AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ontario's Highways  (Read 174692 times)

AsphaltPlanet

• Last Login: March 29, 2017, 09:12:57 PM
Re: Ontario's Highways
« Reply #850 on: March 08, 2017, 09:28:13 PM »

Video of the 403 through Hamilton:

7/8

• Civil Eng Student at Waterloo (Co-op this Winter)

• Last Login: March 29, 2017, 10:01:51 PM
« Reply #851 on: March 15, 2017, 09:09:17 PM »

http://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Financial-Close-Highway-427-Expansion/

Contract Awarded for Highway 427 Expansion Project
March 14, 2017
Project will provide an enhanced freeway route into York Region

TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) announced today that LINK 427 has signed a fixed-priced contract to design, build, finance and maintain the Highway 427 expansion project.

The contract value of the Highway 427 expansion project is approximately $616M, which reflects payments to be made during construction, the substantial completion payment and the monthly service payments before inflation adjustments. Ongoing maintenance and repairs will ensure Highway 427 is kept in good condition over the contract term.

LINK 427 will focus on design work, and construction is expected to follow in 2017 with completion occurring in 2021. The Highway 427 expansion project includes:

A new 6.6 kilometer extension from Highway 7 to Major Mackenzie Drive with
  • Eight lanes from Highway 7 to Rutherford Road
  • Six lanes from Rutherford Road to Major Mackenzie Drive, and
  • Three interchanges: Langstaff Road, Rutherford Road and Major Mackenzie Drive
  • New median High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes
A 4 kilometer road widening from Finch Avenue to Highway 7
  • From six to eight lanes, Finch Avenue to south of Steeles Avenue
  • From four to eight lanes, from south of Steeles Avenue to Highway 7
  • New median High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes
Once construction is complete, LINK 427 will receive a substantial completion payment, followed by a series of monthly payments from the Province over a 30-year period. The 30-year period commences when construction is complete. These monthly payments cover routine maintenance, construction, lifecycle repair and renewal of the highway as well as project financing.

LINK 427's team includes:
  • Developer: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Brennan Infrastructures Inc. (a member of the Miller Group of Companies)
  • Construction: Dragados Canada Inc., Brennan Infrastructures Inc. and Bot Infrastructure Ltd.
  • Design: MMM Group Ltd. and Thurber Engineering Ltd.
  • Maintenance: ACS Infrastructure Canada Inc. and Brennan Infrastructures Inc.
LINK 427 estimates the majority of the labour will come from the Greater Toronto Area. There will be 250 workers on site at the peak of construction.

The Highway 427 expansion project underwent an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third party fairness advisor. LINK 427 submitted the proposal which delivers the best value for Ontario taxpayers.

I also found this map for the project, though it isn't as high-resolution as I hoped.

http://www.mob-rule.com/user/dscurtis
http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=7_8

"Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion, unobtrusive. Plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood"

compdude787

• Last Login: March 27, 2017, 03:09:16 AM
« Reply #852 on: March 16, 2017, 12:38:08 AM »

Makes sense, I'm not surprised that they're doing this, given growth of the suburbs northward. It's a good thing that a lot of land was left open in the area north of 427's current terminus. Sure cuts down on the amount of NIMBYs...  :-D

AlbertanRoad

• Nothing you need to know.

• Location: Alberta, Canada, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
  • Last Login: March 21, 2017, 11:56:20 PM
« Reply #853 on: March 16, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »

It's probably only Alberta and Ontario which have the most Parclo Interchanges although Ontario "invented" it. Like because I can see 3 Parclos of that map already
Do animals think we are animals to them like we think of them?- Me

Transportfan

• Last Login: March 29, 2017, 09:37:59 AM
« Reply #854 on: March 17, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »

I find it odd the MTO would build a full interchange at Langstaff Road. Seems like overkill for that road. A southbound entrance and northbound exit for directional rush hour traffic should have been sufficient.

