News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Soda vs. Pop

Started by DaBigE, January 13, 2013, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you call that carbonated refreshment?

Soda
41 (52.6%)
Pop
23 (29.5%)
Coke
5 (6.4%)
Soda-pop
1 (1.3%)
Cola
1 (1.3%)
Fizzy Drink
1 (1.3%)
Other
6 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Brandon

Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 18, 2013, 01:43:00 PM
It is soda, you get a can of sprite it says Lemon-Lime Soda on the side, that is what i used to prove it is called soda

And Faygo has a flavor called "Red Pop".  Your point?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on January 18, 2013, 02:18:53 PM

I'll bet if we enumerated the number of drinks marked "soda" and the number of drinks marked "pop", soda would win by about a 10:1 margin at least.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

english si

Quote from: realjd on January 18, 2013, 01:32:28 PMException: bourbon. They bottle it high-proof on purpose so when you put a couple of ice cubes in it, it doesn't get too watery. Plus you get to see how the flavors change as the ice melts.
Most bourbon is bottled at the standard 80 proof/40% abv (watered down slightly anyway). High proof whiskey can take a bit more than a few drops of water, but it's less the watering down that's the problem with ice in Whiskey, but the cold (see, for instance, here, where they recommend a cube of ice in high-proof whiskey, but to leave it to warm up). This has no problem with a bit of water and recommends it, but says a big no to ice. The flavours change by improving greatly as the drink warms up!

Same with other drinks - what's wrong with cellar cold? Even fridge cold is often too warm and you have to make it ice cold - dulling the flavour. And the way you do that is to add so much ice that when it melts, there's about 50% water and 50% soda/pop/coke!

1995hoo

I find that if I drink Booker's (generally bottled at around 126 proof) I usually need one ice cube to cut its rather severe bite. My brother once said that Booker's with no ice will make the hair on your balls stand on end. I think that's as good a description as any I've heard.

But otherwise, I drink them all neat.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

realjd

Quote from: english si on January 18, 2013, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: realjd on January 18, 2013, 01:32:28 PMException: bourbon. They bottle it high-proof on purpose so when you put a couple of ice cubes in it, it doesn't get too watery. Plus you get to see how the flavors change as the ice melts.
Most bourbon is bottled at the standard 80 proof/40% abv (watered down slightly anyway). High proof whiskey can take a bit more than a few drops of water, but it's less the watering down that's the problem with ice in Whiskey, but the cold (see, for instance, here, where they recommend a cube of ice in high-proof whiskey, but to leave it to warm up). This has no problem with a bit of water and recommends it, but says a big no to ice. The flavours change by improving greatly as the drink warms up!

Same with other drinks - what's wrong with cellar cold? Even fridge cold is often too warm and you have to make it ice cold - dulling the flavour. And the way you do that is to add so much ice that when it melts, there's about 50% water and 50% soda/pop/coke!

I've admittedly never purchased bourbon in the UK market, but here in the states, any bourbon that isn't Jim Beam is at least 90 proof (and Jack Daniels isn't bourbon). And don't add enough ice to make it 50% water; just add enough to take the bite off of the high proof alcohol. Usually it only takes a couple of ice cubes. And a slight chill lends itself to bourbon since it's less refines than scotch.

Scott5114

Quote from: Brandon on January 18, 2013, 02:18:53 PM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on January 18, 2013, 01:43:00 PM
It is soda, you get a can of sprite it says Lemon-Lime Soda on the side, that is what i used to prove it is called soda

Faygo Redpop is not fit for human consumption, so...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sykotyk

Quote from: kphoger on January 14, 2013, 01:04:07 PM
As I posted in the cola wars thread, I grew up "pop" but have been converted to "soda" by my wife.

When we lived in southern Illinois, some people called it "sodie" or "sodie pop".  But, then, they also said "terlet paper", so there goes any credibility.

I had a classmate in college who, upon moving from "soda" country to Chicago, was once asked if he would like a pop.  He answered:  No thanks, I don't do drugs.  He honestly had no idea that "pop" referred to soda.

