News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Google Maps Street View

Started by nds76, December 15, 2011, 01:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

Quote from: kphoger on July 04, 2013, 11:12:21 AM
They should decide to do what Disney does, and take old street view shots out of the "vault" a few decades from now, with a bunch of hype attached.

Somebody needs to do a cheesy parody of the Disney commercials for the old street view shots.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

empirestate

They definitely did Nassau County, NY. Coulda used that when I was compiling my county route list there...

dfilpus

Last summer I drove past a Streetview car in west Durham NC. My car shows up in two Streetview images there now.

DSS5

They updated Boone, NC. I would have never realized if not for this thread. Awesome!  :D

Now they just need some new aerial imagery to replace the 5-year-old low-res mess that they have for the area now.

vdeane

I'd like for them to put in new imagery for Massena, NY/Cornwall, ON; they still show the old border crossing!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

andrewkbrown

Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

Zmapper

Bump, as I observed a Street View car up close.

I encountered a Street View car in a parking lot yesterday. I walked around the car peering into the windows for about a minute or two, before the driver exited the building to their car. The driver stated that they worked for a temp agency as opposed to Google Directly, and didn't seemed too pleased that I was taking pictures of the car while they were inside a nearby business.

Of note is the California license plate, despite being in Colorado. Inside, the rear seat is cluttered with cardboard boxes. In the passenger seat, a Netgear wireless router is on the floor, with a desktop monitor and keyboard precariously sitting on the actual seat. Two "cord tubes" protrude from the top of the right-rear window to the camera unit attached on top of the vehicle. Due to the rain (which is also why I don't have any presentable pictures; the camera kept focusing on the rain drops), the camera unit was covered with a black fitted cover.

roadman65

I thought this here photo taken along US 9W at the NY-NJ Border is an interesting find of the Welcome To New York sign bent over backwards off its moorings.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.001358,-73.911717,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1syULTepP62MhnVsGODfiITw!2e0

I thought that I would make a thread for any other interesting finds on Google that anyone here has noticed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

adventurernumber1

The reason some images are blurry and some aren't is because some images are older than others. Many images taken around 2007-2010 are a little blurry, but images taken 2011-present are much less blurry. But Google Maps Street View is very convenient for the most part and I love it.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

mgk920

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on July 15, 2014, 12:59:30 AM
The reason some images are blurry and some aren't is because some images are older than others. Many images taken around 2007-2010 are a little blurry, but images taken 2011-present are much less blurry. But Google Maps Street View is very convenient for the most part and I love it.

They do use much higher resolution camera rigs now compared to a few years ago, but they also use software that automatically 'fuzzes' things that look (to the program) to be either license plates or human faces.  Thus you'll also see signs that are mysteriously fuzzed.

Mike

Jim920

Quote from: mgk920 on July 15, 2014, 10:30:07 AM

They do use much higher resolution camera rigs now compared to a few years ago, but they also use software that automatically 'fuzzes' things that look (to the program) to be either license plates or human faces.  Thus you'll also see signs that are mysteriously fuzzed.

Mike

I actually came across a street view where the person's face was not blurred out.  I found it last week but for the life of me I can't remember where is was!  The area was under construction and a worker was inside a tunnel sitting on some sort of metal truss., he had a look of "what the..?"

Edit:  I remember! Brisbane, Australia   http://goo.gl/maps/TPJM8

DaBigE

Quote from: mgk920 on July 15, 2014, 10:30:07 AM

Mike

I love the new resolution, but I despise the blurring of most street signs. It makes doing a quick existing sign check for a project very difficult. :banghead:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

vdeane

In the event of sign blue I'm usually able to go backwards and zoom in to get a clear picture.  Not always though.  Vermont state highway shields are particularly problematic.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

Since this seems to be the thread for sightings of the Google StreetView car...well, I've never spotted it in the field yet. However, I did just now spot the Apple Maps van, which is their version of the same thing! It was in Putnam Valley, NY, some 50 miles north of NYC, which is one place where they've announced they'll be collecting data.

bandit957

Quote from: empirestate on June 26, 2015, 02:41:24 PM
Since this seems to be the thread for sightings of the Google StreetView car...well, I've never spotted it in the field yet.

I spotted it once while I was participating in a protest. I thought the protest would appear on Street View, but it did not.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

BamaZeus

It went through our business parking lot the other day and seemed to do the same at the next strip shopping center down.  I had never seen the GSV car actually enter a parking lot just to dart out the other side before.  I wonder if they were trying to get closeups for the business names, but half the time they blur those out anyway.

intelati49

Just found this oddity today. I don't think you're supposed to be there Google

Is this the right thread for "Google Street view oddities"?

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: intelati49 on June 29, 2015, 03:45:09 PM

Very strange that the GSV car managed to get through a closed road without moving the construction barriers.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

lordsutch

Quote from: intelati49 on June 29, 2015, 03:45:09 PM

Except if you follow the path back it's obvious there aren't any barriers in the way and there's no visible "ROAD CLOSED" sign in place, so the GSV car's path was presumptively legal. Someone else has moved the barriers aside and apparently forgot to put them back in place.

Buffaboy

Don't know where to put this, but I just saw a Street View car go by. I stuck my head out of the sunroof so I could get in the picture.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

briantroutman

Has anyone else noticed this?

In Street View, Google has added a "Google, Inc."  byline in the upper left corner, below the current location but above the date selector. Presumably, this means Google will be using alternate street view imagery providers in some situations...? Has anyone seen another provider listed?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: briantroutman on September 06, 2017, 03:21:24 PM
Has anyone else noticed this?

In Street View, Google has added a “Google, Inc.” byline in the upper left corner, below the current location but above the date selector. Presumably, this means Google will be using alternate street view imagery providers in some situations...? Has anyone seen another provider listed?

Users can submit panoramic shots to be used on street view, and it's always listed their names. I guess that Google just decided to standardize it and include their name on the shots they take as well.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheGrassGuy

Is there any law against street photography in national parks like there is on the George Washington Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing? Why is there only old street view on many roads in Acadia National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, and Crater Lake National Park?
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 21, 2021, 01:53:14 PM
Is there any law against street photography in national parks like there is on the George Washington Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing? Why is there only old street view on many roads in Acadia National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, and Crater Lake National Park?

Yellowstone is fully represented, so I have to believe that there's no blanket law against GSV in National Parks.  Border crossings are another story, both on the US and Canadian/Mexican side. 
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

US 89

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on February 21, 2021, 01:53:14 PM
Is there any law against street photography in national parks like there is on the George Washington Bridge and the Outerbridge Crossing?

I'd imagine security concerns are why major bridges like the GWB and Verrazano Narrows lack GSV. How valid those concerns might actually be is another matter...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.