News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Stillwater Bridge

Started by on_wisconsin, August 21, 2011, 11:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

The opening of the bridge, which has already been delayed to Fall 2017 may now be further delayed due to a contractor screw-up where they didn't give themselves enough space for the equipment used to tighten the bridge cables, which may result in having to demolish and rebuild that part of the structure entirely.

By the way, Lunda Construction is the same company that MnDOT eventually fired from the I-494 Wakota Bridge rebuild due to repeated fuckups, although Lunda won the re-bid.

http://kstp.com/news/mndot-concerns-work-stalled-st-croix-crossing-bridge-minnesota-department-of-transportation-lunda-construction/4238574/?cat=1
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Brandon

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 20, 2016, 02:54:15 AM
The opening of the bridge, which has already been delayed to Fall 2017 may now be further delayed due to a contractor screw-up where they didn't give themselves enough space for the equipment used to tighten the bridge cables, which may result in having to demolish and rebuild that part of the structure entirely.

By the way, Lunda Construction is the same company that MnDOT eventually fired from the I-494 Wakota Bridge rebuild due to repeated fuckups, although Lunda won the re-bid.

http://kstp.com/news/mndot-concerns-work-stalled-st-croix-crossing-bridge-minnesota-department-of-transportation-lunda-construction/4238574/?cat=1

Sometimes, public bids can really suck.  And yes, I'm speaking from experience here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hobsini2

That's ridiculous. How could they not realize how much space was needed?

BTW, do you have any new pics of the bridge construction?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

quickshade

http://kstp.com/news/st-croix-crossing-contractor-osha-regulations-lunda-construction-mndot-minnesota-department-of-transportation/4239917/

Seems thats not the only problem the company has. Having worked with OSHA before they aren't extremely harsh unless the violations are idiotic. Most times they want to make you aware of the issues and see you correct them.

Alps

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 20, 2016, 02:54:15 AM

Sounds like what MnDOT needs to do is delist this particular contractor from their approval list. (Or make a list if they don't have one.)

texaskdog

I saw the bridge Friday but couldn't get pictures.  I saw MN 5 has been truncated somewhere now

froggie

Back to MN 120, as got discussed last year in another thread.

texaskdog

Which sadly I actually commented on and forgot about it.  Did notice I focused more on how they should move 5 to Shepard Road.

Mdcastle

Haven't had much luck this year with pictures. The first batch disappeared off my memory card and the second batch I had water in my lens...
IMG_9293 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_9435 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_9447 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_9449 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_9455 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_9456 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_9460 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

froggie

Pretty sure that's a Hazzard County Sheriff's car on the model...

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Mdcastle on August 24, 2016, 09:12:48 PM
the second batch I had water in my lens...

Those pictures must be a dream sequence. ;) :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

When will the new Stillwater Bridge be completed? The existing bridge is kind of dinky.

froggie

How about you read back through the thread?  It was just mentioned at the top of this page.

The Ghostbuster

Sorry, I must have slept through writing yesterday's post.

Mdcastle

Aug 2013
IMG_3035 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

July 2014
IMG_5631 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

June 2015
IMG_7376 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Today
IMG_9667 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

froggie

Nice progression series.  Can tell it's not exactly the same spot, but fairly close.

invincor

Has anyone heard of any updates on this story of the contractor needing to maybe demolish part of what they'd done to be able to fit the machinery inside?  Did they ever solve this without that drastic action?  Any timetable updates?

quickshade

invincor

Mdcastle

Mdcastle

The last of the structural concrete work on the bridge proper is done so there's an unbroken span across the river now. Opening day has been narrowed down to "August" instead of the previous "Fall".

Mdcastle

hobsini2

Looks good Mdcastle. How is the construction of the approaches coming? Are the finished already?
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Mdcastle

MN approach has not changed since the previous picture except the eastbound off-ramp has been restriped for one-way traffic. Northbound to Westbound and Eastbound to Northbound have the double left turn lanes open, but where the ramps meet the mainline they didn't temporarily widen it, so both directions narrow down to one lane at that point.

WI approach they still haven't backfilled against the abutment, so there's like a 15 foot drop coming off the bridge still.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.