On a tangent.....
Do you call it a soda machine, a pop machine, or a coke machine? Pop Machine
Do you call it a soda fountain, a pop fountain, or a coke fountain? Soda Fountain
Do you call it a soda distributor, a pop distributor, or a code distributor? Pop Distributor
Are any of your answers different than what you call soda/pop/coke? Yes, it's Pop. Soda Fountains are things at old Apothecary shops

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 19, 2013, 02:06:59 PM

Amen.  I remember liking Big Red.  What was I thinking!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Isn't Faygo Redpop strawberry soda? I thought Big Red was something else entirely.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2013, 06:52:18 PM

All this talk, and now I have a slight craving for some Cherokee Red, which I haven't had in years.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on January 19, 2013, 08:42:21 PM
Isn't Faygo Redpop strawberry soda? I thought Big Red was something else entirely.

I am pretty sure they have a strawberry soda that isn't the Redpop. They have peach and orange, both labeled just that, so I don't know why they'd break convention for strawberry.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

exit322

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 20, 2013, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2013, 06:52:18 PM

All this talk, and now I have a slight craving for some Cherokee Red, which I haven't had in years.

Sorry for the bump for this...but it's actually "Cherikee Red."  Yep, they spell "Cherokee" wrong...makes it classier, I think.  It doesn't taste as good as I remember it, but it doesn't really matter now that I've taken the artificial food colorings (FD&C Red 40, in this case) out of my diet.

bandit957

Pop is what bubble gum does, so we usually call it something else to avoid confusion.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

slorydn1

Its whatever flavor I'm in the mood for that day: Cream Soda, Root Beer, Orange Crush, Mountain Dew, Pepsi (coke is something that's added to the mixture to make steel and isn't fit for drinking).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on May 13, 2017, 09:53:10 PM
Pop is what bubble gum does, so we usually call it something else to avoid confusion.

Soda is a caustic substance.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

I'll have iced tea, please

SM-G930V

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

slorydn1

Quote from: US71 on May 13, 2017, 11:47:21 PM

SM-G930V

Make that a SWEET tea.... :-D
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

jwolfer

SM-G930V
Down South no need to say Iced... Tea is sweet and iced and brewed..not instant... You have to qualify "Hot tea"

LGMS428

Roadgeekteen

I call it soda, I have never heard anyone call in anything else.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Pop, and I'm a Minnesotan who moved to Texas

texaskdog

Quote from: jwolfer on May 14, 2017, 12:05:04 AM

SM-G930V
Down South no need to say Iced... Tea is sweet and iced and brewed..not instant... You have to qualify "Hot tea"

LGMS428

Sweet or unsweet?

jp the roadgeek

Always called it soda, except there is a distributor in my area called Pop Shop, but we all know they distribute sodas.  I have heard tonic used in greater Boston.  Coastal people (including Californians) call it soda.  Midwesterners (Cleveland, Denver) call it pop.  My Texan friend said any carbonated beverage is called Coke.  Tea and coffee are served hot unless specified as iced and add ins are only added as requested.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

TheHighwayMan3561

I went to a pizza buffet in Denton in fall 2015. It was one of those buffets where the drink is an extra charge. I instinctively asked the guy at the counter for a cup for pop and he didn't know what pop was. Realizing this I rephrased to "fountain drink" and he understood. It should be noted that English wasn't his first language so it was understandable that he didn't know, but I still find it an amusing story.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

epzik8

I'm from Maryland, if the Maryland flag to the left of this post didn't make it obvious enough, and it's pretty much universally "soda". I have been through "pop country", however. And apparently calling every soda Coke is a Texas thing?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: epzik8 on May 14, 2017, 03:36:27 AM
I'm from Maryland, if the Maryland flag to the left of this post didn't make it obvious enough, and it's pretty much universally "soda". I have been through "pop country", however. And apparently calling every soda Coke is a Texas thing?

It certainly is a thing....  I've lived so many places that I generally just found it either to call a particular carbonated beverage by the actual name; Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper, ect.  The Mid-West was really big on "pop" while the east coast was big on "Soda."  Around places like Texas, New Mexico, and some of the surrounding states it would be "Coke."  Granted some of the regional slangs have started to fall apart in the last couple decades across some regions as people are migrating towards the Sun Belt.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.