typeface the United Kingdom uses on their road signs?

In Utah?

Looking northbound on US-89 approaching SR-12 in rural southern Utah...

Same junction, just southbound.
Infrastructure. The city.

J N Winkler

Quote from: CL on December 14, 2020, 11:15:47 PMI'm sorry, but is that... is that the typeface the United Kingdom uses on their road signs?

Yes, but the capital letter sizes look a little odd on the first pair of signs.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Transport looks more at home in a US signage context than I would have expected.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

US 89

I have a photo of these very signs from summer 2018 and somehow never noticed the font.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.