News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Southern Ohio: SR 823 / Portsmouth Bypass

Started by seicer, June 17, 2013, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Quote from: hbelkins on June 11, 2017, 03:50:19 PM
Drove up there yesterday to scout for a potential meet. The one thing that jumps out at me is just how few exits there are going to be. No exits for OH 335 or 139? I realize the terrain is difficult for 335, but still I'm a bit surprised.

I was a bit surprised at the lack of one at 139 at first, though I suppose they either a) figured it was too close to the Shumway Hollow exit, and/or b) wanted it on Lucasville-Minford Rd because that is the road the nearby state prison is on. Besides, local traffic from 139 wanting to get on the bypass can easily get to Lucasville-Minford Rd.

As for 335, the Shumway-Hollow/Portsmouth Airport interchange is its interchange, as it will be directly adjacent to it. I would imagine that exit will be signed "To 335." And yes, the terrain is difficult for the spot where the bypass crosses 335 and the Little Scioto River, and it would have been an unnecessary expenditure IMO to try putting an interchange there.

Buck87

Here are a couple recent articles about this project:

http://www.enr.com/articles/42326-ohios-first-p3-is-its-biggest-road-project-ever

http://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/17424/bypass-hits-two-year-mark

One key point from the 2nd article is that the project is over 75% complete and that they are still planning on a December 2018 opening. And the first article mentions that of the 20 million cu yd of earth that needs to be removed in this project, 17 million is already done.   

GCrites

That first article really oversells the economic benefits if you ask me. Sure there will probably be lots of benefit to the private owners of the 3P...

Buck87

sparker

Quote from: Buck87 on August 20, 2017, 01:05:01 PM
The latest flyover video of the project (shot on Aug 8, posted on Aug 17):

https://www.facebook.com/1697517183812433/videos/2001908813373267/

Looks like the northern end is farther along toward completion than the southern; but from the photos I'd say that a December 2018 planned opening may find itself "subject to delay", so to speak.  I'd venture a guess that late summer to early fall 2019 would be more like it, given that the segment just north of the US 52 interchange still needs to be fully graded!

Buck87

JREwing78

sparker

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 08, 2017, 12:20:48 AM
Someone is clearly a Tom Petty fan. :)

Seeing is how he wrote & recorded so many modern standards in the genre over his career, chances are for at least the next couple of months he'll be memorialized by a deluge of his recordings and/or covers of his songs.  Just as long as the ironically cynical "Into the Great Wide Open" is in the rotation, I for one don't mind it at all! 

Buck87

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/OHDOT-1d4712b

From this press release about a temporary local road closure:

"Currently, the project to construct Ohio's single, largest earthwork project and first public-private partnership is nearly 90 percent complete, with pavement and bridges, on average, 67 percent complete"

I've driven past a few of the interchanges this weekend, which are starting to look pretty nice. One thing I've noticed is that all the bridges that the bypass uses to cross existing roads seem to be quite a bit higher than average grade spearation bridges.

VS988

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Buck87 on February 04, 2018, 12:49:47 PM
I've driven past a few of the interchanges this weekend, which are starting to look pretty nice. One thing I've noticed is that all the bridges that the bypass uses to cross existing roads seem to be quite a bit higher than average grade separation bridges.

To be expected if the surface road is down in a valley and the freeway is crossing said valley.  Less elevation change for the freeway.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Buck87

Lucasville-Minford Road is now open again after being closed for the instalation of bridge beams. This pic was posted on the SOVMH Facebook page:

VS988

Buck87

Looking at the official Ohio map, it's going to be interesting to see how they incorporate this new bypass into it. The area where it runs is currently pretty cluttered with place names and local roads. The Ohio map generally does not have place names written directly over freeways (with a few exceptions in dense areas that have an insert on the back), so it's likely most of those place names will have to be moved around, and they'll have to get pretty creative to keep everything on there.

seicer

Clarktown, Rubyville and Twin Valley along SR 139 are pretty much dots on the map and can go away - as is Sciotodale along SR 140.

Buck87

Quote from: seicer on February 26, 2018, 01:24:35 PM
Clarktown, Rubyville and Twin Valley along SR 139 are pretty much dots on the map and can go away - as is Sciotodale along SR 140.