Also, is Major Mackenzie supposed to be connected with the main section east of Hwy. 27?

7/8

• Civil Eng Student at Waterloo (Co-op this Winter)

• Last Login: March 29, 2017, 10:01:51 PM
« Reply #855 on: March 18, 2017, 12:05:21 AM »

http://www.mob-rule.com/user/dscurtis
http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=7_8

"Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion, unobtrusive. Plays that song that's so elusive and the magic music makes your morning mood"

cbeach40

• Last Login: Today at 02:11:20 AM
    • The Ontario Highwayman
« Reply #856 on: March 20, 2017, 11:10:19 AM »

Next phase in Hwy 401 widening through Cambridge was announced a few weeks ago.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/feds-putting-96m-into-highway-401-widening-in-cambridge-1.3260022#

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: March 29, 2017, 07:26:45 PM
« Reply #857 on: March 20, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »

Next phase in Hwy 401 widening through Cambridge was announced a few weeks ago.

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/feds-putting-96m-into-highway-401-widening-in-cambridge-1.3260022#

That's a good news to hear along with Hwy-427 extension althought for this one, I would had let a stub for a possible more northernly extension.

However, for Hwy-401 widening, I wonder if they have long range plans for a C-D setup in the WKC area? That area growed a lot recently and doesn't seem to slow down for now.

AsphaltPlanet

• Last Login: March 29, 2017, 09:12:57 PM
« Reply #858 on: March 20, 2017, 03:59:26 PM »

That's a good news to hear along with Hwy-427 extension althought for this one, I would had let a stub for a possible more northernly extension.

Though there are no immediate plans for a northern extension of Highway 427, the current design does not preclude an extension.  The existing configuration could be converted to a standard parclo pretty easily much the same way the end of the 403 was converted to a parclo when it was extended westerly from Ancaster.

cbeach40

• Last Login: Today at 02:11:20 AM
    • The Ontario Highwayman
« Reply #859 on: March 21, 2017, 11:24:43 PM »

However, for Hwy-401 widening, I wonder if they have long range plans for a C-D setup in the WKC area? That area growed a lot recently and doesn't seem to slow down for now.

No plans for core-collector in that area, just from Mississauga to Halton Road 25. West thereof would be a regular freeway widening.

For Waterloo Region, construction has begun on the new Kitchener-Guelph freeway, and upgrades in the near future to the Hanlon Expressway would provide an alternative freeway corridor to the north at least in that area.

Transportfan

• Last Login: March 29, 2017, 09:37:59 AM
« Reply #860 on: March 22, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »

Also, is Major Mackenzie supposed to be connected with the main section east of Hwy. 27?

I found this link on the York Region website, which talks about road widening and realignments on Major Mackenzie Drive. It mentions realigning the road to eliminate the need to follow Hwy 27, and a map is included. http://www.york.ca/wps/portal/yorkhome/newsroom/news/majormackenziedriveconstruction/!ut/p/a1/jZBBT4NAEIV_Sw8cywyrUPRGaihUqyZNlO6lWXBZVmGXLNsS--vdGi8arZ3bTL43894AhQKoYnspmJVasfbY02hLyGWUBXNcLtKrGeZP6-w-XIQBpsQBGwfgH5Xgf_rlGQeIWc1XAmjPbDOVqtZQdOxVm45Vb1wdJH8xcs8rrQZrdtXROTwDPbk4iH4CmD3EmKezx_AmzgK8JV_AiWjOu2h1-fmmTaLKi9iZNLzmhht_Z9y4sbYfrj30cBxHX2gtWu5XzMPfFI0eLBTfQOi74nBXr_MpLd_HZDL5AHx_4do!/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/#.WMyw6uus-rU

I'm surprised Major Mack is going to widened to six lanes, considering that it is only four  lanes further east. I foresee traffic congestion at Hwy. 50, seeing as there's no road on the Brampton side to tie into to continue west.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:35:32 AM by Transportfan »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.