Rubyville and Twin Valley are not in the way at all and Clarktown is only barely in the way and can easily be moved to the other side of 139.

The things that are in the way are Sciotodale, Sciotoville, Portsmouth, the OH 335 shield, the 3 mile indicator, Minford, Muletown, Southern Ohio Correctional Institute and the County Fairground symbol.

Avalanchez71

Are they trying to kill the local economy?

Buck87

After looking at the map a little more I began thinking of ways if could be rearranged while still keeping everything, and then decided to have a go at it myself by messing around with it in MS Paint. Here's what I came up with:

seicer

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 26, 2018, 04:07:01 PM
Are they trying to kill the local economy?

The loss of Detroit Steel and virtually all of the heavy industry that defined the area helped kill Portsmouth/New Boston's economy in the 1980's. Drugs and hopelessness are helping kill the area today. It's depressing to drive through once stable areas and see what it's all become. (Grew up just outside of Portsmouth.)

dvferyance

It will be nice when it opens will provide a better route from Indianapolis to Charleston without having to go south on I-65 then back track a bit northward on I-64. I wish they would get rid of more traffic lights on OH 32.

hbelkins

Quote from: dvferyance on March 23, 2018, 01:05:18 PM
It will be nice when it opens will provide a better route from Indianapolis to Charleston without having to go south on I-65 then back track a bit northward on I-64. I wish they would get rid of more traffic lights on OH 32.

I can't see any traffic from the Indianapolis area heading to Charleston opting for anything but US 35, once West Virginia finishes four-laning its portion.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 01:34:57 PM

I can't see any traffic from the Indianapolis area heading to Charleston opting for anything but US 35, once West Virginia finishes four-laning its portion.

Unless pigs sprout wings and the Portsmouth bypass is extended west to OH 32 near Peebles (as per the original I-74 plans), the OH 32 option will never be considered an efficient route to WV from northwest points.  Besides, that routing means one has to negotiate Cincinnati, which optimally involves hitting I-275 during non-peak hours.   US 35 --  the pending "superstreet" concept east of Dayton notwithstanding -- will be a much better bet if & when the WV segment is fully upgraded.     

Henry

Quote from: sparker on March 23, 2018, 05:27:58 PM

Unless pigs sprout wings and the Portsmouth bypass is extended west to OH 32 near Peebles (as per the original I-74 plans), the OH 32 option will never be considered an efficient route to WV from northwest points.  Besides, that routing means one has to negotiate Cincinnati, which optimally involves hitting I-275 during non-peak hours.   US 35 --  the pending "superstreet" concept east of Dayton notwithstanding -- will be a much better bet if & when the WV segment is fully upgraded.     
I agree, I-70-US 35-I-64 will always be the route of choice between Indy and Charleston, because it's the most direct one out there. Even if I-74 were to be extended along OH 32, they'd still use US 35 instead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Revive 755

I recall US 35 having a lot of wonderful speed and redlight cameras in the Dayton area.  Not that I've checked the rest of the US 35 or OH 32 corridors, but I do recall the Cincinnati area generally not having them.  Plus I-74 between Cincinnati and Dayton seems to be a bit more pleasant than I-70 from Richmond to Indianapolis.

hbelkins

Not to mention, there's no good route from Portsmouth to I-64 that doesn't involve:

1.) Going through downtown Ashland.
2.) Possible large falling boulders on US 52 and the OHP speed traps between Wheelersburg and South Point.
3.) Backtracking (going west) on KY 67.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: Henry on March 24, 2018, 01:20:54 AM
Quote from: sparker on March 23, 2018, 05:27:58 PM

I agree, I-70-US 35-I-64 will always be the route of choice between Indy and Charleston, because it's the most direct one out there. Even if I-74 were to be extended along OH 32, they'd still use US 35 instead.

Taking I-74 from Indy to I-275 east to I-71 north to US 35 in Jeffersonville only adds 4 miles to the trip.

Buck87

I was just having a look at some pics the SOVMH Facebook page posted last month...and this one caught me off gaurd...as I did not know there was going to be a bridge of this culvert/tunnel style on this project. This is bridge 6a over Stout Hollow Rd, which didn't appear at all on the original video animation, and wasn't this far along when the last flyover was shot.

VS988

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.